Jump to content
alcatraz

Tesla owners, squeezing in a 21700 battery pack, possible?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, newbie101 said:

We will find out once Marty get his Tesla V2 1480wh, I am sure he will have a full video review .

I'm not sure I'm going to tear down my Tesla, but the general consensus is that if you're going to ride in the rain, put some tape (I'd use low-residue duct tape by 3M) over the trolley handle and the power button panel. Then it should be great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 2:38 PM, newbie101 said:

Marty's detailed review would be great. Looking forward to that!  I am still on the fence about this.  Going back and forth about purchasing....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to over react yet I just viewed this video on a wheel going up in flames.  I believe it had modded batteries....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2020 at 6:45 AM, RyanEUC said:

I have received my new gotway tesla v2 1480wh! Bare with me as I am a newbie and had to learn how to ride it first before i can do some proper testing! Day 5 and I am feeling pretty comfortable on it. I got it with 90% battery and i have done a total of 90 Km on it and the battery is now on 32%. Of Course bare in mind I haven't been pushing the wheel hard as i am still taking it easy so the range will be further than normal. I can now ride it comfortably at 25-30kph, so my next charge and range test should be a little more accurate as to its real range. Will keep you updated as to my progress.

Hi RyanEUC, can you update us on your new Tesla V2? did you get a quick charger? how is the ride? Thanks.

Edited by newbie101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Guys just a quick update. I am absolutely loving the Tesla, I am almost at 300km of riding. Its super nimble for the streets and it has more than enough speed for me and the area I live in. I can easily get about 90km per charge and thats with 30% battery charge left. The Tesla seems stable at 35kph with the heavier batteries but i have still to push it to 40kph and above to get any wobbles out of it. Keep in mind this is my first wheel so I don't have anything to compare it to but I have no regrets buying this wheel and I am super happy with the performance and distance i get out of it. Its the perfect city commuter for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RyanEUC said:

Hey Guys just a quick update. I am absolutely loving the Tesla, I am almost at 300km of riding. Its super nimble for the streets and it has more than enough speed for me and the area I live in. I can easily get about 90km per charge and thats with 30% battery charge left. The Tesla seems stable at 35kph with the heavier batteries but i have still to push it to 40kph and above to get any wobbles out of it. Keep in mind this is my first wheel so I don't have anything to compare it to but I have no regrets buying this wheel and I am super happy with the performance and distance i get out of it. Its the perfect city commuter for me. 

Thanks for your update. That's great that your loving it and enjoying the ride.  90km range is really impressive with 30% left.  Wondering , are  you just  charging it with the oem charger? how long does it take to fully charge? have you tried a quick charger, if so which one do you have?

Edited by newbie101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RyanEUC said:

Hey Guys just a quick update. I am absolutely loving the Tesla, I am almost at 300km of riding. Its super nimble for the streets and it has more than enough speed for me and the area I live in. I can easily get about 90km per charge and thats with 30% battery charge left. The Tesla seems stable at 35kph with the heavier batteries but i have still to push it to 40kph and above to get any wobbles out of it. Keep in mind this is my first wheel so I don't have anything to compare it to but I have no regrets buying this wheel and I am super happy with the performance and distance i get out of it. Its the perfect city commuter for me. 

That's great. 

I'm about 3 weeks away from receiving my Tesla V2 1480wh from wheel riders store.

It's my first wheel and will be my first ever ride so it's gonna be interesting. I am planning to seal the shell with a fair amount of silicone gasket and also to take a look on the internals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That range is going to drop significantly with more speed. But it's quite impressive if you're doing 35km/h.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Facebook someone reported that this build only have one BMS. And all 21 wires go from one side to another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 2:13 PM, Simon Møller Kristensen said:

That's great. 

I'm about 3 weeks away from receiving my Tesla V2 1480wh from wheel riders store.

