Tesla owners, squeezing in a 21700 battery pack, possible?

3 hours ago, Pingouin said:

Hello, here is how the batteries are inside the TS2 1480Wh :

Avzz0zW.jpg

nQUhWWJ.jpg

Are those actually Tesla batteries or just chinese made batteries? Thanks for sharing the photo.

Those are custom batteries. This is not an official Gotway wheel or mod. The Tesla comes with 18650 type cells, this one is made of 21700 cells. I believe they are good, quality 21700 cells so nothing to worry about. This is literally a replacement where each of the 80 18650 cells has been replaced by a 21700 cell.

You can see the plastic lip on the right of the battery pack in the first picture. They removed one on the left so this bigger pack would fit. Same for the trolley handle side.

Mind-blowing that Gotway did not something like this officially. Such a great option - small wheel with big capacity!

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Those are custom batteries. This is not an official Gotway wheel or mod. The Tesla comes with 18650 type cells, this one is made of 21700 cells. I believe they are good, quality 21700 cells so nothing to worry about. This is literally a replacement where each of the 80 18650 cells has been replaced by a 21700 cell.

You can see the plastic lip on the right of the battery pack in the first picture. They removed one on the left so this bigger pack would fit. Same for the trolley handle side.

Mind-blowing that Gotway did not something like this officially.

Thanks for the info.

9 hours ago, newbie101 said:

Thanks Marty, I did not know that, But I mentioned that you got it for The price you mentioned that’s when they offered me not to go through Aliexpress  to get that price. 
Thanks to you I just ordered my very first EUC. A total newbie here. Hopefully, if I can learn to ride it, maybe I can  join one of your trail ride in LA in the future.

Fantastic :cheers:

Be sure to join my Telegram group (see link in my Signature) so you can connect with me down the road for some Los Angeles riding

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Fantastic :cheers:

Be sure to join my Telegram group (see link in my Signature) so you can connect with me down the road for some Los Angeles riding

Already did...but I am more on just reading what's going on..since I do not own or know how to ride one yet.

• Like 1

I've just ordered the 1480Wh version of the Tesla V2. Can't wait to get it and hopefully some of you guys that have recieved it or about to will post more in this thread 

• Like 1

Also thinking about ordering one. Are you guys ordering from "Wheel Riders Store"?

If there is 2 bms does it mean that if for some reason one battery fails the other still makes the wheel run?

Also curious about battery quality

19 minutes ago, NMorgado said:

Also thinking about ordering one. Are you guys ordering from "Wheel Riders Store"?

If there is 2 bms does it mean that if for some reason one battery fails the other still makes the wheel run?

Also curious about battery quality

thats the only place that makes them... every euc should have one bms per pack, its necessary so they stay in balance with one another and themselves... any euc can run with only one battery, thats not their purpose at all, you can unplug one of the packs from any euc and it will run perfectly fine, but you will have half the number of cells and the euc will be clueless about this so it will not limit your acceleration and speed in any way, the voltage sag will be much more significant and you are at great risk of a cutout from this. the batteries are new LG 21700 cells from gotway official but i believe greenfashion for example has repurposed tesla 21700 cells that as far as ive heard are new but didnt make the cut.... this doesnt mean they are bad or unsafe it just means they werent up to the required spec for that application, this is just what ive seen im not sure about various wheels/sellers if they are doing the same thing afaik no one has cut open one of these packs to see,, at least no regular customer

Akkumulyator-Nikola-21700cell-3.jpg

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks is for all the great input from everyone on this thread!

I am also on the verge of ordering a 1480wh Tesla V2 from Loomo store on aliexpress.  Seems like a great deal - just concerned about the quality of the batteries and build.

This looks like a reasonable upgrade from the V8 I purchased and learned on last month. The only other options I see are wheels that are $1000 more like the Nikola or MSX or 16x. 

Desisions...

1 minute ago, Sentient said:

Thanks is for all the great input from everyone on this thread!

