Eddie A. Steiner

KS18L Lock feature & USB question...

I've had my 18L for a bit now and love it but have two questions about it's features. I've been too afraid to try the lock feature on the app because I've read more than once that people have locked their wheel and couldn't unlock it....if I read that right. What does the lock do exactly? I would love something that locks the wheel so you can lean it against a wall without it rotating when the wheel is OFF.

Next, does the 2 USB slots do more than charging your devices? I thought I read that it will auto play your MP3 music on the stick??

These are 2 questions I should already know but don't. I know these are newbie questions but still need to know...lol.

I thought the Lock feature was used for sending it in a package.  Basically, after you lock it, if you press the power button, it won't power on until it's unlocked.  That way if it someone gets turned on while packaged, it doesn't go crazy spinning up.

The lock feature turns the motor off. I have not used it in a long time and the software may have changed. The old software  would beep and blink red when you turn it on without unlocking. ( it was also used to lock the wheel during shipping)

I have not used it because in the past I have turned the Kingsong app on only to find that the app does not work today or for the next week or so. Without the app you can’t unlock your wheel. (They may have fixed this problem. )

I did read a long time ago that you could play Music from a thumb drive on one of the wheels. I have not tried it on my XL.

Edited by RockyTop

Well I can add a little more details. 

USB ports: can charge a USB device, or using a USB memory stick with MP3 music for playing music (either while driving or resting on side and with power on), last it seems it gives an option to do special FW updates. But that has yet to be used on KS18L/XL. 

The lock function: When it is shipped this is on from factory. That is why the wheel beeps if you turn it on out of box. Combine this with a BT pin, and you get a simple anti theft alarm. But do not rely on it. I have used this when parking my wheel at a nearly safe place (assigned room at conference for storing our luggage) someone can still carry the wheel. But riding and trolleying is a pain and draws attention to you. If I recall correctly the wheel will balance, but prevent motor to spin up in speed. The idea from KS is to prevent a motor burn out during shipping. 

Both are described in manual. 

Edited by Unventor

Thanks for the replies. If the lock function is basically for shipping only than they need to create a way to lock the wheel with the power off to be able to lean it against something without the wheel rotating. It seems like it would be easy and a needed option. My opinion. I'll try the USB music option and let you know.

OK, so I have my answer on the "lock feature", but still can't get a definite answer on the USB slots. Can anyone confirm that the USB DOES play music through the port or is it just for charging and updates....??? I have tried plugging in a stick to my KS 18L and got nothing. Anyone?

1 minute ago, Eddie A. Steiner said:

OK, so I have my answer on the "lock feature", but still can't get a definite answer on the USB slots. Can anyone confirm that the USB DOES play music through the port or is it just for charging and updates....??? I have tried plugging in a stick to my KS 18L and got nothing. Anyone?

1 port can use mp3 fils stores on a USB memory stick. One of them is also able to handle higher charging needed for fast changers This answer were given some time back as KS18L was launched. But I don't have the exact post of this. I have never used this, because I think it is a bit risky to have a memory stick sticking out in case you have to bail the wheel or loose control.

Then again if you lay wheel on the side and have the USB stick insert and the power on the wheel it will boot up and play music. It is same function used to USB BT update done on KS16X. 

On 10/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Eddie A. Steiner said:

If the lock function is basically for shipping

Actually, this function is not for shipping. When activated, it will turn motor off and make loud beeps when it detects that wheel is moved. So it's designed to protect wheel from operating by unauthorised person. But of course, as this will prevent motor from turning on, it's also a safety feature for shipping in case power button will be pressed accidentally and turn EUC on. KS wheels doesn't have true "transportation mode" (don't turn motor on, don't make any noises and turn off after short period of inactivity).