Gary Spears

16s 1.3.8 firmware ruined my wheel

After downloading the latest firmware I can no longer recalibrate the horizontal and when you try to ride it tilts forward and backwards horribly the second you turn. Horrible purchase. It ran fine up until this latest firmware.

1.38 would be the version of the King Song App... What FW version were you tryinh to install?

1.08, or 1.09?

12 hours ago, Gary Spears said:

After downloading the latest firmware I can no longer recalibrate the horizontal and when you try to ride it tilts forward and backwards horribly the second you turn. Horrible purchase. It ran fine up until this latest firmware.

It's important to make the distinction between the firmware and the app: The firmware is the software inside the wheel, while the app is what you install on your phone and use to change settings (lights, tiltback, calibration, etc). 

From the number you mention (1.3.8), I assume what you updated was the Kingsong app. Unless you've gone to "update firmware" from within the app, the wheel's firmware remains the same version. 

It's odd for a new app version to create this kind of problems, but not unheard of. I remember having issues with app/firmware "coexistence" with the 18XL some time back: I updated the app, but it was unable to properly "communicate" with the wheel because the wheel was using older firmware, so I was forced to update it. In other cases it could be the opposite and wheel firmware is too new for an older version of the Kingsong app, although I doubt that's your case.

The solution might be to upgrade the wheel's firmware, although that does entail certain risks. It might be better to try an older version of the Kingsong app first. Are you using android or iphone?

And I feel your frustration...it's ridiculous that these $2k+ wheels come with such horrendous apps. It took me hours to even be able to unlock my wheel and ride it because of a problem with the app, and unlocking the top was a nightmare too. But don't despair, there's always a solution. Just try to be patient... (I know it ain't easy...)

Hi Gary,

If you look at this thread, I had similar problems.

In my case I found that there were 2 ways to access the calibration settings from the app. After a bit of trial and error I found it was possible to access the calibration page via a different menu selection, the page was exactly the same but it only worked if I accessed the page from a less obvious menu selection.

Does that make any sense ?  :facepalm: