TG-F3 264Wh - for a newbie

Leonid Goldin

Hello Guys ,

I am new here , I am looking for EU for ride to work .. the distance around 4 kilometers to 1 way..

I am not looking for pro EU , I find nice deal in Tiny Deal : http://www.tinydeal.com/tg-f3-self-balancing-unicycle-with-264wh-samsung-lithium-battery-p-142953.html?ship_to=IL

I know that the standard version come with 132 Wh ,  the 264 wh is much better ?

Thanks in advance

You should go for the one with the bigger battery.  The TG F3 was one of the original unicycles I was considering but changed to the one that I have now as I wanted to have a unicycle that could make it up some steep hills in my area with no fuss.

You say you only want to use it to travel to work.  Trust me, the unicycle bug will bite you and bite you hard and you will want to ride it for leisure too.  It really sucks if you have to keep going back home to charge up again with a small battery.  If it is the TG F3 you are wanting to go for.  Alternative website for you to check out.

http://www.banggood.com/Wh-TG-F3-264Electric-Wheelbarrow-Balancing-Unicycle-30-35km-Endurance-p-948467.html

With the 264wh battery you could make that journey 2.5 times but that is going for optimum scenario.  Real world use I generally like to minus around 5-6km for range.  F3 is stated at 30Km so going with my rule thats 24km.  T3 is rated at 15km so 9km real world use.  So you are going to be cutting it close with the T3 and you really want piece of mind that you are going to fully make a journey.  Another thing to consider too is that once your battery level gets below 30% the unicycle will start to reduce the maximum speed you can do.  Usually by half so to can still make the distance but the last part of your journey will take longer to do with the T3.

As mentioned before having a bigger battery is better for leisure riding too.  One of the most talked about things on these forums is how to make your wheel go further by attaching external batteries and the like.  Better to start with a wheel with already a big battery is what I recommend.

In terms of performance.  There is little difference between the T3 and F3.  Apart from the shell design and F3 weighing a little more due probably because of the larger battery.

I actually took a look at the TinyDeal website that you linked.  Although the price is great they really need to update the details of the specs.  If I was a first time buyer I would be misled by the information provided there.  They state the range of the TG T3 as 15km-35km, with the 132wh battery... Even if you factor in my rule of minus 6km from the stated range the upper tier distance is absurd. 

They also state the battery as 400W.  Which really means nothing in the big picture.  This would misled people to think it was 400wh battery which is not the case.  I even checked customer reviews to see if this was the case and true enough some customers thought just that.

I have a Tg-F3 with 264 Wh battery. I'm still learning and would be able to get rid of training wheels in a week or so. I couldn't tell the mileage for a full charge yet. The build quality seems OK from outside but inside could be another story.

Yesterday I charged it and pulled the plug and one of the prongs came off! I opened the plug and see there was a missing solder at the joint! See the image. I didn't bother to tell Banggood, I just solder it back and now it is fine. So the quality of the charger is not good and I'm not sure if Tg-F3 guys made the charger or not.

post-170-0-68232800-1427747519_thumb.jpg

Looks to my like chinese standard quality (just the way it is usually with products from there).

So I hope GotWay is high above this standard!

Do not get my wrong guys, but the average is really not very high!

For real use, like you have to get to work by a certain time, and get home reliably; consider spending more on a 'brandname' wheel, like the Gotways that everyone talks up, or a Solowheel. The price difference to a Gotway is small considered to missing a meeting or getting stranded.

Get more battery than you think you need. Range anxiety is a horrible thing and will discourage your use.  I saw somewhere 5km per 100 w/h, which sounds about right to me. So the TG-T3 I have is about 7km. Which is 3.5 km out and back, with the back a bit risky. 

The gotway 14" 680 w/h is where I'd be, if I needed a commute wheel. It is fast, it is reliable, it has a big battery.

For just goofing on, or errands, etc, the TG-T3 I have with 132 w/h is just fine. I need to go 10 blocks at most, which is like 1km. So my 2km round trip can be made on a half battery etc. I would never try to do 'must' tasks with this wheel.

