Ninebot Z10 is awesome!

M640x

Good to see another owner in our clan :)

Never tried brake assist myself. Not sure I have ever felt the need for it. Rarely tried anything other than 0 or 1 on the ride feel either, 4 just seems like riding with loose axle nuts to me.

I'm still trying to find out what 'Posture Sensor Calibration' is as well. Havent wanted to touch it until I do haha.

You will likely get on with a far lower tyre pressure than you think.

Its a great wheel :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Good to see another owner in our clan :)

Never tried brake assist myself. Not sure I have ever felt the need for it. Rarely tried anything other than 0 or 1 on the ride feel either, 4 just seems like riding with loose axle nuts to me.

I'm still trying to find out what 'Posture Sensor Calibration' is as well. Havent wanted to touch it until I do haha.

You will likely get on with a far lower tyre pressure than you think.

Its a great wheel :D

Thanks for the info.  I'm 210, what do you think the pressure should be?  It seems to ride good at approx. 32 psi

I keep the brake assist on.  Once I got used to it everything was good.

Edited by Senior Coffee

7 hours ago, Senior Coffee said:

Brake assist:  Um yeah, made me pucker the first time it came on.  I'd forgotten about the brake assist feature and the first time I tried a hard stop it surprised me.  If I remember correctly that feature can be turned off.

At first I didn’t care for it. But the Z is so bad at braking that anything that can help is welcome, so I keep it on. 

If it feels good to you at 32psi I suggest you stick with it! For me, it felt like I would lose all my fillings inside of 2 miles and made the wheel incredibly twitchy. I run 14 to 15psi at 85kg.

Re brake assist...well thats just the thing - I have never felt that the Z lacks braking. Probably just me, I havent ridden anything other than the Z and V5F to compare. It does stop when I want it to though. Maybe I should just give it a go and see. Tbh I am probably just paranoid of overleaning to the rear, just as I am to the front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Re brake assist...well thats just the thing - I have never felt that the Z lacks braking.

Do you ride in traffic? If you’re just cruising along on sidewalks and bike lanes you won’t ever notice this unless you’re going down steep hills. The need to stop when cars stop will exhibit just how poor braking performance is, as will going down steep hills.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

If it feels good to you at 32psi I suggest you stick with it! For me, it felt like I would lose all my fillings inside of 2 miles and made the wheel incredibly twitchy. I run 14 to 15psi at 85kg.

Re brake assist...well thats just the thing - I have never felt that the Z lacks braking. Probably just me, I havent ridden anything other than the Z and V5F to compare. It does stop when I want it to though. Maybe I should just give it a go and see. Tbh I am probably just paranoid of overleaning to the rear, just as I am to the front.

Need to put more miles on it as I'm still getting used to it really.  It does feel pretty good at 32 psi.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Planemo said:

The Z10 has to be the most unusual wheel when it comes to tyre pressure! 32psi feels perfect for some, whereas less than half that (15psi) feels perfect for others! No wonder it is taking me an age to find that perfect pressure for me.

And I'll fight anybody who says it isn't the sexiest wheel out there :wub::ph34r:

Edited by Retrovertigo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

Great write-up and I got really excited seeing your stand as well. Until I went to their website and saw that they don't have an overseas shipping option :( 

The files for that stand can be found on Thingiverse.com, you can probably ask someone to 3d print it for you for a couple of bucks. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Do you ride in traffic? If you’re just cruising along on sidewalks and bike lanes you won’t ever notice this unless you’re going down steep hills. The need to stop when cars stop will exhibit just how poor braking performance is, as will going down steep hills.

That's a fair point, no I don't.

The only argument to that I can think of is that much of my riding is done around people, kids, cyclists, dogs etc which can be unpredictable as we know and yet I haven't even come close to a brown pants moment. Maybe I am just picking my speed and constantly observing my surroundings to deal with that. Can't say I have ever done a super steep hill either. I certainly haven't gone down anything that I don't think I could ride up.

Aside from that, I didn't think that the brake assist actually increased braking performance, only that it tilted the plates back to better suit the rear lean of your body. So unless your feet are slipping off the plates under hard braking then I didn't see the benefit :blink1:

3 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

The Z10 has to be the most unusual wheel when it comes to tyre pressure! 32psi feels perfect for some, whereas less than half that (15psi) feels perfect for others! No wonder it is taking me an age to find that perfect pressure for me.

And I'll fight anybody who says it isn't the sexiest wheel out there :wub::ph34r:

Yep the tyre pressure is indeed an oddity. I can't think of any other wheel where the preferred user pressure can have such variance.

+1 on best looking wheel. Nothing else comes close IMO and is a big reason why I bought it. Totally stupid reason really but there we go. I am a tart when it comes to things like that.

The MSX 84v gives far more range, at a higher speed, will ride over just about everything the Z does and with less effort. But Jesus I think it looks shite.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Andy5225 said:

I like its look, for the exquisite appearance design,  and its color in a tone of gray which is low-key.

