Tesla owners, squeezing in a 21700 battery pack, possible?

13 hours ago, Nomis said:

With my 5a fast charger I got from wheel riders store it seemed to balance charge for a couple of hours (this was after the light on the charger itself turned green) until a steady non-declining watt consumption of about 4 watts. Then I plugged in the standard charger and noticed that it consumed 10 watts of power declining down to 2 watts within an hour or so.

Is this an indication that my fast charger doesn't balance as much/all the way and that my stock charger does?

Not really...

No two chargers will be trimmed to the exact same voltage, so if you saturate your pack using one charger, then immediately change to another charger that has a 0.05V higher output, you'll observe a different current. No cause for concern.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just posted this on a different thread but thought it might be more in-line with the content of this thread...

I ordered a Tesla V2 1480Wh almost exactly a month ago from the Wheel Riders Store and just got a message from them this morning that it has finally shipped. However, they have confirmed that this is a new update and uses the LG M50T battery which is now 1500Wh instead of 1480. They included these photos:

H60f523b5963c4ec38bb5c5a43c99a96cc.png

Hce9e2cc935c94ff096494a19067d4bebH.png

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with these batteries compared to the ones that were shipped with the 1480Wh version. I'm new to EUCs and am looking forward to receiving it but just want to make sure it will be ok with a 5.0A "fast" charger and that these are reliable batteries. Am I correct in assuming that there are likely two, 20S2P packs in this wheel? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, Mantraguy said:

I just posted this on a different thread but thought it might be more in-line with the content of this thread...

I ordered a Tesla V2 1480Wh almost exactly a month ago from the Wheel Riders Store and just got a message from them this morning that it has finally shipped. However, they have confirmed that this is a new update and uses the LG M50T battery which is now 1500Wh instead of 1480. They included these photos:

H60f523b5963c4ec38bb5c5a43c99a96cc.png

Hce9e2cc935c94ff096494a19067d4bebH.png

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with these batteries compared to the ones that were shipped with the 1480Wh version. I'm new to EUCs and am looking forward to receiving it but just want to make sure it will be ok with a 5.0A "fast" charger and that these are reliable batteries. Am I correct in assuming that there are likely two, 20S2P packs in this wheel? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

Good for you. Now I'm getting worried once again about my "tesla" cells. But they have behaved flawless after 500 km of use with 5A of charging and topping up with the stock charger regularly to hopefully keep it balanced.

The M50T cells can safely be charged at 3.4A so in the 20s4p config (yes 20s2p * 2) it can handle 13.6A, thus 5A is not a problem (and the bottleneck is actually the charge port and maybe the BMS to charge at higher than 5A)

1 hour ago, LaserEdge said:

My only concern with the LG M50T 21700 batteries is battery sag. The discharge rating on them is 7.3A. Substantially lower than 10A. It might translate to increased chance for cutoffs.

True, but any way you look at it, its less sag compared to the original 1080wh packs

• Like 2

For my weight, I find that if am running less than 800A theoretical aggegate discharge capacity I have stability or performance issue.  I convert all my unicycles to 20A batteries (MCM5, V8) at the cost of loss of Whr and range for stabiltiy and having lots of breaking power.

7.3A is not an issue as long as you have 120 or more cells in the pack.