Best reaction to your EUC

Joker10

Reading these posts is hilarious.

When I first started riding, I practiced in a school parking lot.  There were some 7-8 year olds nearby playing on a jungle gym watching me fall on my ass.  One of them: "Do you even know how to ride that?"  I'm grumbling to myself "no, goddamnit, that's why I'm practicing."

2 months later I'm slowly passing by an elderly gentleman on a walk and I hear him adorably proclaim "well I'll be!"

Edited by leadfeathers
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, xorbe said:

I get tired of hearing "do a wheelie".  I've started replying with "I can't, it's all wheel drive".

I once had a kid on a bike that started doing wheelies just in front of me while shouting 'look I can ride on one wheel too!'
Annoying teenager!

• Like 2

On 11/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, Tazarinho said:

Most people react with a smile, some with instant dislike.

Funniest comment: While passing a kindergarten class, one of the kids pointing with an astonished face 'Oooh my goooood, What the f*ck is THAT!'
I was very impressed by his mastery of English at such a young age. :)

Funniest silent comment: Middle aged jogger sees me coming, comes to full stop, and looks at me, mouth hanging open and turns to watch me drive past.

Funny, but on the opposite side of the spectrum: Grumpy old man yelling from his porch: ' 'k hoop dat ge uw bakkes breekt op uw onnozel ding' which roughly translates to 'I hope you break your ugly face on that ridiculous thing"

That are my experiances too. 99% of all reactions are postiv or very positiv. 1% of negativ reactions comes from very old men and never from old woman. some of the old woman reacting with fear. i must add ...  since im driving the MTen3 i got only positv reactions, even if i drive slowly on the sidewalk between peoples which is not allowed here. i thing the mten3 is more seen as a toy like a scateboard or something like that.

Edited by milesteg27
adding something
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

I once had a kid on a bike that started doing wheelies just in front of me while shouting 'look I can ride on one wheel too!'
Annoying teenager!

Maybe it's a problem in translation, but what is "annoying" about this? It's just some kid interacting with you:)

This thread is awesome! So much fun reading.

Not really the best reactions but just reactions.

Once I was riding down a road (funny enough lol) and passed a man and a woman. After I passed them, I heard the lady say "whaaat theeee fuuuuck". I couldn't stop laughing lol.

I have also had the usual "how much does it cost", which I totally understand why they'd ask, but hella uncomfortable when it's literally the one and only thing they ask. Last time I acted like I was thinking and once the light signal turned green I said "whoops, im sorry. Light is green" and rode off.

I have also had one of those wtf momemts where you start to feel like you are being follow. I had a guy (and probably wife and children) drive next to me for a kilometer or so. In a light signal he was about to go in the turn-right-lane just to get right next to me EVEN THOUGH HE HAD TO GO STRAIGHT. Someone came a blocked his way though. Whenever there was nothing blocking his way, he drove onto the parking spots right next to me. Then at one point I got eye contact with him and he looked really angry and didn't say a thing or do something with his arms. Guess it was his children that wanted to see what I was riding. I ended up taking a sharp turn down a road where I could escape on an only-bike road. That was weird...

Then there is also people at work. I feel like there are three types of people.

1. The one who doesn't seem to look and doesn't say a single word about it but probably thinks "wtf". (I feel a bit awkward when working with those...)

2. The one who looks weird but doesn't say a thing. (a bit more awkward lol)

3. The one "ohh what is that" and seem interested. (Those are usually really nice if they do actually find it interesting)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Legend27 said:

I have also had the usual "how much does it cost", which I totally understand why they'd ask, but hella uncomfortable when it's literally the one and only thing they ask. Last time I acted like I was thinking and once the light signal turned green I said "whoops, im sorry. Light is green" and rode off.

You can get the cheapest ones for $500, all the way up to $3000.
You can also add Most expensive ones can go 70km/h... But that's a suicide. or Considering that a wheel can last for 20.000 km, that's a good investment.
A reasonable one that has range of 40km can be bought for around a $1000.

