Seeing More EUCs

Lillian

It’s incredible to hear that you guys who have more km and years behind you would only see a fellow wheeler now. Just today I was noticing we’re becoming so many that other wheelers don’t do / respond to the little nod / wave we’ve been doing till now. That’s a bit sad I guess, but the natural result of no longer being rare.. At least people aren’t freaking out when seing you anymore.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

In the UK I have never, ever seen an euc outside of the small (6) group of guys I have ridden with. And even our demograpic splits from 15 miles one side of the Thames to 15 the other. Quite unbelieveable stats really.

That said I hate London with a passion so never go there. I guess there is more chance of seeing one there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Huey3D said:

Downtown Toronto has quite a few euc riders, as well as OneWheels and e-sk8s.  There is a small club on Facebook (Toronto E-Riders, 265 members) organizing weekly or monthly rides. I have yet to join.

The city has a decent, constantly evolving, bicycle path network. I personally rarely see electric unicycles, but every time my heart races; it is still so unusual!

A couple of months ago I saw a guy dressed up like a Transformer or Robocop (very futuristic-looking) delivering food (Foodora or Uber Eats?) swooshing by on his MSX. On my way home, a young guy was riding his Solowheel/InMotion V8/Glide 3 in the bike lane, probably commuting to/from school. Another day, in the suburbs, on a separated sidewalk (meaning there is grass between the road and the path) I saw a rider with a big backpack heading towards the commercial area (probably going shopping).

Only saw 2 Segway riders over the last few months (beside the Segway tours operator based in the Distillery District (East of the downtown core)). Segways should be more popular with all the filmmaking being done here, but I guess, unless you are carrying a big camera, the cool factor is almost gone.

Came back from a vacation in the slightly more isolated Canadian Maritimes (New Brunswick, Prince Edward’s Island, Magdalen Islands) and the feeling I got from the people staring at me riding the King Song was exquisite! I was from the future or an Alien with impossible advanced technology. They certainly are not exposed to frequent UFO sightings!

There is something very cool about unicycles. For most people, that magical balancing act truly is fascinating.

Thats hilarious. Just from your description, i know exactly who the first two people you saw were XDD. 

You should come out to some of the group rides next season! Im still riding all winter, but just alone. 

1 hour ago, seage said:

You should come out to some of the group rides next season! Im still riding all winter, but just alone. 

I will ride again soon, probably around Christmas, if the roads are dry, after I heal from a very inconvenient broken foot.

• Like 1

I was looking into getting a pev this year and the euc was my last choice, but after watching numerous vids of the euc zooming through traffic, streets and sidewalks won me over.  What a difference seeing a real world usage of an euc on the street and made it look really fun.

I definitely like how badass you can look at a corner and just launch effortlessly, with the stunned stares of what is that?

I'm currently aware of only 3 or 4 other riders according to my friends telling me they saw a euc.  It took them awhile to differentiate the onewheel and euc.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, Lillian said:

I wanted an EUC after seeing a guy effortless roll by on one. I never thought I could do that, but here we are.

That's how I got started almost 4 years ago. I saw a guy riding one of the early Solowheels. Wow, what was that? I searched on the Internet and found out. Like you, I thought I could not ride it, so I got a hoverboard instead. After riding hoverboards for a while I built up my courage to buy a TG T3 on sale for about $200. It was a nice starter wheel. Looks like it's discontinued now. My current wheel: 18XL.

https://www.gearbest.com/exercise-fitness/pp_75295.html

• Like 2

About 4 years ago a guy in my area rode a Solowheel. Seeing him is what started my interest in EUCs. He apparently left the area after about a year. Thereafter I have only seen one other EUC rider. I see him very rarely. A few times I have thought he was gone, then I see him again. He was riding a IPS 121 the last time I saw him, which was a few months ago.

:whistling:  Calgary?  Where’s that?  Is that like a city?  Isn’t that like someone’s name?  Cal Gary?  Kinda dumb sounding name for a city if ya ask me.  :innocent1:

I’m tempted to go riding maybe tomorrow.  Maybe just add a few more layers.  I just don’t like my face freezing with the windchill and my hands getting numb as my Hillbilly’s let a lot of cool air through.  I don’t know how you guys who ride in temps below 10°C do it.  Brrr!  :eff01bbbfc:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love Check out Batman! :thumbup:https://goo.gl/maps/3ak8dNSbDWk5DPJo7

We're less than 1% of e-scooters. It's no wonder we don't see each other. I only saw an EUC "in the wild" (not on a meetup) 2 times.
This will never change. EUC's will always be a niche, with most people using e-scooters because of a learning curve. And that's fine! :clap3:

The only thing that matters to me is that EUC's are legal. As they are, I'm happy.
And places like Germany can go burn in hell.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

We're less than 1% of e-scooters.

Not everywhere in this world EUCs are that rare though. Last year in Paris I found that EUCs accounted for 2.5% of the bicycles and 10% of the kick+e-scooters.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Huey3D said:

I will ride again soon, probably around Christmas, if the roads are dry, after I heal from a very inconvenient broken foot.

Hope your healing is going well! Get better soon, mate. I've been riding mainly on dry days, but I still go for a ride in the snow, lol. Because why not. Interesting thing is how the wheel responds in cold weather. Like, on super tight, sharp turns, the pedals tilt back. Where as in the spring/summer theres either no tilt or a slight tilt forward. You really get to know these wheels. Anyways, im out in King, so if you are ever this way, give me a shout. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 1:21 PM, seage said:

im out in King, so if you are ever this way, give me a shout. 

I certainly will. I love getting away from the downtown core (work downtown and live in Scarborough). Will get in touch as soon as the foot is ready for some reasonable stress.

• Like 1