How long can you hold your breath? (Wim Hof -JRE-712

Viktiga

Dear EUC'ers. I have been a long time listener of The Joe Rogan Podcast and last week he had this guy showing a technique that helped him hold his breath for 7 minutes under the ice in Finland. He also claims that this technique heals his body and so on. Wether you believe this or not is not the question. I tried this technique and was amazed over that I could hold my breath for 1:45 minutes on my first try. On the second try I was over 2 minutes.( Almost that I doubt myself, maybe im cheating without knowing it?) So my question is: Have you tried it? How long can you hold your breath? Is there any difference?

• 1 month later...

You should be very careful when using this technique for diving, because you might loose conscious before the breathing urge kicks in, in which case you will drown when under water. The problem here is that lack of oxygen does not produce any urge to breath or even any malaise, but will kill you.

The last time I checked Wim is wrong about "oxygenizing" the body.^1 The oxygen level of blood from the lungs of a healthy person is 100% and cannot be increased by breathing. Also, oxygen is mostly stored in the blood (red blood cells are specifically designed for that purpose). The reason why the technique works is that, as he also mentions, the CO2 concentration goes down. CO2 is which leads to the breathing urge, hence it takes longer until this urge kicks in again.  

^1 If he would be right we would expect many athletes to use this technique in competitions in order to give their oxygen balance a head start.

On 2015-12-28 at 10:40 AM, Niko said:

^1 If he would be right we would expect many athletes to use this technique in competitions in order to give their oxygen balance a head start.

He is actually working with athletes but that doesn't prove anything if you're sceptical. 

I have no idea if this method is dangerous but it seems to work for him and others. I am not smart enough to comment about the actual process but I urge you to listen to the whole podcast if you haven't.

And lastly I am not responsible for any deaths if you decide to try this under water.?

Like Bill Hick's joke about a guy jumping out of a window on acid : If he wanted to learn how to fly, why didn't he start from the ground? 

13 hours ago, Viktiga said:

He is actually working with athletes but that doesn't prove anything if you're sceptical. 

I have no idea if this method is dangerous but it seems to work for him and others. I am not smart enough to comment about the actual process but I urge you to listen to the whole podcast if you haven't.

For what reason?

Archived