Vacuum cleaners, bedroom burnout and electric motors

Bob Eisenman

So.....I bought an inexpensive (< $100) vacuum cleaner a few years ago (green vacuum on the left).

Vacuum cleaners

The price was right, it uses a filter capture bin rather than custom paper bags to collect floor dust and is not too heavy.

In practice, using the green vacuum was a less optimal cleaning experience than I wished for. It's function as a replacement for the ailing belt drive Hoover upright vacuum had some issues. Firstly the rotating brushes spool was half the Hoover's diameter, barely could be used on shag carpet and clogged the brushes with carpet fiber.

Secondly, over time, as the polysynth fiber filter in the bagless dust collection bin (which traps dirt and allows clean filtered air to pass back out) became clogged with dust. Replacement filters were not an option and cleaning the filter with a toothbrush and running water was a messy task.

Thirdly, the extra amperage required to power the motor to pull air through the filter and collection bin caused the green vacuum cleaner to auto shut off after only a few minutes of hardwood floor cleaning. 

The vacuum's self reset time for the vacuum cleaner was hours long. Disassembly of the 'hot' motor from the vacuum and manual turning of the motor seemed to remedy the auto shut down. However, in minutes the motor burnout scenario would repeat due to over amperage issues related to a clogged air filter in the collection bin.

Moving into a new apartment 'a few years ago' left floor cleaning a mix of manual dust mop use with short bursts of the green machine vacuum.

So....the dust had been collecting to a noticeable level in the bedroom, atop baseboard heaters, shelf surfaces, etc. It was time to reinvest in a new vacuum cleaner. 

Having checked out the local Target's inventory of vacuum cleaners a range of models was found ( both less than $100 and much greater than $100) I mounted my Gotway Monster and set off to the Target store a mile away.

I selected the red Dirt Devil seen on the right in the photo. The 12 pound item carried well in my arms as I rode the Monster back to the apartment.

After assembly I set about to the task of cleaning a much neglected room. After a few hours of meticulous searching for dust behind, atop and around room objects my first Dirt Devil vacuuming experience was done.

Bedroom dust collected

And the canister contents emptied into the trash.

Emptied Dirt Devil canister

My new Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner survived burnout bedroom dust collection with it's efficient motor , matched appropriate motor amperage, clear dust bin filtering and easy collection dust disposal.

Why buy a Roomba ..... At least for now.😄

• 11 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:29 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Moving into a new apartment 'a few years ago' left floor cleaning a mix of manual dust mop use with short bursts of the green machine vacuum.

So....the dust had been collecting to a noticeable level in the bedroom, atop baseboard heaters, shelf surfaces, etc. It was time to reinvest in a new vacuum cleaner. 

Oh, I understand that. Once I got my heater burned out because of goddamn DUST IN IT

anyway

Are you happy with you new VC? cause Im looking to buy one, and this model is just right in my budget

• Like 1