How to perform emergency break?

Serdar Baş

How to do the power slide/stop with inline skates. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7H1yRaOe4

The back foot is placed out of line to stay in balance. A parallel slide (with feet offset, i.e. not in line) is also possible, but apparently much harder to do. I haven't seen anyone to do a power slide with inline skates on one leg or with the wheels touching the ground only in line. I still don't see that it can be done in a reliably controlled way. 

In contrast, on ice skates it is, IIRC, pretty much a standard technique. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCyKRom_IEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsWTm6y7fc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in a situation where the van was turning right into me. It's was dark and the driver didn't even notice he was turning into me.  I didn't have time to brake. I just jumped off my mcm2s, it keep going until it hit the curb. I avoided the van hitting me. Truthfully if I tried braking the van would of hit me. My wheel got a couple sratches but still works like charm.

I've tried out some techniques, be it at moderate speed without going all the way on  the braking (too chicken, once the EUC slipped from under me in a straight line on an uneven road surface) .

I have the impression that turning the EUC slighly towards the end of the breaking, shortens the distance, I guess because the contact surface with the road is bigger. This doesn't really qualify as a powerslide (yet), but could be a good starting point for someone half my age :)  

• 1 month later...

So , after posting here and trying to prove that the powerslide is impossible to do on a unicycle, i actually kinda did it a few days ago :) 

now this was not intentional and i dont think i can repeat it if i wanted to, and i guess it wasnt a "true" power slude but anyway.... I was riding on sidewalk by some store fronts and this guy slammed the store  door open and ran out of the door right in front of me. I tried to avoid him by turning towards the road and at the same time braking. turning was sharp as if i just rotated the tire 90degress to the direction of travel. The tire skidded a bit and slowed down. Now, i didnt come to a full stop by doing this so it doesnt fully qualify but it was close. In any case it appears that one can if not do a true power slide but at least make an impression of a power slide while turning and braking....i will try to see if i can do this on purpose and maybe some day can take a video

Hehehehe! The most incredibles maneuvers that I did riding my motorcycle was during emergency situations, I did some maneuvers that the best stunt probably will envy.

I was sure that is possible to do a powerslide, now you proved that is possible, now you need to polish the technique.

On 26.01.2016 at 8:07 PM, DiasDePlaya said:

Hehehehe! The most incredibles maneuvers that I did riding my motorcycle was during emergency situations, I did some maneuvers that the best stunt probably will envy.

I was sure that is possible to do a powerslide, now you proved that is possible, now you need to polish the technique.

This braking method isn't quite reliable as Its almost impossible to control a lot. If road is a bit slippery then the unicycle most likely will slip out. First of all, the pedals are not attached to the boots, and the machine is quite heavy, connection with the road is very minimal for the obvious reason - machine dont know whats going on, when slips away in speed and pressure, and the wheel can spin around still, which causes more losing of connection with road. I been riding my bike many years in winter time in the cold cuntrie on the frozen lakes, had a lot of brakings etc, so I know how it is to be riding on the ice.. So I tried your braking method with diferent unicycles on the good roads, in dry conditions, it look impressive. Sometimes I scratched the pedal, though .. but if its just a bit slippery, there will be a lot of damage.. Sorry for my bad english.

Archived