360 cameras - which one is the best?

Aneta

26 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

There's going to be more work put in to desktop software in the future. We swung too hard in the direction of mobile apps IMO, but in fairness that was immediately after the drone and media businesses were wound down and the company had to cut costs to get back to profitability. None of that helps you, the customer, but now that GoPro is profitable again, there will be a lot more focus on making sure we don't leave group of customers behind. Those kind of tough decisions are behind us.

Proof is in the pudding. It's not that I dont believe you, its that I don't believe its entirely in your control and theyve been saying things for years. I'm not overly surprised however, as I'm in the VAST minority that doesnt use a cell phone nor uses rental software. Us old hounds are getting rarer and business' make money by catering to the masses, not the minority. I wonder what % of customer base is actually strictly windows desktop users? I am, simply because its what i've always built and it supports lots of harware, including large multi-monitors for my blind ass.

I've been a gopro user since the hero3. I simply enjoy the hardware and its as close to a usa company as I expect. Aside from the random freeze of my hero7, I can't complain of the quality. I still use a hero 3, 7 and max. Quality batteries for the 3 are getting rare tho. The new 'insurance' offer is also hard to ignore, tho I have a few dents in a camera I just don't want to send in. I will admit that the audio on the Max is quite impressive.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

On 5/8/2021 at 2:13 AM, Jon Stern said:

There's going to be more work put in to desktop software in the future. We swung too hard in the direction of mobile apps IMO, but in fairness that was immediately after the drone and media businesses were wound down and the company had to cut costs to get back to profitability. None of that helps you, the customer, but now that GoPro is profitable again, there will be a lot more focus on making sure we don't leave group of customers behind. Those kind of tough decisions are behind us.

I hope this is true. I also want to support GoPro. They didn't leave me behind, I left them. The tough decisions are not over until you actually put out some good Windows software. And I don't mean a simplistic exporter. It has to include reframing for 360. Depending on a plugin for Adobe that hangs when you try to use it is a failed strategy and passes the buck. If you want a bunch of customers back that is the only thing keeping us from buying GoPro again. Until then, I'm buying anything but GoPro.

• Like 2

My second video with the Insta360 One X2, learning the quirks now, a bit higher quality than my first video, editing takes a lot of time but damn it's fun!

• Like 2

On 5/9/2021 at 11:51 AM, Rawnei said:

My second video with the Insta360 One X2, learning the quirks now, a bit higher quality than my first video, editing takes a lot of time but damn it's fun!

Yeah, for me, it's a love hate relationship.  yes you can concentrate more on the ride than spend time in post framing all your shots.  But it can be time-consuming especially if you're like me getting distracted by finding details you missed.

I just scratched a lens for the second time last week.  Dang those lenses and how they invite scratches!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rich Sam said:

I just scratched a lens for the second time last week.  Dang those lenses and how they invite scratches!!

This is why the first lens element in the GoPro Max lenses is designed with one of the hardest optical glasses available. They're not indestructible, but it's a detail that most of the other 360 camera vendors miss.

8 hours ago, Rich Sam said:

Yeah, for me, it's a love hate relationship.  yes you can concentrate more on the ride than spend time in post framing all your shots.  But it can be time-consuming especially if you're like me getting distracted by finding details you missed.

You have the lends guards? It's a must!

On 5/10/2021 at 10:59 PM, Rawnei said:

You have the lends guards? It's a must!

I don't... I read several reviews that it messes with stitching.  What is your finding?

Edited by Rich Sam

On 5/13/2021 at 12:34 AM, Rich Sam said:

I don't... I read several reviews that it messes with stitching.  What is your finding?

Only a tiny bit sometimes, barely noticeable, also creates a bit of a glare but also not by a lot, worth the tradeoffs for sure, there is an option for Lens Guard stitching when you reframe in Insta360 Studio.

• 6 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 7:51 PM, Rawnei said:

What are you using the do the stats overlay?

1 hour ago, GoldenOne said:

What are you using the do the stats overlay?

EUC World data to Dashware but it's a hassle to sync the data since video timestamp is not accurate on Insta360 so I stopped doing it.