SAFETY ADVISORY: Faulty charger may lead to risk of 16X battery fire

photorph

Why you don't post it here for all users?

Makes no sense just to say, they should read the mails. :efef2e0fff:

Then you can also send an e-mail to all customers to read the other e-mail. 

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Why you don't post it here for all users?

Makes no sense just to say, they should read the mails. :efef2e0fff:

Then you can also send an e-mail to all customers to read the other e-mail. 

Sorry I am trying to catch up on a lot of things today due to this KS16x issue.  In a nutshell, do not use rapid charger with KS16x.  one of them charge it beyond 84v resulting in fire.  I'm many customers who bought from ewheels will be posting it, they already have on fb. 

15 minutes ago, photorph said:

Hey all, ewheels just sent out an advisory regarding the KS16X.  Please read it, you got it if you bought from us.  Do not use fast chargers supplied by ewheels with KS16X

1 minute ago, photorph said:

Sorry I am trying to catch up on a lot of things today due to this KS16x issue.  In a nutshell, do not use rapid charger with KS16x.  one of them charge it beyond 84v resulting in fire.  I'm many customers who bought from ewheels will be posting it, they already have on fb. 

Really? Why did you omit the fact that it was probably a defective charger. Per the 1st paragraph in the email

We have just received an alarming report of a 16X catching on fire after being used with a defective charger

Sometimes I really wonder about this forum...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvoKnvl said:

Really? Why did you omit the fact that it was probably a defective charger. Per the 1st paragraph in the email

We have just received an alarming report of a 16X catching on fire after being used with a defective charger

Sometimes I really wonder about this forum...

mentioned in my posts it's the charger likely.  However the wheels should have some fail safes to prevent this.  Jason is working on it with charger supplier and kingsong.  

Correct, nothing to be concerned about.  More than likely it's one faulty charger that led to this.  However still waiting on more info.  No need to worry, the advisory to stop using rapid chargers supplied by ewheels is precautionary.  

I have been on phone while typing all of this, so let me emphasize again.  NO need to be concerned.  The only thing to take out of it is don't use ewheels rapid charger with 16x until further info is available.  

Thanks.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

So then the warning should not only be for the 16X.

It´s got nothing to do with the wheel then.

Exactly, the way some people post on this forum, if you bought a 16x, you're getting a pedal-tilting, firmware bugged, 20mph wheel that will explode when you fast charge it.

• Like 1

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to WARNING, FIRE DANGER: defective ewheels fast chargers can lead to battery fires with the Kingsong 16X (maybe just one faulty charger, no need to panic)
1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like the situation isn't 100% clear right now. Usually the BMS should prevent overcharging, shouldn't it?

exactly, I don't want to say anything additional until the charger supplier and Kingsong have both given us their input.  For ewheels customers, watch your emails for updates and just follow what they say.  

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Usually the BMS should prevent overcharging, shouldn't it?

I hope there will be a KS16X V2 next spring. The only stupid thing is, which idiot will buy mine? :confused1:

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like the situation isn't 100% clear right now. Usually the BMS should prevent overcharging, shouldn't it?

Is this really true? So you can pump 100-volts into a 84-volt wheel with no problems? Hmmmm.

• Like 2

But actually the charger should only be switched on after it has been plugged into the EUC. So first wheel then wall.

Smart-Select-20191015-233804-Facebook.jp

So you have to proceed as follows if you want to do it correctly:

Switch on Charger (not connected to EUC) 

Check voltage

switch off

Plug into EUC

switch on.

I posted the full service advisory in the first post.  This advisory is just to be on the safe side as Jason decided to take the being overly cautious approach.   

Edited by photorph

Hmm, I just checked mine and it's fine, BUT, I've only charged my wheel 3 times (3 or 4 amps only), I"m going to continue using it but will watch it like a hawk AND only charge outdoors. EDIT:  My charger is only a few weeks old as is my wheel, it sounds like the charger in question is about the same age as mine, I don't ride a lot of miles so I'll be using the standard charger til I get word about this fast charger.

Edited by RetroThruster

1 hour ago, EvoKnvl said:

Exactly, the way some people post on this forum, if you bought a 16x, you're getting a pedal-tilting, firmware bugged, 20mph wheel that will explode when you fast charge it.

:laughbounce2:Only people that don’t own one say that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alex5454 said:

but if you buy 2 original 1.5 A chargers? could something happen to the KS 16X?

with the quick charger you get 5 A? and instead with 2 chargers 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 A RIGHT?

My 16X came with 2.5 Amp charger.

Using original charger that came with it should be FINE.  Yes you can use two of the original 1.5A chargers for total of 3A.  I've used the regular and ewheels rapid charger with mine with zero issues, however as I mentioned to be on the safe side for now avoid using the 5A rapid charger. 

• Like 1