360 cameras - which one is the best?

Aneta

I want to buy a 360-degree camera, but I'm a complete noob at 360 cameras. (I currently use GoPro 7 Black, it's great!) Insta One X seems to be popular. Is the new GoPro Max better? Which one has the least artifacts where it stitches the frames? Which one has the best, most intuitive and easy to use software for choosing/rotating point of view?

• Like 1

I am also very interested in the answer to this. It seems to GoPro Max was released, but Amazon and everyone else doesn't have it available to order. There is a lack of serious reviews by regular people because I don't think it's readily available. The GoPro Max has in camera stitching while the InstaOne X does not.

https://360rumors.com/first-gopro-max-hands-reviews-posted/

I think it might be best to wait until we hear a little more about how the Max works in the real world. 

• Like 1

For starters, I want to use a 360 camera on my helmet as a "see it all" dashcam, just in case something dangerous happens - e.g. a car passes too close or cuts me off as in road rage. Is the resolution of these cameras good enough to read the license plate of a passing car?

• Like 1

GoPro Max is staring to become available. It started shipping on Oct 22nd.

I just looked at some footage I took with GoPro Max and I think it'll be pretty hard to read license plates of passing cars to be honest. I looked at some parked cars I rode past on the SF group ride a few weeks ago, and it's difficult to make out the plates.

• Like 2

I use the older insta 360 one that shoots only 4K. I’m very happy with mine, There is a newer version, insta 360 one X that shoots 5.7k. It’s resonantly priced compared to the go pro 360.

The GoPro Max has the benefit of a screen, which makes the UI much easier to navigate. It also can function as a super-stabilized conventional action camera. There are a lot of other nice features, like PowerPano too.

The audio is much better than Insta360's, and it’s waterproof and rugged. Oh, and there's voice control.

The image quality differences aren't that great, although footage straight out of the camera is punchier and has more detail than the Insta360.

Oh, in bright sunlight, one lens of the Insta360 will flare badly, which reveals the stitch and generally looks nasty.

The Insta360 costs less and is lighter.

My recommendation is to buy the GoPro Max, but full disclosure: I'm biased as I work for GoPro.

• Like 1

I just recently bought a Qoocam because I heard they were going to revise the Insta360 OneX possibly by the end of the year or early next year and figured I'd get the revised one.
The Qoocam had some other features, 3D and longer batterylife, that I liked, but after I started posting some vids to my instagram (@mazzato if you wanna check em out) the company mentioned they were going to release or announce a new model on the 7th of Nov.

So it might be worth waiting a bit for the new announcements to either get the newer models or seeing if you can get some current models for cheaper as I'm sure ppl will be trying to sell to pay towards a new model.

These YouTube guys have some pretty good comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiN9wHXYLkU
Has some good video examples and technical details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDv-M5Sk06Q&t=983s 
Has a good breakdown categorizing all the cameras

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 9:41 AM, Superdoop said:

I just recently bought a Qoocam because I heard they were going to revise the Insta360 OneX possibly by the end of the year or early next year and figured I'd get the revised one.
The Qoocam had some other features, 3D and longer batterylife, that I liked, but after I started posting some vids to my instagram (@mazzato if you wanna check em out) the company mentioned they were going to release or announce a new model on the 7th of Nov. 

I've been very interested in this too and they just announced a killer 360 camera with 8k resolution. 

https://www.kandaovr.com/qoocam-8k/

Kandao-QooCam-8K.png

Now we don't know pricing or availability yet, but if someone hears some news, please let me know. 

OK, Wow, just, wow! It's available for pre-order for $589 shipping in December. 

The specs and initial review are here. This literally blows away All competition if they can deliver on half of what they are promising. 

https://360rumors.com/kandao-qoocam-8k-360-camera-beyond-max/

Image9-1.jpg

I guess I'm the only one this excited about the possibility here. :clap3:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aneta said:

Coocam is impressive, but it would be quite unwieldly on top of the helmet. GoPro Max would be more suitable as a helmet dashcam, no? (Insta One also looks more like an antenna)

This is my concern as well.  That's why I've been eyeballing the Rylo as an alternative choice.