I honestly don't get the stigma of talking about money. It's just a conversation topic, albeit a very important one! ;)

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

I honestly don't get the stigma of talking about money. It's just a conversation topic, albeit a very important one! ;)

It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that the EUC's are expensive and you could easily become a mark/target 🎯 for nefarious activities. :o

What I tend to do is give them Speedy-feet website and they can find out for themselves. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KAY GEE said:

It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that the EUC's are expensive and you could easily become a mark/target 🎯 for nefarious activities. :o

You're right. I sometimes forget that I live in one of the safest countries on the planet. :whistling: Although AFAIK UK isn't bad either...

Then you can just say You can buy one for $500. You didn't answer the question, but you didn't lie either. ;)

4 hours ago, KAY GEE said:

@atdlzpae

THIS. If someone at work or someone I had conversation with asks, I always say the price. But random peeps, no no no....

• Like 2

To random peple I usualy say it was second-hand and from friend, so it was cheap. Even if I bought it as new and for full price +-500€ (v5f). I understand the discussion about money at work(the previous comment with the Adam's video), but random stranger on street asking how much my electroni device cost? Nahh... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe it's a problem in translation, but what is "annoying" about this? It's just some kid interacting with you

Yeah, but before that he was cutting into the bike lane in front of me, braking just in front of me and so on.

The vibe I got was that he wanted to show he was the coolest person on the street (which I never challenged), or that he didn't like being passed by a EUC.
It felt a bit like when you're driving in your car minding your own business and some souped up sports car pulls up next to you at the traffic lights and tries to get you to race them. And then when you don't bite they'll brake just in front of you either because you annoyed them or they get a kick out of it. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The "how much it cost comment" also makes me uncomfortable.. when else would it be okay to ask someone you dont know the price of something like a car, motorcycle etc ?

I live in a ..urban city...and getting surrounded by 10 dudes late night who hang on the corner asking me how much that costs is a little awkward.  Luckily I live where you can legally carry a concealed handgun :) 

• Like 3

On 11/29/2019 at 8:11 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

Living in a college town the responses are great best I’ve got was:

A group of girls in an SUV that almost ran me over trying to chase me down, all with their phones out recording me, and as I’m making a left turn and them a right turn, one of the girls boldly shouts “we should fu*k sometime!!” 

I may or may not have sped up to get a name and number 

I bet cruising around the VT campus is quite wonderful. Such a beautiful school.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Someone who was a friend of a friend videoed me on my way to work, after about a week I was able to get the vid from him. The comments on the original post are awesome!

I am riding my 16X, now have over 300 miles on it in 2 months. I love riding it to work, 5 miles each way.

• Like 3

My favorite encounter was when I went to a local pizza joint and I was in front of this really attractive mixed Indian girl who had blue green eyes. She was dressed to the nines; like she was about to do a fashion shoot or something, but here she was ordering a pizza by herself. I was thinking to myself she looked like she could be an Instagram model or something, and I caught her stealing glances at my wheel and then me. After we ordered and were waiting for our food, she started chatting me up about the wheel and how she had seen someone riding a white one yesterday. I told her that was probably me as well since I own a few different ones and was riding that one yesterday. She expressed interest in learning and we exchanged numbers after she grilled me about EUCs. She didn't call me to follow up, but nonetheless I didn't expect that reaction from someone that looked like her.

Honestly though I've become a bit jaded, and I found myself being sort of rude with some of the more aggressive reactions.

A lot of people just clearly want to get attention or use seeing you to give their boring life some little meaning by shouting at you and having a laugh with their friends or honking at you and shouting etc.

95% of people are very nice and seem genuinely interested though so I feel bad for them since I'm kinda of over talking about these things. My response is now - if you google "electric unicycles" you'll find a ton of info and great videos, they've been out for about 8 years now.  And I'm to the point where I just tell people it's a prototype when they ask the question "how much does that cost?" Because their reaction is pretty much always "Woah that's a lot" even though for what it does and can do it's a flippin' steal IMO. I hope these companies never find out I'd pay double easily for the wheels I own. The how much does it cost question is very dumb, I would never ask it personally.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 2

I went from one pub home, and when i left the pub, some tourist smoker said to other tourist: welcome to the 21st century and they both laughed. I smiled.

Edited by Ddolik
  • Like 3