18XL exterior shells?

ricqvo

Hello my friends... So, the time has come, I want to make my 18XL look nice and shiny again... I want to buy new plastic shells...

Do you got any idea please, where to buy it and what pieces of plastic to buy? I am from central europe...

My 18XL got nearly 3000km, what a great wheel... But those scratches from the first 1000km, I hate those...

Thank you guys, have a great day!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ricqvo said:

Hello my friends... So, the time has come, I want to make my 18XL look nice and shiny again... I want to buy new plastic shells...

Do you got any idea please, where to buy it and what pieces of plastic to buy? I am from central europe...

My 18XL got nearly 3000km, what a great wheel... But those scratches from the first 1000km, I hate those...

Thank you guys, have a great day!

https://www.kingsong-europe.com/en/accessories/26-exterior-shell.html#/18-color-noir_mat/76-modele-ks_18l

Did you ever think about wrapping your wheel to refurbish it? You could use your existing shells and also have an endless choice of colours or patterns. User @Lutalo did such with his 18L/XL if I remember correctly. Take a look at his work if you're interested....

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy
  • Like 1

You can definitely refurbish you existing shells. As @Mimetic Polyalloy has stated, I have wrapped several wheels, and painted mine. I will soon be sanding and painting my 18XL once again, because I am curious to try 2k clear coat; I’ve heard great things. You can purchase new shells (Cap, and two outer shells) from your dealer or directly from the manufacturer. They are not very expensive. Good luck.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 9:28 AM, ricqvo said:

If your shells are just scratched but not cracked, you don't have to buy new shells. Instead, as @Mimetic Polyalloy and @Lutalo wrote, just give them new look. You can wrap it with vinyl foil or repaint. I repainted by older KS-18L and it looks great. Sanding, few thin layers of base paint, sanding, another layer of base paint then... whatever paint you'll want :) I painted mine with Granite Crystal metallic paint so it matches my Grand Cherokee finish :)

...and when your wheel get new scrtatches or you'll get tired of current finish, you can repeat the whole process again :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seba said:

If your shells are just scratched but not cracked, you don't have to buy new shells. Instead, as @Mimetic Polyalloy and @Lutalo wrote, just give them new look. You can wrap it with vinyl foil or repaint. I repainted by older KS-18L and it looks great. Sanding, few thin layers of base paint, sanding, another layer of base paint then... whatever paint you'll want :) I painted mine with Granite Crystal metallic paint so it matches my Grand Cherokee finish :)

...and when your wheel get new scrtatches or you'll get tired of current finish, you can repeat the whole process again :)

I would love to see a picture of it. I am getting ready to reassemble my KS18L with new side and top cover (to be painted redish/orange tone). 

Just waiting for few spareparts (that got burned during shipping from China, max unlucky). 

14 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I would love to see a picture of it. I am getting ready to reassemble my KS18L with new side and top cover (to be painted redish/orange tone). 

This metallic paint looks much better in real life. I didn't painted pedals, as they gets scratched each time I turn ;) When pedals are retracted, the scratches are not visible. Also knee pad slightly spoils the whole view, as do the scratches on the handle. Anyway - side shells looks much better than before.

DSC03994.thumb.JPG.a6ca85100d5f3ffd366f3ca013d4f5bc.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GaryL said:

Seba, the panels look awesome.  Did you take the panels off to paint them? 

Thanks :) Yes, I had to take off the panels and remove knee and ankle pads. However one damaged knee pad is not a result of painting preparation; it was torn much earlier, when I first disassembled my wheel and had no skills to do it properly :whistling: