Rolling Wobbles 16x(User Error)

Sertified

Hey guys looking for some tips on getting rid of the rolling Wobbles I get on my 16X. Back story I had a 16s for a month that I loved. I could accelerate and brake with no Wobbles at any speed and ride at 21mph no issues. 

Now I have the 16X I can't keep this thing from wobbling over 21-22mph consistently. It's not the wheel I'm sure it is me. I tried different foot position, different knee angles, gripping the wheel. I still get Wobbles. I ride at 39psi, fully loaded at 200lbs. I personally think my legs got use to the big pads on the 16X. Any advice/tips

15 hours ago, Sertified said:

I ride at 39psi, fully loaded at 200lbs.

Try dropping your tyre pressure to 30 psi.. See what you think of that and increase / decrease accordingly.

• Like 2

Is the tyre centered properly , turn off the lift sensor in app and lift your wheel so it spins does it wobble... You'll have to control the speed when you lift it though

Otherwise let some pressure out and try again and just give you time to adjust 👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

Following.  My 16S is a blast and no wobbles.  I just got an 18XL and I'm getting wobbles too.  Do wobbles get progressively worse until you crash?  I get freaked out as soon as it starts and I immediately decelerate.  Is it safe to push through the wobble?

3 hours ago, GaryL said:

Following.  My 16S is a blast and no wobbles.  I just got an 18XL and I'm getting wobbles too.  Do wobbles get progressively worse until you crash?  I get freaked out as soon as it starts and I immediately decelerate.  Is it safe to push through the wobble?

Yes it does get progressively worse if not controlled. I found that by carving, slight clamping, and/or deceleration I can come out of a wobble. I have had Wobbles at 27mph and weaved it out. Now I have played around with my foot and leg position and I found if I'm not making full contact with the housing I really don't get any wobble. I balance and shift weight using bent knees.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 4:47 PM, Sertified said:

Hey guys looking for some tips on getting rid of the rolling Wobbles I get on my 16X. Back story I had a 16s for a month that I loved. I could accelerate and brake with no Wobbles at any speed and ride at 21mph no issues. 

Now I have the 16X I can't keep this thing from wobbling over 21-22mph consistently. It's not the wheel I'm sure it is me. I tried different foot position, different knee angles, gripping the wheel. I still get Wobbles. I ride at 39psi, fully loaded at 200lbs. I personally think my legs got use to the big pads on the 16X. Any advice/tips

You could watch some of my videos  I mention wobbles and how natural they are in different situations

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

I think I got to the bottom of the 16X wobbly issue -- at least for my wheel.

Here you can see clearly at the 20-second mark in the video, the tire is simply not centered and balanced on the rim:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1443sw4hk131tul/IMG_1727.mov?dl=0

Hopefully Jason from eWheel can help me get this sorted ASAP!  Either that, or if anyone knows someone who can help me here in Colorado?

:)

-J.

1 hour ago, JZT-Colorado said:

Hey Guys,

I think I got to the bottom of the 16X wobbly issue -- at least for my wheel.

Here you can see clearly at the 20-second mark in the video, the tire is simply not centered and balanced on the rim:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1443sw4hk131tul/IMG_1727.mov?dl=0

Hopefully Jason from eWheel can help me get this sorted ASAP!  Either that, or if anyone knows someone who can help me here in Colorado?

:)

-J.

In case you can't see the download link... here it is on YouTube: 16X Wobble Video

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JZT-Colorado said:

In case you can't see the download link... here it is on YouTube: 16X Wobble Video

Have you tried to reseating the bead on the tire? Deflate completely and re inflate the tire making sure your bead on the tire is lined up to the rim.  Unless your rim is bent couldn't tell from the video. 

Edited by Mark Lee

2 hours ago, JZT-Colorado said:

Maybe that's your problem? 

Scroll the first post down until you see the rim. 

2. Tire sit not properly on the rim

Edited by buell47

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

Have you tried to reseating the bead on the tire? Deflate completely and re inflate the tire making sure your bead on the tire is lined up to the rim.  Unless your rim is bent couldn't tell from the video. 

Good idea!  I'll give this a try..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 8:47 AM, Sertified said:

I'M INTERESTED WHAT THE RESOLUTION WAS TO YOUR TIRE OFF CENTER WOBBLE.  WAS IT BADLY SEATED ON THE RIM OR ANOTHER ISSUE?  DID JASON HAVE A RECOMMENDATION?

1 minute ago, Ron Lion said:

I'M INTERESTED WHAT THE RESOLUTION WAS TO YOUR TIRE OFF CENTER WOBBLE.  WAS IT BADLY SEATED ON THE RIM OR ANOTHER ISSUE?  DID JASON HAVE A RECOMMENDATION?

