Suggestions

Anik

Hello all, nice to meet you guys. I have yet to ride a single wheel unicycle (i am a total noob) and i was wondering which unit would be best for someone just starting? also looking for a cheaper but still decent speed unit.. i have found an airwheel x3 unit on amazon for $325, but am quite worried that it might not be the best choice for me. Any help is greatly appreciated and thankyou in advance :)

Hi Anik, welcome!

My recommendation is the TG-F3. It is a no name product from Shenzhen and has a 350 watt motor. Not the strongest but decent power if there are not a hundred hills and mountains in your area. It´s battery has 264wh which I consider a must. Most cheap wheels feature 130wh which is only good für 9 kilometers give or take. The top speed is 14km/h, not a racer but much safer than the fast unicycles and believe me, the speed is ok, you feel some wind in your hair. It is sturdy, it looks good (not like a fancy vacuum cleaner that some expensive unicycles resemble in my eyes) and it sells at 400$ or less in China. For a newbie I find it perfect.

Have fun finding the right wheel :)

I'm only about a month into riding.  That is if you don't take into account the month I watched videos and tried to decide on what to get, or the 20 days it took to be delivered.   I bought a "starter Wheel" .   A Cheap wheel I could beat up and learn on.  It was a good Idea, because If I ended up not liking it,  I wouldn't have spent very much.   Here's the new thought:  I wish now I would have bought a better a wheel to start.

While Airwheel X3 is a good EUC to start with (which I used when I started), you will outgrow it very quickly and will need to invest in a new EUC. If you weigh more than 75 kg, you will find the Airwheel X3 underpowered and frustrating.  So, it is best to spend a little more on an EUC with at least 264Wh battery (as suggested by ScooterB) and 14-inch wheel. I don't know much about the TG-F3 but I will recommend either Gotway or King Song. They have reliable batteries and motor and will serve you well even after you become proficient. Oh, and do not buy any EUC with geared motor.  My biggest regret... the Rockwheel GR-16.

Thanks for advice guys :D i have found the Tg f3 264wh version priced at $340 on a website called Banggood.com? is it a trusted website? also if their are cheaper prices from other website please let me know. 

Banggood is a real seller,  I have bought from them before, but it wasn't a Wheel.   @KaleOsaurusRex  has a post:   http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/478-brands-with-without-unexpected-shutdowns-new-buyers-look-here/    I wish I would have took it to heart.  I bought a Wheel that I wasn't sure if it had cut out or not, but I was thinking, this is cheaper, I don't plan on speeding, and if I get good at it I'll get a better one.  The short story is my son will have his wrist/forearm in a cast for the next month or so.  OK and I'll add so everyone else here will not have to.... We didn't have good safety gear either.    With in a month of riding I'm wanting to get either Gotway or King Song myself.

hi Anik. You should first tell us if your weight exceed 90 kg and what do you want to do with the EU. Driving tours, commute, short distance trips in town? Do you've heavy inclines? Do you like to drive from time to time urban roads or off-road? How many km should it reach (battery capacity x 0,8 x 0,08 gives you a more practical distance in km, don't trust the manufacturers values).

0.8: a battery shouldn't lowered more than 20% capacity left. Going under this can damage the battery. Some manufacturers set the value to 10 or 5 %

0.08: Experience shared with other riders. 0.8 x Wh in relation to the km they got.

Banggood is trustworthy in my experience. Some chinese online shops offer the electric unicycle for much less but when you put them in the "cart" the "estimated shipping costs" maybe higher and in the end it sums up to the same price in total. So calculate carefully. 

Hello Oliver, my weight is 65 kg. I mainly will be using this for commute. Distance from my house to jobsite is 2-3 miles. Sadly, i live in urban area where there are absolutely zero hills.. so no downhill fun for me :( 

Thankyou Colestien and ScooterB for the info :) 

Hello Oliver, my weight is 65 kg. I mainly will be using this for commute. Distance from my house to jobsite is 2-3 miles. Sadly, i live in urban area where there are absolutely zero hills.. so no downhill fun for me :( 

Thankyou Colestien and ScooterB for the info :) 

So you don't need to carry it to subway or into the bus? Just riding from home to office? As you're definetly no heavy rider you've free choice but you maybe want to pick a smaller one? A Gotway MCM2/4 or Kingsong KS14 with at least 300 Wh. With this you can do much more than you currently think about.

Do you need light on the EU? Driving in the evening/ morning? The Kingsong KS14 and the Firewheel has acceptable light build in. Sit down and think about what you really would like to do with the EU or you'll buy twice. Buying a cheap wheel will be a nice entry but than you imagine that you maybe want some more powerful EU, more distance, app support/ configuration? 

No subway/bus here in my area. And i have been usually hitching rides with co workers or family to get from home to work. I do not think light source on my EU will be needed as i mostly will be using it during daytime. I am quite worried about purchasing a smaller battery model due to the dreaded "Low battery shutdown" problem.. If anyone has had the shutdown problem happen to them before please let me know how it actually happened. Does it slow to a stop? or was it like hitting the e-brake in a car? 

E-brake sensation would be welcomed in this case........It's more like standing on a picnic blanket relaxed while you're enjoying the sunset when all of the sudden someone sneaks up (either in front of or behind ya) and yanks the blanket right out from under you!  Absolutely no time to react and it'll give ya about 1/10 of a second to contemplate life as you knew it!

Good thing is, as you noted, seriously consider something with a better battery, control the desire to push the EUs limit, and live in the upper 75% of it's charge.

@Anik ,  Shutdown was like being in a dunk tank when someone threw a fast ball directly at the target, except the dunk tank is moving at 18 mph, and the water is pavement.

I commute 2 miles each way. I use the IPS Xima Lhotz 181: top speed 30 k/hr (I usually cruise at 20 k/hr) I have a 340 Wh battery (after my commute it is down from 100% to 85%, but I have a big hill) The wheel is 16 inch, good for sidewalk/pavement bumps. My wheel is overkill for my short commute, but I like the extra capacity. It weighs 30 lb and it is a rock to lug around once I get to work: I sling it on my back with two straps.

I have done the same commute with the TG-T3, it did fine! It was rougher on the bumps, slow for my taste, and is 50% discharged once home. It is a lot easier to carry at work at about 24 lb.

@Anik , I purchased the TG T3 from Tmart, Chinese reseller:

http://www.tmart.com/T3-Electric-Self-balancing-Unicycle-US-Standard-Charger-Blue_p309763.html 

Price is $270 delivered now, It was $300 delivered when I bought!

Shipment from China to Pennsylvania, USA took 2 weeks, email communication and tracking data was good.

Note that:

the power of the motor is 350 Watts (how strong it can shove the weight of your body uphill against gravity and friction)

The battery capacity is 132 Wh (stacked up number of Lithium ions twitching to make the wires have a voltage difference over a period of time while cumulative work is done)

FWIW, the TG F3 has twice the battery capacity at 264 Wh, it costs $400 at Tmart:

http://www.tmart.com/F3-14-Electric-One-wheel-Self-balancing-Unicycle-US-Standard-Charger-Pink_p309731.html 

Archived