• 7 months later...

I just received my TG F3 yesterday with the 264wh battery (Verified by opening the case).  Unfortunately, it came with a defective charger, so I'm only getting 1/2 to 3/4 charge when it cuts off.  That means I cannot give distance specs.  But, I took a nice 5 mile ride today and it was still running just fine on the single light that was left.  I came from a HoverBoard, and I have to admit, this experience is WAY better!!!  I'll keep my hoverboard for around the house and such, but I doubt I'll be giving it much other love...  I can still let grand-kids and visitors ride it as it is a BIG hit for beginners.

I have to also admit that I'm already thinking I will need to upgrade to a larger wheel with better performance.  This thing is a BLAST, but the alarm comes on too much for my taste.  If I keep it, I'll be modding the volume level and possibly shunting the shut-off protection, but not quite yet, just in case I sell it right away.

BangGood shipped to my house for $240!!!   That's a steal!!!  Less than my HoverBoard cost just a few weeks ago.

One other thing, it was leaning forward a LOT on down hills, so I did the Balance Calibration tonight.  I'll test tomorrow and see if it made any difference on the leaning forward and on the top speed.  If the balance is knocked out of whack very often, I'll likely wire in a switch to perform the procedure without having to open the case each time.

20151121_183931853_iOS.jpg

20151121_194358597_iOS.jpg

20151121_194409133_iOS.jpg

Just now, Villac said:

Nice and shiny! Enjoy it!

Yeah, haven't fallen off it yet.  I'm sure it will happen soon, but at 49 yrs old, I hope I'm not going too fast when I do.  Went off the HoverBoard at 10mph and it hurt, but didn't break anything, so maybe I bounce well...

I don't know for sure yet. Still diagnosing, but it shuts off charging when I get the 3rd light on the unicycle. It will never charge up the 4th light. Also, it wont ride anywhere near 10 miles. 

I'm brand new to this, are there other things I should be checking?  Any adjustments I can make somewhere?  I'm comfortable opening it up. 

41 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I don't know for sure yet. Still diagnosing, but it shuts off charging when I get the 3rd light on the unicycle. It will never charge up the 4th light. Also, it wont ride anywhere near 10 miles. 

I'm brand new to this, are there other things I should be checking?  Any adjustments I can make somewhere?  I'm comfortable opening it up. 

Can you check the output voltage of your charger with a volt meter? It should read at least 67.2 volts.

Thank you for that. I have tried all different sequences of that hoping to get it going again, but to no avail. I've contacted BangGood, and I'm hoping they send a replacement charger. The charger just isn't sensing the voltage correctly and shuts down too soon.

After charging for just over 3 hours, it still does not go above 3 lights. I took a ride today and depleted the battery at 4.69 miles. It did include about 500ft of altitude change, but all very slight inclines on a local walking/bike trail. And most of the way back was downhill. Does this model have regenerative braking?

Just now, Villac said:

Don't know if it has regenerative braking. My TG T3 would clearly go to 4 lights with a charge, and would hold it for 20-30 min of use before going to 3 lights.

Thank you for that clarification.  I am getting NO where near that...  I'm sure BangGood will handle this well, but if not, those chargers are around $20 or so.  I'm anxious to ride it with a full charge.  I'm sure the power and range will increase significantly.

1 hour ago, Compuatic said:

It's your battery not charger, that's why I asked. Mine did the same thing. I took the battery apart and the balancing was terrible between the cells.

I believe you are correct. I tested the charger tonight with a voltmeter, and it's a solid 63.1v. That leaves the battery or charging cut-off system.   Is the charging cut-off on the motherboard, or the battery?  I'd like to do further testing. 

11 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

I believe you are correct. I tested the charger tonight with a voltmeter, and it's a solid 63.1v. That leaves the battery or charging cut-off system.   Is the charging cut-off on the motherboard, or the battery?  I'd like to do further testing. 

The charger should output a minimum of 67.2 volts. I you test the charger without the battery and it shows 63.1 volts then buy another charger.

Archived