It's my first wheel and will be my first ever ride so it's gonna be interesting. I am planning to seal the shell with a fair amount of silicone gasket and also to take a look on the internals

Please post some pictures and video of the internals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NMorgado said:

On Facebook someone reported that this build only have one BMS. And all 21 wires go from one side to another

:blink1: are you sure about that? each pack should have its own BMS, no exceptions.... im not sure what youre saying by all 21 wires go from one side to another... that doesnt mean anything, all packs on any euc are connected in parallel with the cells inside the packs being connected in series, so naturally yes the wires would all be on one side because all batteries would be connected to a common wire that would then connect to the board

Edited by Rywokast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

:blink1: are you sure about that? each pack should have its own BMS, no exceptions.... im not sure what youre saying by all 21 wires go from one side to another... that doesnt mean anything, all packs on any euc are connected in parallel with the cells inside the packs being connected in series, so naturally yes the wires would all be on one side because all batteries would be connected to a common wire that would then connect to the board

Newbie101 is right. One BMS for two packs with balance wires going from the pack with the BMS to the other side of the shell with no BMS. Check out pictures of the internals on page 3 in this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Simon Møller Kristensen said:

Newbie101 is right. One BMS for two packs with balance wires going from the pack with the BMS to the other side of the shell with no BMS. Check out pictures of the internals on page 3 in this thread

Actually, I do not know anything about this Tesla V2, except for ordering one, which I haven't received yet..I remember it was Smart Wheels Europe that posted on facebook about the Tesla V2 with 21700 cells to have only one bms. I am just copying and pasting what he posted below from facebook.

When somebody asks again whether the alixpress wheels are any good... Remember this post........ And the firework videos posted down below...

1. Holders of original battery are CUT, so the shell is weaker...

2. Not enough volume and air flow for cooling the motherboard, so if its tested in @Marty Backe style it would be burned...

3. Obviously using ONE BMS pcb board... Also not confirmed if its original... Which makes additional 21 wires outside both sides of the wheel!!! Now imagine how much is multiplied the chance of short circuit!!!

4. Used nickel-plated steel which is innaceptable

5. Tesla inc. factory doesn't sell new batteries, so the so called 1480wh (21700 tesla battery version) is either with original tesla battery from car modules (which aren't NEW) OR its china rewrapped battery...

6. The wheel started making noises even from one small fall

7. Gotway isn't responsible for all these problems so alixpress won't refund you and the seller won't take care of the wheel.

8. You are fucked and start asking questions here and searching for local dealers as you should have done in first place.

Edited by newbie101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 11:12 PM, Rywokast said:

:blink1: are you sure about that? each pack should have its own BMS, no exceptions.... im not sure what youre saying by all 21 wires go from one side to another... that doesnt mean anything, all packs on any euc are connected in parallel with the cells inside the packs being connected in series, so naturally yes the wires would all be on one side because all batteries would be connected to a common wire that would then connect to the board

What i mean from 21 wires going from one side to another is that the balance wires are going from one side to the other. So, physically it is 2 packs but they are not independent. You can't just remove one of the packs on this build. I was expecting to see 2 battery packs with 2 BMS and only 2 wires going out from each battery pack. That's not the case. More wires = More chance of a problem. And i'm not saying that its dangerous or that you shouldn't buy it. just making it clear and correcting some information given on this topic saying that there was 2 BMS's on this build ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NMorgado said:

What i mean from 21 wires going from one side to another is that the balance wires are going from one side to the other. So, physically it is 2 packs but they are not independent. You can't just remove one of the packs on this build. I was expecting to see 2 battery packs with 2 BMS and only 2 wires going out from each battery pack. That's not the case. More wires = More chance of a problem. And i'm not saying that its dangerous or that you shouldn't buy it. just making it clear and correcting some information given on this topic saying that there was 2 BMS's on this build ;) 

ahh okay... hmm sketchy lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, NMorgado said:

So, physically it is 2 packs but they are not independent. You can't just remove one of the packs on this build.

You can remove one without bms and run other one with bms or leave that without bms and ride without bms.