Still waiting on a resolution. Wasn't seated incorrectly.

Use good shoes with properly tied laces. If your feet are slipping around inside the shoe that's reduces control and stability. I like to use sneakers but as they get older I need to tighten the laces.

Then make sure you keep them close to the machine. Leaving a small gap vs no gap makes a difference. I like to adjust my shoes after getting on the machine so that they kind of have to be wedged in a little. I touch the pedal with the outside of the sole first, and in a place so that when I step down to make full contact the soft rubber of the shoe needs to wedge into the shell/padding on the machine. It gives me the feeling of locking in and reduces movement between wheel and rider.

Also try not to ride too far forward on the pedals. On my wheel's app there is an angle setting I can adjust so that I can ride the pedals either a bit back/forward. That way my center of gravity is in a place to reduce wobbles.

When everything is working well then you can make fast turns over bad roads quite easily and controlled, not merely trying to go in a straight line.

As mentioned by others, you might need to try a lower tire pressure to build confidence and experience before riding a bit higher pressure.

Edited by alcatraz

Ok... so here's the result of my 16X wobble-issue:

I tried reseating the original (CYT) tire on the rim myself per @Mark Lee's suggestion -- but no luck.  So I sent the 16X back to @Jason McNeil... he said the CYT tire that came on the wheel was defective and he replaced it with a CX tire (which was a bit of a surprise).  So the wheel came back... and now... it's definitely better!  :thumbup:

Here are my observations and thoughts:

The CX tire definitely has more of a "gyro effect" -- meaning the wheel is VERY easy to maneuver when going slow... but as soon as it gets up over about 10-12 MPH, it really stands-upright and requires a significant amount more lean to make it turn. This isn't necessarily a bad thing... but it's quite pronounced and required me to take it easy before I got used to it (nearly crashed it the first time I got back on, as I wasn't used to the amount of effort to turn it at speed)! Now that I'm used to it though, I actually like the effect quite a bit!  It feels MUCH more solid and stable at speed and I was able to go from my previous wobbly max-speed of 18-20MPH now to the alarm I set at 25MPH without feeling like it wants to buck me off!

One downside, however, is now I'm noticing wobble on acceleration and braking (whereas previously, with the defective CYT tire, it would wobble just trying to go straight and steady down the road). This was much more pronounced when I first got it back... and now that I've ridden about 50 miles with the new CX tire (and also lowered pressure down to 25PSI) it seems to have calmed-down now quite a bit. Maybe I'm just accelerating and braking faster?  I'm hoping this current wobble is mostly due to a skills deficit and will continue to improve... but I suppose between the CYT wobbling all the time vs. the CX only wobbling on acceleration or braking, I definitely prefer the CX because of the stability at-speed. I can now ride seated without wobble (a BIG improvement) and I do feel that I have some control over the wobble now as it only happens if I accelerate or brake too quickly, assuming of course I don't have to brake in an emergency situation, which I suppose would be dangerous... but as I said, it seems to be improving with my own skill. I can also run at 25PSI now, whereas with the CYT tire I couldn't go over 22PSI, which then made more noise and had more "bounce" just going down the road and also contributed to the unstable feeling.

Now... overall, I LOVE this 16X and feel like I made exactly the right wheel choice for my use of mixed roads & trails here in Northern Colorado, both standing and seated. It's a huge upgrade over my V10F -- it's MUCH more capable: I can go up some pretty serious hills without stalling, I can finally pendulum forward and backward, ride backwards as long as I dare, go down stairs without fear, and I even went UP a curb yesterday now that I have the Roll.nz bodyguard!  Woo!  :roflmao:

The biggest downside I have now is that I've outgrown the V10F.  What to do with it? I'm thinking to list it here for sale... It only has 250 miles on it, a few scrapes, but it totally worked for the purpose of bringing me into the hobby before I was ready for the 16X. On the other hand, I would still like to have two wheels -- but what should the 2nd wheel be?  Nikola? (maybe too close to the 16X?)  Mten3? (maybe too small and twitchy?)  Monster?  Other?  Would love to hear others' thoughts!

-J.

15 minutes ago, JZT-Colorado said:

I would still like to have two wheels -- but what should the 2nd wheel be?  Nikola? (maybe too close to the 16X?)  Mten3? (maybe too small and twitchy?)  Monster?  Other?  Would love to hear others' thoughts!

