Tesla owners, squeezing in a 21700 battery pack, possible?

On 2/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, alcatraz said:

About the 21700 pack in a tesla the interesting side to see is the right side with the trolley handle. The pictures are always of this left side. 

On the right side the pack sits wedged right between the trolley rails. If 21700 cells are 5mm taller than 18650 it means 10mm less clearance (2 stacked cells) where there's already almost no room.

A source said that they may had to sacrifice the trolley to pack in the 1480Wh, there's just not enough physical space on the right side to slot another of the 740Wh packs in there.  Does anyone own one of these modified Teslas to validate?  

• Like 1

I bet you could keep the trolley handle if you split the right side pack into two (or more blocks).

At least we know there is more than one design of this 1480Wh tesla (indicated by different bms location) so maybe one keeps the trolley handle.

I've been looking at the kingsong ks16x 1554wh and the gotway msuper x 84v 1600wh and I recently found the 1480wh tesla on aliexpress and it looks really tempting at the price of $1700 CAD free shipping with a 5A fast charger!! That's $1000 cheaper than both msx and ks16x with NEARLY the same range and speeds! Probably the best deal going for a long range wheel..

Edited by 905brett
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, zoomr said:

@Terzo@alcatraz any indication about the condition/make and model of these 21700 batteries? 

This is what the tesla motor batteries look like when the chinese receive them. At the bottom right is what they look like after processing.

The shrinkwrap and positive pole can look different depending on who processes them. But they all have the three lines on the negstive side.

Screenshot_20200311-134752.jpg

• Like 2

@alcatraz they aren’t guaranteed to be “Tesla” batteries just because they’re 21700s right? That’s what I was getting at. If they are used Tesla batteries I’d be interested to know how used. If they aren’t, I’d be interested to know the cells make/model.

• Like 3

Sorry, just read this. Wow, the battery cells really arrive like that? COOL!

@zoomr  I'm really not qualified to answer that inquiry my friend. I think you would have a better chance if you consult Mr @Marty Backe since he has a lot of knowledge with Gotway EUCs, heck have you seen his inventory? he's probably a Gotway shareholder by now. lol jk! But seriously he might have some answers for you. Or you could ask Mr@Jason McNeil, I bet he's very knowledgeable too about all these technical EUC stuff. Goodluck!;)

I can only convey what the sellers say and it's that they are produced by Sanyo/Panasonic. They must be exclusive because they bear the mark of tesla motors.

Temperature and discharge tests are performed.

I don't know why they are being recycled if they are so new. I have however seen markings in english on these long segments. Words like "bad" or similar. A segment as I call it, is one metal strip with cells attached on either side. I call it a strip because it's a flat tube with coolant running through it. It's very long, looks like 1.5-2.5m in length. The cells are glued onto it. I've seen pics where whole strips are stacked and getting ready for processing. Maybe 5 out of 100 cells have something written on them. One letter on each negative pole forming a word. It's always english so the chinese didn't do it.

The whole strip or unit is perhaps scrapped when only a few number of cells exhibit high impedance? I don't know. Or maybe these packs are involved in accidents. No idea.

What we do know from reading articles is that 21700 cells at 5000mAh rating have not been produced for very long. Earliest 2018 is my estimate.

The worst tesla cell you can pick up appears to be around 4700mAh. The sellers call it B and A grade. B-grade they guarantee capacity over 4600mAh.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You should get at least one review soon. Unfortunately there seems to be a battery problem with this guy's (not me) particular wheel, so I'm not sure when or how thing will develop there.

I recently bought one of these 1480wh Tesla's after hearing about @Pingouin's experience. I won't receive it until sometime in June. Really looking forward to a long-range Tesla.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I suspect the left side battery is split into packs to keep trolley handle functionality.

No, it's not split, but it has a weird shape. It has "wings" that go over the trolley handle bars. The other side battery is normal and rectangular. Well, approximately, both batteries look a little crooked and homemade (but it's not bad!).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No, it's not split, but it has a weird shape. It has "wings" that go over the trolley handle bars. The other side battery is normal and rectangular. Well, approximately, both batteries look a little crooked and homemade (but it's not bad!).

If you ever come by a picture I'd love to see it. (left side pack)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I recently bought one of these 1480wh Tesla's after hearing about @Pingouin's experience. I won't receive it until sometime in June. Really looking forward to a long-range Tesla.

You've got to post how it rides vs the original please!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Did you order it from AliExpress too?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, newbie101 said:

Did you order it from AliExpress too?

Yes. $1150 shipped to my door.

• Like 2