whats the oldest age one can ride an euc ???

bpong

dobrý večer, je mi 55 let, jízda na EUC mne oslovila v loňském roce, sjednal jsem si placenou zkušební hodinu s instruktorem, k mému velkému překvapení instruktorem byl Petr, kterému je 73 let, řekl jsem si, že když to zvládl on, tak to musím dokázat i já, dnes spolu jezdíme  po Beskydech ( horách), myslím, že se jedná o nejstaršího aktivního instruktora v české republice, možná i ve světě, na mém kanálu - ervin mazlik- na You Tube je kromě jiného i společné video. 

18 minutes ago, Roman Vašnovský said:

good evening, I am 55 years old, the ride to the EUC appealed to me last year, I arranged a paid test lesson with an instructor, to my great surprise the instructor was Petr, who is 73 years old, I said to myself that if he managed it, then I have to prove it too, today we ride together in the Beskydy Mountains (mountains), I think it is the oldest active instructor in the Czech Republic, perhaps in the world, on my channel - ervin mazlikna You Tube is, among other things, a joint video.

Welcome and good evening.
( Please use translation, link here )

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Nestor said:

I am 72 and just started riding my new Inmotion V10F about two weeks ago. Took me two days to learn getting on and off, moving on a straight line and making slow wide turns. Now I feel much more confident and venture on our quite neighborhood streets and bike trails. I put about 80 miles on my wheel, feel very proud, and enjoy every minute of riding. No problem with legs or any other parts of my body - just a little stiffness after 1 - 1.5 hour of nonstop riding. So age is not an issue in this pursuit as long as the person is in normal physical condition and has some common sense.     

Awesome & very heartwarming to hear! That said, IMO its much the exception rather than the general for the retired elderly to get into EUCs. Typically when asked, I normally usually & mostly recco ebikes as the preferred PEV. There's hardly any learning involved as most of us know how to ride bikes & it can also be a form of exercise besides getting fresh air & sunshine. The extended range provides confidence to explore & adventure that otherwise might be prohibitive.

While we take "normal physical condition" for granted in our youth, it can be a hard earned attribute as we progress through the years. If possible, I always without exception advocate a GPP (General Physical Preparedness) program to be instill as a lifelong habit regardless of age. We can't help getting old but we can surely do much to delay the effects of aging.

Having normal physical condition allows us to enjoy life & have fun rather than just take up space & waste oxygen while waiting for the inevitable. Think about how much our options expand if we are in good physical condition.

But I digress so enough of my rant on exercise & health. Congrats on you new found hobby. Keep it up & stay safe👍😁

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Learning to ride an EUC is not easy.

You can learn to ride an euc at any age.

4 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Everyone falls. If you injure yourself badly, what will you have to give up?

You can fall from an euc at any age.

7 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

But I still ride, because an EUC is mind-blowingly fun

Riding an euc is fun at any age... (but be prepared to take the ups with the downs).

4 minutes ago, RayRay said:

You can learn to ride an euc at any age.

But not everyone can learn to ride an EUC.

You can fall from an euc at any age.

And some will suffer from those falls more than others.

Riding an euc is fun at any age... (but be prepared to take the ups with the downs).

Which was my point, after all.

I don't know how you older guys do it...I'm 50 with excellent balance, but not on an EUC.  I _s-u-c-k_. Badly.

On 9/21/2020 at 2:52 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

I think the best videos to watch for learning to ride are by U-Stride and Euco. I'm 57 myself so I'm not exactly a spring chicken and I learnt last year. I do still have the motorbikes though and took the wife to the coast on my old kick start Royal Enfield just yesterday :)  

I hadn't seen U-Stride's video before, I'm going to try that...kind of like Sit & Be Fit for EUC riders...LOL. Congrats on owning a R-E...that's a project right there! Awesome parts of history.