I am also on the verge of ordering a 1480wh Tesla V2 from Loomo store on aliexpress.  Seems like a great deal - just concerned about the quality of the batteries and build.

This looks like a reasonable upgrade from the V8 I purchased and learned on last month. The only other options I see are wheels that are $1000 more like the Nikola or MSX or 16x. 

Desisions...

for a second there i thought you said the only other wheels for around 1000... i was gonna say let us in on the secret lmao... but yes.. for those not wishing to blow a huge amount on a wheel if youre not hardcore obsessed like some of us, the tesla is a very smart well rounded option... i would say the same as when it came out, that it is the best wheel for the money.. it is far from the best in any category, but it is very well rounded and dollar for dollar, the best option.. if you just learned a month ago, you may not be sure yet how useful eucs will be for you, is it merely a casually fun toy on the weekends, or are you going to seriously use it all the time for long rides, errands/commutes, off roading and trail riding, all weather riding blah blah blah... if you are certain that eucs are for you and you think they are something that you will use all the time for any of the above, it might actually be wiser to get one of those more expensive wheels because as i said dollar for dollar the tesla is the best, yes.. but irregardless of that it still is not "cheap" so if you in any way think you might get that and then a little ways down the road want a long range wheel, want an all terrain wheel, want a comfortable long distance cruising wheel, want a wheel you can sit on, want a wheel you can safely go much faster on etc it would be wiser to avoid the tesla and go for one of the more expensive wheels now while using your V8 for errands and short trips/fun around your house.. it will save you money in the long run.. just my two cents, of course you could also go off the deep end like a lot of us do and have many wheels, each that specialize in one area :P its extremely addicting

In the past 3 years I have been through 2 electric skateboards- 1 street and 1 off road, a Onewheel plus XR which was an amazing adventure and now the inmotion V8 which is dominating all my free time. I am learning to ride backwards now and really enjoy longer rides. This is where the large battery capacity comes into play. 

I will likely sell the electric skateboards since they get no attention now.  Riding the Onewheel has not been the same experience since I took the challenge of learning how to ride the EUC. I am consistently choosing to go w the V8 over any other PEV.

I bought the Onewheel from a distributor in Calgary and had it shipped here to Toronto and the Onewheel warranty has been amazing- along w their customer service.

I put over 3000km on the Onewheel in the past 18 months. There was an issue w the battery earlier this year and Onewheel had me send the board to California under warranty. The battery was replaced and the board was sent back to me- 3 weeks total. This level of customer service represents alot of value to me and is not expected when purchasing from aliexpress. 

The deal hunter in me is looking for the lowest price w the biggest return yet that comes w a cost. Not getting exactly what I want- low to no warranty and/or support if the wheel needs work done.

The more I reflect on the next purchase- the more I realize spending more money now for a quality wheel with the battery capacity I want from a local distributor is likely the most economical and trouble free way to go. 

Till then- I get to practice:)

15 minutes ago, Sentient said:

In the past 3 years I have been through 2 electric skateboards- 1 street and 1 off road, a Onewheel plus XR which was an amazing adventure and now the inmotion V8 which is dominating all my free time. I am learning to ride backwards now and really enjoy longer rides. This is where the large battery capacity comes into play. 

I will likely sell the electric skateboards since they get no attention now.  Riding the Onewheel has not been the same experience since I took the challenge of learning how to ride the EUC. I am consistently choosing to go w the V8 over any other PEV.

I bought the Onewheel from a distributor in Calgary and had it shipped here to Toronto and the Onewheel warranty has been amazing- along w their customer service.

I put over 3000km on the Onewheel in the past 18 months. There was an issue w the battery earlier this year and Onewheel had me send the board to California under warranty. The battery was replaced and the board was sent back to me- 3 weeks total. This level of customer service represents alot of value to me and is not expected when purchasing from aliexpress. 

The deal hunter in me is looking for the lowest price w the biggest return yet that comes w a cost. Not getting exactly what I want- low to no warranty and/or support if the wheel needs work done.