On 11/4/2019 at 5:41 PM, Superdoop said:

Is the 7th Nov you mention there referring to the Insta360? I was watching a youtube video yesterday where the guy mentioned Insta360 were announcing a new model on the 7th Nov. But so far I can't find a thing on Google. The Insta360 One X might not have all the features of the new GoPro Max, but it just seems so much neater to place on a helmet etc.

20 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Can you get the disappearing selfie stick effect with the GoPro Max?

I think I'm leaning toward the Insta360 OneX.

The Max has slightly better color tones, but the Insta360 OneX has the best invisible selfie stick feature (nadir stitching). Even though the OneX is over a year old, the Max didn't really improve the resolution and the GoPro post processing software has lots of issues. So, I agree with your thoughts on this. The only thing is that I worry about is if the Insta360 OneX might not come out with a new model pretty soon and I HATE buyers remorse. There is nothing substantial about an imminent new version, it's just me being paranoid...

I have a Rylo that I use for a helmet cam. I like it because it's really small. 

There is a few things I'd like to address, though: 
Battery Life - It doesn't run very long, especially on 5.8k resolution. The batteries are cheap (Like $20), but expect maybe 45 minutes a battery. You also cannot charge while filming.
Resolution - 5.8k sounds nice, but it's not quite clear enough to read licence plates and stuff all the time. That being said, it's not bad either. Low Light is also not the greatest. 
App - You can really only edit in the app, or apple app. There is no PC app, and no plans to make one. The app is very easy to use though, and has some neat features like time lapse, object following etc. 

Honestly, it sounds like the company is dying off, and they're trying to slowly liquidate their product. You can get one for $200 right now, which is insane for a 360 camera. 

Here's a video I made entirely on the Rylo. I'm fairly certain when you rip clips off your videos into regular HD/non360 videos, it's definitely not 4k, more like 1440p or something. 

Edited by Zack Wong

On 11/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, Zack Wong said:

Honestly, it sounds like the company is dying off, and they're trying to slowly liquidate their product. You can get one for $200 right now, which is insane for a 360 camera. 

Rylo is exiting the hardware business. Not a big surprise it ended up this way.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:31 AM, ZenRyder said:

I've been very interested in this too and they just announced a killer 360 camera with 8k resolution. 

https://www.kandaovr.com/qoocam-8k/

Kandao-QooCam-8K.png

Now we don't know pricing or availability yet, but if someone hears some news, please let me know. 

Yeah, I hadn't even had my old QooCam for a month but when I saw this I broke down and pre-ordered it lol, hopefully it lives up to it's potential. 

On 11/18/2019 at 12:40 AM, Zack Wong said:

Damn, that's kinda sad to hear. That was the one I originally wanted, it seems like a solid cam.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be interesting if some of the 360 cameras could focus on being helmet "dash" cams. (for potential accidents)
Not so important with pretty pictures, but needs to record for hours straight, possibly run on external power (usb powerbank?)

• Like 1

Ok, hold off on any 360 camera buying decisions.

Have you guys seen this??

Looks like the Insta360 folks are going to one up the GoPro team again. The GoPro Max still hasn't delivered on Desktop software for Windows. :eff0541f4a:

I'm glad I held off on the QooCam 8k until I see what Insta360 has up their sleeve.

:w00t2:

5 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Ok, hold off on any 360 camera buying decisions.

Have you guys seen this??

Looks like the Insta360 folks are going to one up the GoPro team again. The GoPro Max still hasn't delivered on Desktop software for Windows. :eff0541f4a:

I'm glad I held off on the QooCam 8k until I see what Insta360 has up their sleeve.

