MSX buzzer or light upgrade. Anyone done this?

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, ZenRyder said:

Or you could go with something completely different. This is rated at 100 db but with the same voltage requirements. It's a little larger, but waterproof and might give you the volume you need. Universal 10-24V 100dB Waterproof Back-Up Alarm - $11.49 It's made to serve as a backup alarm for trucks. The bracket might have to be modified to fit correctly, but it definitely looks heavy duty. The size is listed as: 2.4 x 1.7 x 2.7 inches, so I'm not sure if it will fit...

61sTHqJgNTL._SL1500_.jpg

It won't fit, unless you drill a hole in the side and stick it out wich could not be a bad idea.
20200209-113917.jpg20200209-113907.jpg

Edited by fdmalchemist
wrong image

Whats the volume like on that big one? I would be unsure whether the stock output would be enough to drive it.

I moved the stock buzzer through the case. Much louder and I havent yet failed to hear it at top speed. And thats wearing a full face lid too. I do still need to try it in a strong headwind though.

Edit: Pics removed - having a cull of my uploads to retrieve space.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Whats the volume like on that big one? I would be unsure whether the stock output would be enough to drive it.

I moved the stock buzzer through the case. Much louder and I havent yet failed to hear it at top speed. And thats wearing a full face lid too. I do still need to try it in a strong headwind though.

20200131_084759_resized.thumb.jpg.d745747098af18c2b86eda333e12b25f.jpg

20200131_084543_resized.thumb.jpg.db859a3eeed0006a2e7175218790ee44.jpg

interesting !

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I tried it at 12V and it was  quite  louder. The oryginal one HYT-3015A is rated 90dB at 10cm, and the YUESONIC is 100DB at 120cm so in teory it should be more then 10x louder but in practice it seemed 2-3x max. I guess it's normal hearing works in logarithmic scale too :)

YUESONIC is waterproof but it's not continuus sound. I think I'll install it on the front of the msx using velcro, guiding the cables through the ventilation hole, and driving it using a relay, a buck converter and a mosfet.

Edited by fdmalchemist

3 hours ago, FULspeed said:

I thought the voltage sent to the buzzer was 5V not 12 ... Am I wrong?

I wouldn't connect this buzzer directly to the board either way. Fast circuit from paint just to show the idea:1283748876_newbuzzerformsx.png.dee86a84d435bb116ac64acdf359de87.png

That way the on and off sound would be beeped only on the internal buzzer, all other beeps would activate both buzzers. Having a nice DC converter would also allow to install custom high power lights controllable together with the internal ones. :)
(I didn't measure anything yet so this circuit my need some modifications)

Edited by fdmalchemist
  • Like 2