My Mini Pro 320 had some sort of battery related problem and was never able to get 50% of the stated range (separate thread/discussion posted a while ago). Ninebot sent me a replacement instead of attempting to repair my 320, but it is a N3M240.

I am aware that the 240 has a smaller battery capacity than the 320 and it looks like it also is less power (700W vs 800W).  Are there other differences I should be aware of?

So now instead of having a fully functional 320, I have a 320 with 50% battery capacity and a fully functional 240. On some level, this is an upgrade (two functioning devices instead of one) and I'm sure that one of these days, both my wife will end up riding at the same time, but since 99% of the time only a single device is being used, I really just wanted my 320 to work as expected.

Sanity check: Am I being unreasonable in feeling upset at receiving the 240 (is a full replacement device of a lower end model a reasonable solution to a semi-defective 320?). 

Aside from the principle of the matter, I don't think the 240 vs 320 battery capacity will have much impact for me (I drive <1.5 a day on it) but I have noticed the reduction in power.  

I have been assuming that my reduced capacity was due to a battery issue. Is that a safe assumption / should I try and fix my 320 by pulling the MB from the 240?

On 10/16/2019 at 2:03 AM, Invader Zog said:

Are there other differences I should be aware of?

None, (i have one N3M240/ Ninebot S with range of 22km/13miles) except that you will have a real autonomy of 17Km/10-11 miles

they came out at the same time in 2015. They come out of the same factory, the same base, the same chassis, the same materials, the same firmware, battery capacity and steering bar and hubcaps are the only differences.(weight too)

Am I being unreasonable in feeling upset at receiving the 240 (is a full replacement device of a lower end model a reasonable solution to a semi-defective 320?)

Mini S is not a lower end model, his design is identical and he is at the origin of the mini pro, In 2015, it was planned to be sold in the USA...

But you're right, Segway should not have sent you a less powerful model, maybe they dont have any mini pro in stock for replacement

should I try and fix my 320 by pulling the MB from the 240?

Stay the 320 device without the battery is right ? Maybe you can try to test the N3M240 battery on your Mini Pro

Mini Motherboard is the same than Mini pro motherboard

Try first to mount the Mini Pro battery into the N3M240, charge the battery, and see if it's working fine, this n3m240 is new, connectors, plug are new, if Mini pro 's battery is charging fine, (use other charger too), you have only to remove the steering bar from the Mini Pro and mount it on the Mini

Vice Versa, check all your Mini Pro connectors and plug, charger with mounting Mini N3M240's battery on

Like that,
you will know if the issue comes from :
either the battery,
either bodyframe connectors,
or either the load

Edited by jojo33

At first, these models had firmware of different versions but compatible. Some versions for the Mini Pro were for Europe, South Korea, the United States, and other versions were used only in China.

In June 2016, segway ninebot started to generalize the versions, the updates became uniform from the Chinese servers.

Edited by jojo33

Thanks for the info!

You wrote:

"They come out of the same factory, the same base, the same chassis, the same materials, the same firmware, battery capacity and steering bar and hubcaps are the only differences.(weight too)"

According to the specs I've found, it looks like there is also difference in the power of the motor as well (350W vs 400W per wheel). 

Good point re: the motherboard swapping. I'm getting a swallowbot board from More4Mini and should be more comfortable swapping hardware around between the devices soon.

• Like 1

I cracked open my n3m240 today to install a swallowbot motherboard. On the inside, the there was a serial number and label for a n3m320. The battery says n3m240. Is it possible I received a n3m320 with 4300mah battery (in other words -- a bit of a frankenstein)? It explicitly listed 400w/motor on the tag and I believe the n3m240s are 350w.

17 minutes ago, Invader Zog said:

I cracked open my n3m240 today to install a swallowbot motherboard. On the inside, the there was a serial number and label for a n3m320. The battery says n3m240. Is it possible I received a n3m320 with 4300mah battery (in other words -- a bit of a frankenstein)? It explicitly listed 400w/motor on the tag and I believe the n3m240s are 350w.

Different sites quote different specs, but afaik the motors are actually the same part.

We have never been able to check if the motor-wheel of a MINI N3M240 was really designed to work at 350W or more
Many people replaced the N3M240 battery with the N3M320 battery
I have never heard about a problem with a Mini (N3M240) motor-wheel with a more powerful battery

Edited by jojo33

Just now, jojo33 said:

We have never been able to check if the motor-wheel of a MINI N3M240 was really designed to work at 350W.
Many people replaced the N3M240 battery with the N3M320 battery
I have never heard about a problem with a Mini (N3M240) motor-wheel with a more powerful battery

My second device (that came with the 240 battery) had a label on the inside that said it was a 320. I’m curious if this is unusual or the status quo...

2 minutes ago, Invader Zog said:

so I’m not sure which source is authoritative

Sources...:roflmao:My first source are from official FCC website, i downloaded users manuals, Ninebot to obtain FCC certification, must provide the user manual as an additional part

But, with official xiaomi mijia ninebot and segway europe users manuals i found differences, we find subtleties on the speed, for example. In the last three years I have found more than three user manuals for each model, with some differences.

My most reliable source remains segway USA, Segway USA has always had all the user manuals to download.

For users manuals from FCC, It should be noted that last year, Ninebot changed some data concerning the Mini PRO, and a new manual was published.

Finally, to know users who have upgraded the batteries without problems, you have no worries to have, your motor wheel will not burn :efee47c9c8:

What a tangled mess of data! Thanks for all the info/insights!

To my original question, is it odd that I got a 320 motherboard with a 240 battery from ninebot USA? I’m trying to understand if a 240 and 320 are the same with only a battery difference (which would explain my observation)