:w00t2:

360 drone apparently. I only use my Mavic for less than 10 times since I bought it 3 years ago. Even though it's the most portable drone with good video quality at that time, it's still cumbersome to bring everywhere and need at least 5 min to setup and go. Not to mention I cannot fly most of the time because of restricted airspace regulation. Recording device is only worth it if you want to use it it often. Get insta360 One X now if anyone want the best all around 360 cam.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kens said:

360 drone apparently.

I don't think it's a drone. They are playing off the fact that you can get footage that looks like it was shot on a drone. It's an all in one camera which is how GoPro is positioning the GoPro Max 360. It's marketing (by definition not scientific/accurate). They are also pitching it at CES. This link suggests an all in one camera:

https://www.notebookcheck.com/Insta360-Teaser-All-In-One-Cam-mit-Action-360-Grad-Cam-Drohne-und-1-Zoll-Sensor.448895.0.html

Well, looking at the CEO's tweet, maybe it is a drone or a camera connected to a drone...

:blink:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Following this very closely. I do enjoy the gopro quality and durability, but for almost a decade I have been left behind as a windows user. I have gopros that Ive never gotten much potential out of, because I cant seem to find a decent software solution that isnt rented or thousands. I ALMOST bought the bullet and oredered a MAX, but am still worried about their lack of win (now win10) support. Then theres the insta360 and 360r. Seems like they cant fullfill orders and theres also a huge outcry of issues with firmware and software. I dont understand why so much is being developed for these bs handheld devices with tiny screens, yet windows users are being neglected?! Isnt the majority of users still on windows, on planet earth? Theres also the consideration of which camera can have lenses repaired when they get damaged. Ugh, such expensive choices and NONE of them seem like a very stable investment. I guess buying new and keeping the paperwork is the only way to know. Sadly, the ratio of success seems low nowadays.

I bought into the Insta360 One R ecosystem. 

My initial unboxing and thoughts:

My latest video:

You're right that the Insta360 One R firmware has been a little rough around the edges. However, there have been two updates already so I'm encouraged by that. 

The windows software is very good and the reframing features are excellent. So much better than the non-existing GoPro software. 

I need to do a video on what I've learned. 

• Like 1

This is a GREAT update for me Zen, thanks. I do like the gopro idea, and I am a fan they have been around for a while.. BUT.. ignoring windows users for so long? Im not a big fan of the way all these companies are getting a product 60% completed and selling them in such a manner. Imagine if you bought a car, but the dealer SWEARS the headlight and cruise control will be fixed soon, just keep checking back. Of course, you gotta pay them the 100% and just hope.  Seems that we the public are accepting the new model that is letting business' only partially invest in their ideas. Used to be you had to invest big and it was ALL or NOTHING. Now they can gamble with our money too, not just theirs. Anyhow, thats a rant of epic size and it is what it is. I will look harder at the insta360r again, you may have swayed me as I was teetering. What version did you end up with, what it cost ya, and how long you have to wait to get it? Notice any dealbreakers yet? Imnot interested in what the CLAIM they will fix, I would like to know what you really have in your hand, not a story tale. What editor are you using? Im not afraid to invest in software, but I'll be damned if i support another shit program on accident. I'll inspect that vid really closely, just gna take an hour of downloading and buffering to see it in high def. DId you notice any losses on upload? Tell me you have tried the lens covers already and they will work magic?!!! I see the dreaded red dot in your vid.. omfg thats amazing they let it go. I just KNOW that any camera i get, will eventually scrape pavement, and protecting those protruding lenses is HIGH on my list, especially if they arent replaceable easily. These cameras represent almost 2 weeks of fulltime work, so perhaps expectations and perspectives differ across the income ranges... The video looks almost like a video game. It seems to keep you focused well, the backround not so much. Surely this isnt you speaking in realtime thru a helmet mic or even using the camera for sond at all? I keep reading that the gopro Max does kinda eath the insta for lunch on that. Whew those trails look hard on the ole joints, I dont envy you that! Thanks again!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1