:lol:

I imagine that your thoughts were lost in translation, that quote looks like it came straight off a poncey fashion program describing the latest overly-priced bedroom ornament!

(but it's still a true stament anyway)

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, Retrovertigo said:

Great write-up and I got really excited seeing your stand as well. Until I went to their website and saw that they don't have an overseas shipping option :( 

I'm pretty sure Speedy Feet makes the same stand in the UK

11 hours ago, BarrettJ said:

I'm pretty sure Speedy Feet makes the same stand in the UK

Sadly the one they make doesn't fit the Z10. But I got in touch with the site above and they have quoted me a price with shipping to the U.K :) 

But steep price-wise (because of shipping), but otherwise it is finding somebody to print one etc etc.

Hi.
i have a question about the Ninebot Z10 I'm just after buying.
i downloaded the app and entered my email address to activate the Ninebot Z10 but i didn't register it yet.
and i haven't tried it yet because i have a concern i need to know about before i use it.
when i switch it on and i grab the handle on top of the unit then lean backwards or forwards on the unit to make it move in the chosen direction sometimes it will cut the power to the motor   and tilt downwards then sound an alarm and switch off then on again.
why does it do this? is this normal or do i need to do something to correct this behavior.
I'm concerned if i get on this device it would then tilt back or forward and throw me off.
any advice would be appreciated. thanks :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolf said:

Hi.
i downloaded the app and entered my email address to activate the Ninebot Z10 but i didn't register it yet.
and i haven't tried it yet because i have a concern i need to know about before i use it.
when i switch it on and i grab the handle on top of the unit then lean backwards or forwards on the unit to make it move in the chosen direction sometimes it will cut the power to the motor   and tilt downwards then sound an alarm and switch off then on again.
why does it do this? is this normal or do i need to do something to correct this behavior.
I'm concerned if i get on this device it would then tilt back or forward and throw me off.

Sounds like the lift sensor is being activated, perhaps you can calibrate it or disable it in the app? 

Mine has done it sometimes, especially when I was trying to feel the difference in ride modes using my hand pushing the wheel. You have to semi grip the handle and this was enough to sometimes trigger the cut off switch.

Generally though, you should be able to hold the handle and push the wheel back/foward without it activating as it needs a 'grip' or 'lift'. 

I dont think it can be calibrated, only turned off.

Its never cut out on me whilst riding. In fact I find it a pretty safe lift system, not even sure how it works tbh. Capacitive?

1 hour ago, Wolf said:

Hi.

I don't know exactly what's happening.

I do know mine wouldn't function until I registered and watched  the tutorial on the app.  After that I closed the app then reconnected and it started to function correctly.

thanks to all of you for all the feedback. yeah just after i posted this question i just realized that could be the problem.

so i tried it again. i switched it on then grabbed the top of the handle without touching it underneath and tried leaning on it in both directions. this time no cut outs and no alarm. and no tilting downwards.

like yous said i can only assume it's the wheels cut out lift censor when i pull on the handle to move it in backwards or forwards direction. it must be very sensitive to touch.

as yous can see I'm new to this. i just bought the Z10 it's my first EUC. i never tried it yet because of the concerns I've mentioned but hopefully it should be ok now.

if yous could give any advice for a newbie it would be appreciated. are they fun to use what does it feel like on them once you've mastered it. again thanks for all your help 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolf said:

if yous could give any advice for a newbie it would be appreciated. are they fun to use what does it feel like on them once you've mastered it. again thanks for all your help 

For me personally, it is amazing fun, and also really relaxing at times. I don't sleep very well so have been doing my practice on the roads at around 4am when it is nice and quiet. And the Z10 is so quiet (no idea how it compares to other wheels) that it feels like I'm just floating around the streets. I think because at the speeds I am doing at the moment, I am not having to put much effort in so it feels great.

You know when you are on a bicycle and come to a nice long downhill section where you can relax and just enjoy free wheeling? It's somewhat like that, only it lasts the whole time you are riding :D 

On 10/7/2019 at 6:28 PM, Planemo said:

:lol:

I imagine that your thoughts were lost in translation, that quote looks like it came straight off a poncey fashion program describing the latest overly-priced bedroom ornament!

(but it's still a true stament anyway)

Haha, that's my thought though

• Like 1

thanks Retrovertigo for the info. i find your comments on the night riding very interesting because that's exactly what i was thinking of doing myself.

because there's hardly any traffic about at night at say around 1.00am in the morning nice and quiet. I'll be trying that out hopefully soon.

Hi Planemo i hope your well. your analogy is somewhat funny and strange :) none the less Retrovertigo has a point. like i said previously i never tried theZ10 yet but will soon the next dry day i get. i was imagining it would be like standing on a large beach ball rolling along the road. :)

Edited by Wolf
just a mistake were i replied and thanked the wrong person when they were reffereing to someone else
  • Like 1