KS16X Roll.nz Bodyguard - First Look

Marty Backe

Received my red 16x cover today, very well built but the kevlar pockets aren't going to work, the left side stays put okay (and that's being generous) but the right pocket pops right out with only the velcro to hold it together below the pedal, I've fiddled with it for half hour and can't get it to stay put, I received the email from rollnz concerning this issue and they're working on a solution, my recommendation is to wait til they get it sorted to keep from having to have yours repaired or modified to work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Received my red 16x cover today, very well built but the kevlar pockets aren't going to work, the left side stays put okay (and that's being generous) but the right pocket pops right out with only the velcro to hold it together below the pedal, I've fiddled with it for half hour and can't get it to stay put, I received the email from rollnz concerning this issue and they're working on a solution, my recommendation is to wait til they get it sorted to keep from having to have yours repaired or modified to work

Agreed. @The Fat Unicyclist told me that all new orders will have the fix. Unfortunately the fix for the handful that bought the first batch will involve a lot of sewing. Either you or someone you know has to be capable of sewing (check mark for me) or you'll have to go to a tailor. I suspect tailors are easier to come by in New Zealand than they are in the states, so it's not a free fix. Unfortunately because of the nature of this product, any fixes will require sewing.

I will say that I saw one first hand with the fix incorporated from the Roll.nz and it works perfectly. So don't buy one unless you have confirmation that it does not have the Kevlar pocket.

Edited by Marty Backe

I'm also waiting for the fix because mine comes off all the time, i never really noticed it until a few days in and I've ripped the pocket trying to pull it tight so it would stay on ,. The pocket seems too small now i just Leave it resting under the pedal because I'm sick of trying to keep it in place ,i like the bodyguard but the bottom pocket is a bit useless to keep in place especially now I've ripped it at one side trying to pull it tight☹️

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, stephen said:

I'm also waiting for the fix because mine comes off all the time, i never really noticed it until a few days in and I've ripped the pocket trying to pull it tight so it would stay on ,. The pocket seems too small now i just Leave it resting under the pedal because I'm sick of trying to keep it in place ,i let the bodyguard but the bottom pocket is a bit useless to keep in place especially now I've ripped it at one side trying to pull it tight☹️

Agreed. It would seem Roll.nz did no field testing on that part of their design. But the final design works just as you would hope it would. Hopefully your girlfriend sews :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Agreed. It would seem Roll.nz did no field testing on that part of their design. But the final design works just as you would hope it would. Hopefully your girlfriend sews :D

I am pretty sure they tested it.

But as many other things one thing is to use it and know what to do and not to do. A totally other matter is when product hits customers that will use product regardless, and not knowing the development cycle experience. 

My KS18L bodyguard has (synthetic) leather, I guess using the Kevlar fabric was in effort to make it stronger and less time/wear sensitive. :efef2e0fff:

As for sewing with @stephen I think he will find it is not an easy materiel to control/sew/man handel at all. :popcorn:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stephen said:

I think she's sewn a button on before 😁 i think I'll tackle the 3ml neoprene myself ,,,i think I'll try a cross stitch followed by an edge stitch, if it's torn to much i may have to do a ladder stitch😂😂😂😂

LOL.  Maybe we can send all ours to you for the retrofit :lol:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I am pretty sure they tested it.

But as many other things one thing is to use it and know what to do and not to do. A totally other matter is when product hits customers that will use product regardless, and not knowing the development cycle experience. 

My KS18L bodyguard has (synthetic) leather, I guess using the Kevlar fabric was in effort to make it stronger and less time/wear sensitive. :efef2e0fff:

As for sewing with @stephen I think he will find it is not an easy materiel to control/sew/man handel at all. :popcorn:

I really don't think they did, because it comes off by just riding down the street. It's not like it only comes off if you're driving up mountains or crossing rivers :lol:

I'm guessing that they took one of their brand new KS16X's and very carefully used it to design the bodyguard and then put the KS16X back in the box so it could be sold. They didn't want to ride the 16X because then it couldn't be sold as a new wheel. Perfectly understandable from a small business perspective. I'm sure they learned the lesson that all designs need to be field tested before being sold to the public.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

FYI. Here is my permanent fix.

I attached a could of pieces of Velcro to the bottom of the shell, on the inside (facing the motor - you can't see the Velcro when looking at the wheel). Then my wife sewed some Velcro onto the Kevlar.

Now the Kevlar pocket doesn't move and the bodyguard stays nice and tight.

I don't plan on installing the "fix" provided by Roll.nz because I think the Kevlar will last a lot longer.

Thanks for this I'll do the fix, hopefully it will last 👍👍

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 7:54 AM, stephen said:

I think she's sewn a button on before 😁 i think I'll tackle the 3ml neoprene myself ,,,i think I'll try a cross stitch followed by an edge stitch, if it's torn to much i may have to do a ladder stitch😂😂😂😂

Why don't you buy your girlfriend a sewing machine for Christmas? :confused1:

... then wait a couple of weeks before telling her you just ripped your cover and ask her if she can fix it for you. :thumbup: :wub:

It'll come in handy for next time... :smartass:

Edited by Nic
  • Like 2

We are about to directly update everyone effected... Our solutions are being worked through and should be shipping later this week.