So it is possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rafal said:

You can remove one without bms and run other one with bms or leave that without bms and ride without bms.

So it is possible. 

Of course, you can do whatever you want. But in this case you will have to cut 21 wires ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great if Gotway did an official version with 1480Wh battery and a 2.5" tire.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

It would be great if Gotway did an official version with 1480Wh battery and a 2.5" tire.  

it would be.. no one's been paying any attention to smaller wheels lately even though they're the most common.. not everyone is going on 60 km trips all the time and some of us actually use these to commute in the city.. I'm not putting a Sherman under my desk lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 6:09 AM, NMorgado said:

Of course, you can do whatever you want. But in this case you will have to cut 21 wires ;)

 

How did they put the wheel together with both battery packs connected like that then? Surely there's just an extra connector and the packs aren't permanently wired together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 10:43 PM, GameKing said:

How did they put the wheel together with both battery packs connected like that then? Surely there's just an extra connector and the packs aren't permanently wired together. 

You are right. They added a plug for the wires, it was not clear from the other photos online.

aa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello, for those wondering about the BMS inside the 1480Wh, here is a pic of it. I am trying to figure out if it does balance cells or not, do you guys have an idea ?
It is fitted inside the battery pack on the right side of the Tesla (looking from behind), where the motherboard is.
@Marty Backe
m0Re1Uo.jpg

Edited by Pingouin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am new to EUCs. Based on my research the GotWay Tesla V2 is an excellent choice for someone new to EUCs. I came across this thread while learning about the Tesla V2. Being both and electrical and computer engineer I can tell you from the photos those cells are not being load balanced properly. The balance wires from each cell pack should go to its own BMS. Each cell needs to be isolated for proper load balancing. The mod that they have done will definitely shorten the life span of the cells. Over time the cells will become increasingly unbalanced with this mod. As they become more unbalanced they will heat up even more during charging and discharging. Would it start a fire? Possibly if there is enough unbalance and the cells are driven hard enough. If the battery packs are getting really hot during peak charging and discharging it is a sign there is a risk of fire. It only takes one extremely weak cell to cause a major unbalanced situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LaserEdge said:

I am new to EUCs. Based on my research the GotWay Tesla V2 is an excellent choice for someone new to EUCs. I came across this thread while learning about the Tesla V2. Being both and electrical and computer engineer I can tell you from the photos those cells are not being load balanced properly. The balance wires from each cell pack should go to its own BMS. Each cell needs to be isolated for proper load balancing. The mod that they have done will definitely shorten the life span of the cells. Over time the cells will become increasingly unbalanced with this mod. As they become more unbalanced they will heat up even more during charging and discharging. Would it start a fire? Possibly if there is enough unbalance and the cells are driven hard enough. If the battery packs are getting really hot during peak charging and discharging it is a sign there is a risk of fire. It only takes one extremely weak cell to cause a major unbalanced situation.

What do you mean by "load balancing"?

I suspect the board pictured isn't the whole bms. There doesn't seem to be enough space for the balancing circuits. Maybe this board acts as a junction and connects the two packs together as one pack, but that there is another board internal somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LaserEdge said:

I am new to EUCs. Based on my research the GotWay Tesla V2 is an excellent choice for someone new to EUCs. I came across this thread while learning about the Tesla V2. Being both and electrical and computer engineer I can tell you from the photos those cells are not being load balanced properly. The balance wires from each cell pack should go to its own BMS. Each cell needs to be isolated for proper load balancing. The mod that they have done will definitely shorten the life span of the cells. Over time the cells will become increasingly unbalanced with this mod. As they become more unbalanced they will heat up even more during charging and discharging. Would it start a fire? Possibly if there is enough unbalance and the cells are driven hard enough. If the battery packs are getting really hot during peak charging and discharging it is a sign there is a risk of fire. It only takes one extremely weak cell to cause a major unbalanced situation.

You can tell all that from a couple of pictures :confused1: Impressive

Ask me in a few years how my Tesla V2 is doing and if it burned up in a fire :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...