You have my sympathy, we don't have it easy in life and now we are facing a big problem! :efefb6a84e:
With the 16X and not real need for 30 mph+, we probably just have to wait for the novelties next year. :eff006f726:

Oh, my condolences on the CX. :efee612b4b:

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JZT-Colorado said:

Ok... so here's the result of my 16X wobble-issue:

I tried reseating the original (CYT) tire on the rim myself per @Mark Lee's suggestion -- but no luck.  So I sent the 16X back to @Jason McNeil... he said the CYT tire that came on the wheel was defective and he replaced it with a CX tire (which was a bit of a surprise).  So the wheel came back... and now... it's definitely better!  :thumbup:

Here are my observations and thoughts:

The CX tire definitely has more of a "gyro effect" -- meaning the wheel is VERY easy to maneuver when going slow... but as soon as it gets up over about 10-12 MPH, it really stands-upright and requires a significant amount more lean to make it turn. This isn't necessarily a bad thing... but it's quite pronounced and required me to take it easy before I got used to it (nearly crashed it the first time I got back on, as I wasn't used to the amount of effort to turn it at speed)! Now that I'm used to it though, I actually like the effect quite a bit!  It feels MUCH more solid and stable at speed and I was able to go from my previous wobbly max-speed of 18-20MPH now to the alarm I set at 25MPH without feeling like it wants to buck me off!

One downside, however, is now I'm noticing wobble on acceleration and braking (whereas previously, with the defective CYT tire, it would wobble just trying to go straight and steady down the road). This was much more pronounced when I first got it back... and now that I've ridden about 50 miles with the new CX tire (and also lowered pressure down to 25PSI) it seems to have calmed-down now quite a bit. Maybe I'm just accelerating and braking faster?  I'm hoping this current wobble is mostly due to a skills deficit and will continue to improve... but I suppose between the CYT wobbling all the time vs. the CX only wobbling on acceleration or braking, I definitely prefer the CX because of the stability at-speed. I can now ride seated without wobble (a BIG improvement) and I do feel that I have some control over the wobble now as it only happens if I accelerate or brake too quickly, assuming of course I don't have to brake in an emergency situation, which I suppose would be dangerous... but as I said, it seems to be improving with my own skill. I can also run at 25PSI now, whereas with the CYT tire I couldn't go over 22PSI, which then made more noise and had more "bounce" just going down the road and also contributed to the unstable feeling.

Now... overall, I LOVE this 16X and feel like I made exactly the right wheel choice for my use of mixed roads & trails here in Northern Colorado, both standing and seated. It's a huge upgrade over my V10F -- it's MUCH more capable: I can go up some pretty serious hills without stalling, I can finally pendulum forward and backward, ride backwards as long as I dare, go down stairs without fear, and I even went UP a curb yesterday now that I have the Roll.nz bodyguard!  Woo!  :roflmao:

The biggest downside I have now is that I've outgrown the V10F.  What to do with it? I'm thinking to list it here for sale... It only has 250 miles on it, a few scrapes, but it totally worked for the purpose of bringing me into the hobby before I was ready for the 16X. On the other hand, I would still like to have two wheels -- but what should the 2nd wheel be?  Nikola? (maybe too close to the 16X?)  Mten3? (maybe too small and twitchy?)  Monster?  Other?  Would love to hear others' thoughts!

-J.

keep the v10f.  switching wheels helps getting better at all of them.  ride a M10 for a full day.  then switch to your 16x or MSX.  you'll notice you picked up things from the smaller wheel that translate up to the bigger wheels.  I switch between the 16x,  Monster 100v  MSx and M10.  of all those i ride the MSX least.  Used to be my  go to wheel.  Now it sits most of the time.  Ever tried a tesla?  they are very cool in the 16" category..

15 minutes ago, Ron Lion said:

keep the v10f.  switching wheels helps getting better at all of them.  ride a M10 for a full day.  then switch to your 16x or MSX.  you'll notice you picked up things from the smaller wheel that translate up to the bigger wheels.  I switch between the 16x,  Monster 100v  MSx and M10.  of all those i ride the MSX least.  Used to be my  go to wheel.  Now it sits most of the time.  Ever tried a tesla?  they are very cool in the 16" category..

This is great feedback!  The two polar opposites on the spectrum are probably the M10 and the Monster... Of those two, would you say that the M10 would provide more opportunities for learning?

3 hours ago, JZT-Colorado said:

This is great feedback!  The two polar opposites on the spectrum are probably the M10 and the Monster... Of those two, would you say that the M10 would provide more opportunities for learning?

M10 is good for learning  backwards riding.  tight turns and being on the right foot  at the right time.  If you take the m10 fast like  20mph you have to  be on it as the slightest movement causes reactions.   Take that and go to a monster or bigger tire  and you  will feel very comfortable at high speeds 30+ mph as you have learned how to carve and be on the right foot under the right circumstance,  I rarely ride flat footed both feet sitting square.  Im always weighting and unweighting each foot,  you need to develop skills for each foot!