Kingsong 16X is it safe to use in heavy rain

skautas2003

Today traveled to work in heavy rain till now no issues.

Does any one ride in heavy rain? Is it safe to do that without extra preparation? Could it survive deep bogs?

Winter is coming  :) 

P.S. I have second batch ks 16x.

• Like 1

I just got caught about a mile from home in a heavy rainstorm. When I got home, the wheel started turning itself on. Can't turn it off. Bluetooth connection is intermittent, headlight and LEDs are flickering.

It's my first wheel, and I should have been more conservative, but I have a hunch I just toasted my first wheel with < 100 miles on it. Started commuting with it on Monday after a month of building comfort, and looks like I get 1 week out of it for that purpose.

Sigh...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

I've been riding my 16X rain or shine for the past 1350 miles with no issues. I wouldn't ride the wheel through deep puddles but besides that go for it. The controller has a conformal coating and all the wiring has nice connectors. I don't see an issue with winter riding on these. I live in Portland Oregon so I'll definitely be putting the wheel to the wet test this winter.

-Justin

I have also been riding my 16x rain or shine just north of BleepBloopBlop in Seattle. 

Edited by prasket
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bonefish said:

I just got caught about a mile from home in a heavy rainstorm. When I got home, the wheel started turning itself on. Can't turn it off. Bluetooth connection is intermittent, headlight and LEDs are flickering. [...] 

Hi bonefish, 

I had a pretty similar experience two weeks ago. Just waiting solved it for me.

I had to go home early that day to catch my train to Oktoberfest :D, but I was caught by heavy rain as well, plus additional strong headwind for a distance of about 7 km. 

When I arrived, I stopped for several seconds, standing still with one foot on the pedal. In this moment the wheel turned off with a "beep" :blink1:.  I was worried, of course, so I tried to turn it on again (should have been waited instead). 

The wheel turned on once, but behaved as it would have been charged: No balancing, lights turn on/off in darker/lighter conditions, possible to connect with App...  BUT, it wasn't possible to turn it off again, not by pressing the power button nor by using the App. Out of curiosity I connected it to the Charger for some minutes which worked as well. But it still wasn't possible to turn it off.

I had to let the wheel in that condition at home, because I had to leave urgently.  When I returned 24 hours later, the wheel was standing at it's place balancing, as if nothing had happened before. Turn on/off and everything else worked as usual. B)

My suspect for all this behavior is the sensor on/off power switch, which possibly got wet during the rain showers? I've done about 100 km since then, with no further issues... 

Regards, Borg

• Like 3

It's probably a good idea to disconnect the battery on a wheel exposed to water that's been behaving erratically- first, if there's water in the control board area, there's more risk of corrosion if the power is still active while it's drying out. Second, there is a real (probably low, but) risk of fire should the water short the wrong bits on the board or connectors- possibly at night, while you're sleeping. Not a great situation, if you can avoid it.

• Like 1

I will share this much. It might be for different reason. I don't know at this point. But My KS16X is in for service (investigation) after riding in very light rain. 

I don't know all details yet, not the result of the investigation. But I have ridden my V8 and KS18L in much much heavier rain without issues. 

Nor did there exit water from the wheel 30 min after I stopped riding but I got some very oddly behavior from the wheel. I promised @Marty Backe more details once I have facts. And I will keep that promise. For now I am still waiting for facts. I am letting my Dealer and KS work this out rather than having my rookie skills of EUC troubleshooting be the judge here. That is also why I didn't open the wheel prior shipping it to dealer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tessa25 said:

How much of that is necessary to replace a tire?

Sidecover on both side, disconnect battery both sides, disconnect motor and 1 more tiny cable. 

Lift of buttom half of led strip on both sides. Remove 5 bolts on both sides. Carefully slide out motor (make sure motor and the tiny cable don't get damage, might be Hall sensor cable) 

... BUT please double check this. I might have forgotten 1 or 2 things. @Duf has a video of it. 

Compared to other wheels it should not be hard or complex to do. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bonefish said:

@Unventor Thanks for that Youtube tutorial -- very helpful

Ehh you are welcome. I found the disassembled and assembling videos are great to have viewed before starting to do anything. As it gives a different perspective on the job at hand. I have asked/given feedback that KS should do this on all wheels. As I would love that for my KS18L... It is fully disassembled down to the tiniest screw waiting for parts still. :sleep1:I lost 5+ weeks already as shipment to my dealer is lost. No new planed shipment incoming... <_<

And my KS16X is sent of for water damage/odd behaviour investigation. Still waiting for and answer on that too. Maybe some news end of this week/start next week. 

So starting to get no-ride grympy 😖🤯😡

• Like 1

So today I got an update on my wheel after riding it in light rain (like 2-3mm/hour) for 1 hour and about 10km, I never considered it to become an issue. But..... 

As promised @Marty Backehere is my initial status, still waiting for answers to follow up questions after reviewing the pictures I got.

In fact, it's hard to define how heavy the rain is. And I personally suggest everyone better not to ride in the rainy day, which extend braking distance and difficulty.

Also I add text description in user manual of KS-16X "Do not ride on wet, slippery surfaces, especially snowy roads", because it's not safe riding at all.

When I ride KS-16X in the rainy day, in my mind, i want to ride more fast to go to the destination. Difficult to heard four beeps once speed is closing to max current speed, easy to fall down because of pedal tilting back.

In IP44 testing, the time is limited within 15 minutes, not 1 hours or 4 hours. All IP testing have time limit, which means you can't let electronic device in that condition for hours.