I bought my RE new in 2017. Cosmetically it looks identical to every RE but, over the last 60 years or so, they've made a few improvements so the newer ones are fairly reliable. I bought it as a bike to use on weekends but ended up commuting on it simply because it made me smile. If you like the old style of motorcycle, don't mind going slow and you have a garage to store it in then I think they're a great buy (especially 2nd hand). I don't ride mine in the rain because I've other bikes to ride. I've had the RE for 3 years and ride it every other day, during that time it's blown 2 bulbs due to vibrations, no oil leaks or other issues. I think that's reasonable for reliability. Mine was a limited edition Pegasus version and weirdly it's now worth 50% more than what I paid for it. I'm not selling it though.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 9:52 PM, WI_Hedgehog said:

I don't know how you older guys do it...I'm 50 with excellent balance, but not on an EUC.  I _s-u-c-k_. Badly.

I started to ride when I was only 42 and it was really a tough and slow process, and progress too. There never was a "then it suddenly clicked" moment for me like other people have posted about (I'm very unathletic and pretty obese too). But I kept at it and can ride pretty confidently now at 1.400 km. I dont even notice stuff anymore that would have had me break out in a cold sweat with just a couple of hours on the wheel.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

On 2/12/2021 at 12:52 PM, WI_Hedgehog said:

My best early training was on a dock where there was a hand rail. Back and forth, holding on, then letting go more often…
Then circles around a mark on the ground, then figure eights, going tighter and tighter until my body learned the relationship of the forces…
And I can't stress enough, practice stopping quickly from higher and higher speeds

You will get it. And when you do … (smile)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ubute said:

My response is, "If you think you're too old, you are too old".

Oh dear, I'm 72 and having the same thoughts! But I told my wife, only this morning, that I won't buy an S18 until I hit either the speed limit or the range limit of my V8F. So I've tied my hands really...

In reality I doubt I'll ever reach the speed limit of the V8 - whatever daredevil there was in the youth has gone now - but I would like to test my endurance and the wheel's range on a long ride. I'm sure I'll be able to engineer a ride where I have to walk home the last kilometre or so, thereby fulfilling my pledge. :efee8319ab:

Take your time and by the time you order one, they MAY know how to build one that you wont have to rebuild/repair yourself. 72 years old and still making statements that 'tie your hands'? Tell her it was a joke, and in the future.... don't include the old lady in monetary decisions that you dont absolutely have to. I'd imagine a v11 would be easy to justify, if you have to. Hell, at 72, perhaps a solid suspension wheel would help those knees?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ubute said:

In reality I doubt I'll ever reach the speed limit of the V8F - whatever daredevil there was in the youth has gone now - but I would like to test my endurance and the wheel's range on a long ride. I'm sure I'll be able to engineer a ride where I have to walk home the last kilometre or so, thereby fulfilling my pledge. :efee8319ab:

I don't think the daredevil is gone … though I don't know how devilish or daring he was. Most people our age wouldn't consider ridibng an EUC. Wish you weren't so far away — we could go for a "wheezer and geezer not ready for freezer" ride.

I'm looking also at the V8F if I destroy my vanilla V8. A little more speed, a little more range, the light weight of the V8 series is appealing and the build quality (at least of mine) was fine. Still, just look at the S18! Add nice pads, a little paint …

Which is a way of saying (to myself) "blah, blah blah, I'll buy the S18 as soon as King Song improves quality control." Or I'll buy it when overcome by the "gottahaveits" and plan to rebuild it with info put out there by Rehab1 and FBHB.

• Like 2

SEPTUAGENARIANS UNITE!

1 hour ago, Yellowjacket said:

Which is a way of saying (to myself) "blah, blah blah, I'll buy the S18 as soon as King Song improves quality control."

Are they really that bad? I have no experience of wheels other than my own V8F which seems reliable and robust, especially with the EUC Bodyguard. I'm glad I'm only heaving 14kg in and out of the car and it's so slim it slips into the perfect spot in the campervan. The only maintenance I've done is pump the tyre up and tighten the tension screw on the pedals which come loose with all the crashing to the ground.

• Like 1

There are posts on this 

12 hours ago, Ubute said:

SEPTUAGENARIANS UNITE!

Are they really that bad? I have no experience of wheels other than my own V8F which seems reliable and robust, especially with the EUC Bodyguard. 

There are posts on here that detail the flaws of the S18. Missing bearings, misaligned axle shafts, the suspension unable to flex because of washers used instead of bearings aligned with the inner race, etc. You need to check them out before buying. See posts by rehab1 and fbhb. It's also important to note that they really like their wheels, after the rebuild.

