2020 EUC

F.J. Abaya

On 1/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, herve jean said:

The most important point to improve for me: BATTERY RANGE AND WEIGHT !  In a modern society where all devices are obsolete in one year, it is surprising  that the unicycle renewal of models is so slow,for example the Inmotion VF10 is already 2 years old and no replacement model in sight.

We did not have any propper battery developement in years. You will not see any major jump in battery packs until the switch to solid state batteries occours. And this is at least around 5 years in the future.

All the phone companies mostly did not improve the batteries but the efficiency of the hardware.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As long as this thread is turning into a wish-list...:popcorn:
Time for real carbon instead of fake one (16x)
Warp charge or something...
Headlight with proper beam-forming finally
Water-proofing + clarity on winter kits (incl. pedals) from original manufacturers. +Maintainability!
Storage solution (home and car), charging cradles?
Frickin laser!

3 hours ago, Intertracer said:

As long as this thread is turning into a wish-list...:popcorn:
Time for real carbon instead of fake one (16x)
Warp charge or something...
Headlight with proper beam-forming finally
Water-proofing + clarity on winter kits (incl. pedals) from original manufacturers. +Maintainability!
Storage solution (home and car), charging cradles?
Frickin laser!

You forgot the airlock for when you are taking it to space.

J/K aside. 

I have proper weatherproofing and all season rideable (tire options as for clearance between shell tyre, for studded and real off road/show tires). 

As for carbon case/shell... How much would you pay for that honestly? I rather spend money on other things. 

Back to the J/K... How much range would you allow them to cut off your range? 😉✂️

Edited by Unventor

I'd really be curious to see how a fat 14 x 3" or a 14 x 4" tire on an EUC would ride and handle, I think it might be able to handle commutes on rough roads but still give that better torque given the small diameter.

I think the obvious thing I want to see is battery efficiency continue to improve, the ability to hot-swap battery packs, or an EUC with solar side panels or some other feature to give it a way to charge away from an outlet.

13 hours ago, Unventor said:

You forgot the airlock for when you are taking it to space.

J/K aside. 

I have proper weatherproofing and all season rideable (tire options as for clearance between shell tyre, for studded and real off road/show tires). 

As for carbon case/shell... How much would you pay for that honestly? I rather spend money on other things. 

Back to the J/K... How much range would you allow them to cut off your range? 😉✂️

Speaking of carbon, IMHO using it in EUC would be one of the most appropriate use of composites in any vehicle design. Let's be real such casing production should not cost over $100 per piece incl. material. Would $200 be fair retail price?

For range I don't need >50km on any given day so I'd gladly trade any surplus for decreased weight/price.

On 1/8/2020 at 6:47 PM, herve jean said:

The most important point to improve for me: BATTERY RANGE AND WEIGHT

They have started to produce carbon nano-tube batteries that apparently have store twice as much energy in the same volume (480Wh/kg , 1600Wh/litre). I'm just trusting the marketing blurb here because I have no idea of the figures for our normal batteries. The carbon ones also apparently charge in 30 mins though they do leak charge over time.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:22 AM, tenofnine said:

an EUC with solar side panels or some other feature to give it a way to charge away from an outlet.

I can't imagine you'll get much charge from a wheel sized solar panel. The orientation of the panel wouldn't make it very efficient either. It might also make crash damage a lot more expensive.

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

They have started to produce carbon nano-tube batteries that apparently have store twice as much energy in the same volume (480Wh/kg , 1600Wh/litre). I'm just trusting the marketing blurb here because I have no idea of the figures for our normal batteries.

Never trust anything you can't find a datasheet for. ;) It takes 10 years at least until you can buy any new technology. And very often it turns out that the technology is BS anyway.

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I can't imagine you'll get much charge from a wheel sized solar panel.

Correct. You can get about 100W from square meter of panels with direct sunlight. And everyone knows how hard it is to ride with a 2 sq. m sail. ;)
It definitely could be done once as a stunt on a racetrack...
Also, solar panels are extremely brittle. And EUC's crash very often. B)