Like Samsung NOTE 8, it's IP68 Waterproof, but three conditions

1.  Not moving water, 1.5m deep
  2. Time limit 30 minutes
  3. Temperature between water and device within 5K

So if you put the Note 8 in water for more than 30 minutes, it may go wrong or become dead(I did't test it with my Note 8, since it costed 1000usd in 2017, the most expensive phone i have bought).

Most of users confuse weatherproof and waterproof, and believe if it's waterproof, it can be waterproof at any conditions. Generally speaking, all electronics are not waterproof at all, but it can reach weatherproof or waterproof in specific conditions.

I have a questiion, is there anyone can answer me what IP44 testing time in EU countries? 8 hours water gun with pressure impact the electronic devices? If anyone know this , please kindly let me know. I really want to figure out the testing difference betwen EU countries and China

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Micheal Shen said:

In fact, it's hard to define how heavy the rain is. And I personally suggest everyone better not to ride in the rainy day, which extend braking distance and difficulty.

Also I add text description in user manual of KS-16X "Do not ride on wet, slippery surfaces, especially snowy roads", because it's not safe riding at all.

When I ride KS-16X in the rainy day, in my mind, i want to ride more fast to go to the destination. Difficult to heard four beeps once speed is closing to max current speed, easy to fall down because of pedal tilting back.

In IP44 testing, the time is limited within 15 minutes, not 1 hours or 4 hours. All IP testing have time limit, which means you can't let electronic device in that condition for hours.

Like Samsung NOTE 8, it's IP68 Waterproof, but three conditions

1.  Not moving water, 1.5m deep
  2. Time limit 30 minutes
  3. Temperature between water and device within 5K

So if you put the Note 8 in water for more than 30 minutes, it may go wrong or become dead(I did't test it with my Note 8, since it costed 1000usd in 2017, the most expensive phone i have bought).

Most of users confuse weatherproof and waterproof, and believe if it's waterproof, it can be waterproof at any conditions. Generally speaking, all electronics are not waterproof at all, but it can reach weatherproof or waterproof in specific conditions.

I have a questiion, is there anyone can answer me what IP44 testing time in EU countries? 8 hours water gun with pressure impact the electronic devices? If anyone know this , please kindly let me know. I really want to figure out the testing difference betwen EU countries and China

@Micheal Shen could you describe testing conditions for KS 16X ?

Edited by skautas2003

@Micheal Shen I appreciate you taking time to post here.

But for EUCs to be useful they must be able to handle some rain. We don't all live in countries with 320 days of 10+ Celsius sunshine weather. 

When KS postponed the KS16X production with reference to improve water resistance, as a user I can't help thinking that light rain should be possible. I have ridden my KS18L in much much heavier rainfall. 

These are pictures from my wheel that have just been on service. 

Another thing I find very worrying is the fact the battery wrapping have cracked. 

I must say I am not impressed compared to how my KS18L has worked. Personally I think the batteries should be in a hard cover sealing so things like this should not happen. 

I am not impressed by KS suggestion to how to fix the power button water issue either.

That said I have myself chosen to buy from 1st batch. That is entirely on me. KS didn't force me to buy the KS16X. I were under the impression KS could/will do better. 

These are pictures take by my dealer as I never opened my KS16X. 

https://www.irista.com/gallery/ywtj0clmnkhy

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Unventor said:

But for EUCs to be useful they must be able to handle some rain. We don't all live in countries with 320 days of 10+ Celsius sunshine weather. 

When KS postponed the KS16X production with reference to improve water resistance, as a user I can't help thinking that light rain should be possible. I have ridden my KS18L in much much heavier rainfall. 

Another thing I find very worrying is the fact the battery wrapping have cracked. 

I must say I am not impressed compared to how my KS18L has worked. Personally I think the batteries should be in a hard cover sealing so things like this should not happen. 

I am not impressed by KS suggestion to how to fix the power button water issue either.

That said I have myself chosen to buy from 1st batch. That is entirely on me. KS didn't force me to buy the KS16X. I were under the impression KS could/will do better. 

I agree that current KS-18L / KS-18XL is a very excellent wheel now. KS-16X can handle some rain, my longest riding in rain is about 15 minutes, but it's small.

A little habit is that I always check the weather prediction in my phone, if rainy possibility is bigger, I may not ride KS-16X outside. I am afraid of accident, and choose safe riding weather on my own initiative.

For me, EUC is just a personal transport wheel, and I hate dangerous riding(like dangerous skills, dangerous weather, dangerous road), in a word, i never choose high risk. But some users like high risk, so actually, it's hard for me to understand those guys.

If riding EUC and just come across a heavy rain, I suggest to find a  shelter and stop riding wheels. If really need to ride, better to ride less than 20km/h, so that if slip down, it's easy to protect body. Body safety is important than wheel.

Since I seldom ride in the rainy day, so I can't comment anything about how to protect body or wheel from rainy. If heavy rain when I am riding outside, i think I will find a shelter and wait the rian become light enough to ride. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

The distributor also enquiry my advice about this and send me same photos.

I am sorry for 1st batch bringing troubles to you, also understand that you are a little disappointed about the seller's reply, but engineer's explanation is that the wheel is not designed for riding in the heavy rain or other worse weather.

Also we will invite more Kingsong users to participate in wheel requirement investigate, for designing and improving a better wheel in future.

I also ride 1st batch KS-16X, and still enjoy it every day, especially fast acceleration from 0~40km/h.