Like your V8F, my V8 has been quite reliable. And like you, I appreciate the lightness. I use the V8 for local transportation when living on my boat, and every time I go out and then return (a few times a day), I have to lift it up and over a significant gap (above salt water), maneuver it past obstacles in tight quarters to where it is stored: 14 Kg is good, 25 Kg will be a hassle. Also, I'm comfortable with lighter safety gear at 20 mph than I will be at 30 mph.

Edited by Yellowjacket
  • Like 2

Just caught a vid doing some homework on edirtbikes. As usual, a buncha kids youngsters having a blast on a San Diego ebike ride but what's unusual is that its joined by an 81yr old hipster on a Nikola. Notice he's all geared up & it sure looks like he's having fun hanging with the boys (pun intended).

Physical condition/s aside, it would seem there's no further excuse required for anyone at any age. We can't help getting older but we don't have to get old!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2020 at 12:59 AM, Ubute said:

Hi, I'm 71 and thinking about getting an InMotion V8F. I just want to be reassured that if you wear the right protection and are careful, it is possible to learn without serious injury.

Cheers, Andrew.

Six months later and 3 months on the wheel and I think I can answer my own question. Yes it is possible to learn without serious injury. I've done 163km and now feel reasonably relaxed riding. All the balancing is now done automatically and my arms are free to do... what? I'm not into texting or watching movies so mostly my arms hang by my sides looking as motionless and cool as possible. I like the magic carpet experience.

I've had one real fall when I lost control turning on a steep road with a nasty camber. Saved by the protective gear but regretted abandoning the padded shorts. Suffered a nasty bruise to the hip, but thankfully nothing broken. The shorts are back in service now I've removed the bum pad which made them so uncomfortable to sit in driving to rides.

I mostly ride under 20km/h and the V8F has only beeped me once for touching 25km/h, and once for accelerating up a steep slope (just before I fell off). I am contemplating buying a Kingsong S18, putting a knobbly tyre on it and riding the paddocks and farm tracks around where I live.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2021 at 1:32 AM, Ubute said:

SEPTUAGENARIANS UNITE!

Are they really that bad? I have no experience of wheels other than my own V8F which seems reliable and robust, especially with the EUC Bodyguard. I'm glad I'm only heaving 14kg in and out of the car and it's so slim it slips into the perfect spot in the campervan. The only maintenance I've done is pump the tyre up and tighten the tension screw on the pedals which come loose with all the crashing to the ground.

Mine was and even tho Im a tech, it nearly made me cry to know I had been taken advantage of in such a fashion. I am fully capable of rebuilding a stupid euc, but I am also fully capable of knowing when I don't intend to pay full price for a kit project.  I'll tell you this much, I'm waiting for a different wheel altogether, as KS scared me away. Ironic that their 18L is still my favorite wheel. Probably why i felt such betrayal. I've been eyeing the v11 instead, but meh... I've rolled the dice enough for a little while.

I have also suffered no serious  euc injury yet. My worse to date is when I hit my own ankle in slow motion on the sherm. So yes, you can ride and learn without getting hurt. Its blashpemy to say that my injuries have been of the sort that safety gear wouldnt have helped. Im the opposite of a gear freak and I've 1k+ miles and simple bruises. Of course, now Im playing with fire at speeds nearing 50mph. My time is coming and its coming fast... Trusting ANY of these Chinese build piles of junk at 50mph is a rush in itself. If i wasnt simply madd, i'd probably recognize the risk and choose to do something else.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Of course, now Im playing with fire at speeds nearing 50mph. My time is coming and its coming fast... Trusting ANY of these Chinese build piles of junk at 50mph is a rush in itself. If i wasnt simply madd, i'd probably recognize the risk and choose to do something else.

I just don't know how to respond to this, @ShanesPlanet. Pushing the limits, going for ever more speed - I get the excitement but it doesn't attract me anymore. Of course not, I'm in my 70's. As the body declines, self preservation kicks in. But if you listen to the people around me, they think I'm a totally mad daredevil to ride a unicycle at all, never mind the speed. So it's all relative. I'd be a hypocrite to warn you off, ShanesPlanet, but I'm really grateful I've made it this far in life without any serious damage. I know a lot of people who can hardly stand up at my age. How fast is fast enough?

• Like 3