Tesla owners, squeezing in a 21700 battery pack, possible?

I don't have a tesla but I consider getting a V2 or newer.

I'm curious to maybe upgrade the batteries using 21700 cells instead of 18650. The difference is 3mm larger in diameter and 5mm longer.

It would mean that the twice stacked cells would enlarge the pack with about 6mm thickness, 10mm taller and 30mm wider.

Is it possible to make room for it?

Edited by alcatraz

cdac4ec96d38237e46d1d486f29c5e2a.jpeg

I don't have Tesla either but this is picture from EcoDrift website. It seems that the bracket where the battery sit leave no more room in any dimension. I don't think it will retrofit-able unless Gotway change the inner shell or reduce the number of cell and add extra padding like those 100v version of Nikola and MSX.

Thanks for the pic. It helps. Tesla owners, any comments?

It would make the tesla 1500Wh instead of 1020Wh. Interesting?

Also could someone comment about the issue of water intrusion into the tesla v1 and v2? Is it common? Is one better than the other?

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice! There's a lighter wheel with range again!

What's the source of the information?

Just an ad in the chinese 2nd hand pages. I was browsing and caught the 1480Wh.

Is the bms external on all teslas?

Does it have two bms's or one?

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rudy Sijnke said:

I hope this is becoming true. A new revolution in wh Batt. 

Monster 3000wh? Nik+ 2400wh? 

Etc😄

21700 batteries do help sometimes to pack in more capacity but they are not higher density. The wheel does become bigger and heavier by a similar proportion as when using only 18650 cells to reach the same capacity.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging this up, :) 

Looks to me like they removed the complete 18650 pack frame from the shell to mod a 21700 pack in. The BMS held in place with a gallon of hot glue does not look like a factory job, too. Since the "pre-owned" Tesla 21700 cells are quite inexpensive, one could order a 1480Wh Tesla V2 for less than 100 bucks more than the stock 1020Wh.  Even if the mod showed on that pic above is not the nicest, it is tempting, 50% more capacity for less than 10% extra cash. 

Greets,

Stefan

tesla1480wh.jpg

Edited by btl
pic added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sebrios said:

Arent the Tesla 21700 Batteries 100V?

why does it say 84V?

if its a 100V, I would love to have this wheel... And see some crazy people do Speed tests :)

The actual cells themselves still have an individual voltage of 4.2 volts fully charged. It's mere coincidence that GW has only used them to form 100v packs thus far, but in this case, the dealer has used them to form 84v packs. 

• Like 3

The capacitors on a tesla control board is rated for 100V unlike cheap inmotion v8 that are rated for 160V.

You probably shouldn't try your luck. Who knows what kind of voltages you get when braking hard? Bit unsettling actually....

They should release a lightweight 100V tesla though with 2.5-3in tire. That would kick some serious ass. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

About the 21700 pack in a tesla the interesting side to see is the right side with the trolley handle. The pictures are always of this left side.

The picture set actually shows it once on one side, and once on the other!

8 hours ago, alcatraz said:

The capacitors on a tesla control board is rated for 100V unlike cheap inmotion v8 that are rated for 160V.

You probably shouldn't try your luck. Who knows what kind of voltages you get when braking hard? Bit unsettling actually....

Why would one 84V pack produce higher voltages than the standard 84V pack? Both 1480Wh and 1020Wh Tesla are 84V. This mod is literally just replacing each 18650 cell with a 21700 cell.

8 hours ago, alcatraz said:

They should release a lightweight 100V tesla though with 2.5-3in tire. That would kick some serious ass. 

They have a wheel of that kind in the works. More likely than not it will be a 100V wheel because they yet only built 100V batteries after the switch to 21700s, and there seems to be no 84V MSP as well. A wide tire also seems to match the direction GW is going. So you can be optimistic there:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why would one 84V pack produce higher voltages than the standard 84V pack? Both 1480Wh and 1020Wh Tesla are 84V. This mod is literally just replacing each 18650 cell with a 21700 cell.

I was referring to the idea of running a 100V battery pack in the current Teslas. If that wasn't implied then I apologise the confusion. :)

Edited by alcatraz