The more I reflect on the next purchase- the more I realize spending more money now for a quality wheel with the battery capacity I want from a local distributor is likely the most economical and trouble free way to go. 

Till then- I get to practice:)

well that's pretty sweet, good to hear you have had such a good experience with them.. yes for most people who use eucs there is some learning and tinkering needed, which is all part of the experience if you ask me.. nobody but me touches my wheels :p I have learned a ton along the way.. yes it certainly sounds like youre starting to get the euc bug haha it's natural for most you want to hunt for deals but logical to go against that instinct when dealing with a very niche and relatively new thing like electric unicycles.. from the sounds of it I think you should keep up with the practice and keep pushing yourself while you research your next real wheel lol.. I have no idea of your financials or other factors obviously but especially if you are for now only looking for one wheel, you should skip the tesla.. it is better in every regard to your V8 no doubt and a great wheel, but from what I've read not great enough to not leave you wanting more in the very near future

Edited by Rywokast

@RyanEUC You should always charge the wheel, at least to 90% or something, and nothing wrong with charging to full if you use it soon after. Higher battery % = more reserves = safer. A wheel's reserves go down with the battery charge state. 30% is essentially empty (with voltage drop under stress, that easily goes down to 15% where the low battery beeps start). Do not wait until it is "empty" to recharge again, you gain nothing from that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RyanEUC said:

I have received my new gotway tesla v2 1480wh! Bare with me as I am a newbie and had to learn how to ride it first before i can do some proper testing! Day 5 and I am feeling pretty comfortable on it. I got it with 90% battery and i have done a total of 90 Km on it and the battery is now on 32%. Of Course bare in mind I haven't been pushing the wheel hard as i am still taking it easy so the range will be further than normal. I can now ride it comfortably at 25-30kph, so my next charge and range test should be a little more accurate as to its real range. Will keep you updated as to my progress.

Nice, keep us updated, maybe if you can include some pictures or video of the inside. thanks.

On 3/11/2020 at 2:29 AM, xorbe said:

Holy sh*t the raw cells are hooked up into one massive parallel 3.7V cell?!

No; those connections are split into many parallel groups. And as you can see, Tesla Motors uses per-cell fuse links, super slick. https://youtu.be/NpSrHZnCi-A?t=339

We could go even further with the design optimization...
file.php?id=242017&sid=77ae67e3a26f3a38c

On 5/17/2020 at 7:24 PM, NMorgado said:

Yes. As @Rywokast said:

On 5/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Rywokast said:

you can unplug one of the packs from any euc and it will run perfectly fine, but you will have half the number of cells

Edited by RagingGrandpa

6 hours ago, RyanEUC said:

I have received my new gotway tesla v2 1480wh! Bare with me as I am a newbie and had to learn how to ride it first before i can do some proper testing! Day 5 and I am feeling pretty comfortable on it. I got it with 90% battery and i have done a total of 90 Km on it and the battery is now on 32%. Of Course bare in mind I haven't been pushing the wheel hard as i am still taking it easy so the range will be further than normal. I can now ride it comfortably at 25-30kph, so my next charge and range test should be a little more accurate as to its real range. Will keep you updated as to my progress.

Be sure to check the tire pressure. I know a lot of new people to the sport think that the wheels come from the factory with good tire pressure. Sometimes they do, but often they don't.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 2:34 AM, newbie101 said:

Are those actually Tesla batteries or just chinese made batteries? Thanks for sharing the photo.

I wonder how the cells are oriented in the left pack. Does anyone know? I might try to duplicate it.

nQUhWWJ.jpg

Edited by alcatraz

Does anyone knows how can this big battery affect the waterproof of the wheel? I mean, they cutted the plastic to hold the battery, does the water flow from the handle like the msx? I really would like to have some feedback from someone that tried both versions 1020 and 1480. Waiting for this feedback to know if i buy one or not :(

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I wonder how the cells are oriented in the left pack. Does anyone know? I might try to duplicate it.

nQUhWWJ.jpg

We will find out once Marty get his Tesla V2 1480wh, I am sure he will have a full video review .

• Like 1