@stephen - if your Bodyguard has sustained damage due to this fault, please PM or email me with details and photos and we will see what additional rectification is required.

Edited by The Fat Unicyclist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We are about to directly update everyone effected... Our solutions are being worked through and should be shipping later this week.

@stephen - if your Bodyguard has sustained damage due to this fault, please PM or email me with details and photos and we will see what additional rectification is required.

I'll take some pics with it on and off and email them👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my "fix-it kit"  from roll.nz today.  The kit comes with 2 options.  One is Velcro stickies that you attach to the inside of the Kevlar pocket and to the inside of the 16x.  In addition, there is an optional "hook" that you can sew into the Kevlar pocket to make it even more secure.  The 2nd option is 2 new pockets made out of a different material that is definitely a lot more grabbie.  This option would require you to unsew the original Kevlar pieces and replace it with these new ones.

In my particular case, I opted to use the Velcro pieces.  However, I sewed the Velcro pieces that were stuck to the Kevlar pocket.  After affixing them and letting the adhesive set for 15 mins, I went ahead and sewed them in to make it even more secure.  The instructions are very detailed on where to place the Velcro pieces in the pocket, as well as the 16x.

I went for a quick spin and the pocket is now firmly attached.  I've pulled on it to try and force it to slide off, but it stays firmly in place.  In addition, I can go back to using my EUC Army stand.  Previously, the stand width being so precise, anytime I placed the 16x on the stand, it would pull the pocket up and off the bottom of the 16x.  I even tried putting washers on the stand to widen it, but it would still catch the bodyguard.  Now, even with the stand back to normal, the velcro holds the pockets firmly in place.  I can place the 16x on the stand and not think about the pocket coming off.

Super happy on how  it turned out.  As Marty mentioned before, I think the Kevlar is tougher and will hold up longer, which is why I chose to leave it on.  In addition, it's a lot easier for me to sew on some Velcro strips, versus removing the old pocket to sew up the new one.  With the Velcro fix, the pockets are now firmly attached and I don't have to worry about them popping off, even when I use my stand now.  At some point, I may looking at adding the hooks, but the velcro works great for me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EvoKnvl said:

Just received my "fix-it kit"  from roll.nz today.  The kit comes with 2 options.  One is Velcro stickies that you attach to the inside of the Kevlar pocket and to the inside of the 16x.  In addition, there is an optional "hook" that you can sew into the Kevlar pocket to make it even more secure.  The 2nd option is 2 new pockets made out of a different material that is definitely a lot more grabbie.  This option would require you to unsew the original Kevlar pieces and replace it with these new ones.

In my particular case, I opted to use the Velcro pieces.  However, I sewed the Velcro pieces that were stuck to the Kevlar pocket.  After affixing them and letting the adhesive set for 15 mins, I went ahead and sewed them in to make it even more secure.  The instructions are very detailed on where to place the Velcro pieces in the pocket, as well as the 16x.

I went for a quick spin and the pocket is now firmly attached.  I've pulled on it to try and force it to slide off, but it stays firmly in place.  In addition, I can go back to using my EUC Army stand.  Previously, the stand width being so precise, anytime I placed the 16x on the stand, it would pull the pocket up and off the bottom of the 16x.  I even tried putting washers on the stand to widen it, but it would still catch the bodyguard.  Now, even with the stand back to normal, the velcro holds the pockets firmly in place.  I can place the 16x on the stand and not think about the pocket coming off.

Super happy on how  it turned out.  As Marty mentioned before, I think the Kevlar is tougher and will hold up longer, which is why I chose to leave it on.  In addition, it's a lot easier for me to sew on some Velcro strips, versus removing the old pocket to sew up the new one.  With the Velcro fix, the pockets are now firmly attached and I don't have to worry about them popping off, even when I use my stand now.  At some point, I may looking at adding the hooks, but the velcro works great for me.

My intention is to sew the Velcro onto the Kevlar, eventually. But happily, the adhesive is still holding fine for me :thumbup:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

My intention is to sew the Velcro onto the Kevlar, eventually. But happily, the adhesive is still holding fine for me :thumbup:

Yah, I'm glad I did just for the extra peace of mind.  Took about an hr to do all 4 pieces.  Have some cleaner on hand because the needle picks up the adhesive making it harder to push the needle through after awhile. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 4:50 PM, EvoKnvl said:

Yah, I'm glad I did just for the extra peace of mind.  Took about an hr to do all 4 pieces.  Have some cleaner on hand because the needle picks up the adhesive making it harder to push the needle through after awhile. 

After cleaning the needle try spraying some silicone on it. At work we sew through self adhesive velcro and the needles get gummed up all of the time. The silicone helps.

• Like 3

I received my kit yesterday and plan on doing the velcro install today, the only thing that I'm a little uncertain of after watching the video is the placement of the velcro on the inside of the wheel, I haven't stuck my fingers in there yet but my concern is getting them at the proper width, the height seems straight forward but the width seems a little concerning, hopefully my concerns are squashed once I get my hands on it.

• Like 1