84 V 10 A regulated, universal charger

Seba

• 3 months later...

As a person who still doesn't own a fast charger I am interested in this mod but I'd like to ask if somebody knows the state of fast-charging for Gotways :)

I've found that a fast charger for 84V 10A (not adjustable) is sold in 1radwerkstatt.de for the Gotway Monster (84V although not mentioned). Supplying 10A for a Gotway Monster was also achieved in this thread (with additional information in the thread linked in the comment):

But I had no success in finding whether the other 84V Gotways (GX16-4 socket) allows this or not.

I own a Tesla and I'm interested in knowing if I can fast-charge it with 10A (or at least above 5A) but I also welcome information about other models for future reference.

Thank you :)

13 hours ago, euccommuter said:

As a person who still doesn't own a fast charger I am interested in this mod but I'd like to ask if somebody knows the state of fast-charging for Gotways :)

I've found that a fast charger for 84V 10A (not adjustable) is sold in 1radwerkstatt.de for the Gotway Monster (84V although not mentioned). Supplying 10A for a Gotway Monster was also achieved in this thread (with additional information in the thread linked in the comment):

But I had no success in finding whether the other 84V Gotways (GX16-4 socket) allows this or not.

I own a Tesla and I'm interested in knowing if I can fast-charge it with 10A (or at least above 5A) but I also welcome information about other models for future reference.

Thank you :)

I would say 10A through the stock GX16-4 with only two wires connected would be too much, but maybe do-able if you were to link the pins.

When I checked the charge port on my 84v MSX (1859wh) I found all 4 pins were indeed wired up so I am not fussed about running my 6A charger through them. 10A...hmm not so sure. I was unable to clarify whether the 5A max rated for the GX16 was for each individual pin or multiples. Knowing this fact would help us a lot with deciding just how much the GX16 can actually take.

I don't notice any increase in heat at 6A if that helps. I wouldn't be averse to trying 10A, but I would infra red temp probe it on the first occasion just to be sure. A single 20AWG silicone cable is good for 12A so I wouldn't be concerned about the wiring, nor the batteries. Just be sure to check how your plug and charger are wired because shoving 10A through just 2 pins on a GX16 could well be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

@Planemo according to Levi/Donald from Gotway a small production of MSX had 4 pins wired (while the others only 2):

msx.thumb.png.34d8ef6a6419aef627776fff66a40cde.png

He recommended me to charge it with a max of 4A:

tesla.thumb.png.e39aac5bf3b5eb35ac7e9fefcf64b3a6.png

Although it doesn't make much sense considering that the standard charge supported by the battery (Sanyo 18650 in 20S4P) is 7A, and a max of 14A, see @Seba's explanation:

After being a pain in the ass Levi just confirmed which EUCs have 2 pins:

friend.thumb.png.08d5d7dcf86fdf2d56d644a5f4dc83a9.png

He also confirmed that the Nikola, MSP, Monster and the MSX 100V have 4pins wired, but it seems I deleted the email by accident :confused1:

Edited by euccommuter

He also said that you can charge using 10A with 2 pins but weirdly enough he implied that the battery may be damaged (when I understand that the cables will be the issue):

10a-2pins.thumb.png.6ae277944c53446eb8d15e38b7245b3b.png

Btw a friend confirmed me that his Tesla v2 from 2020 still uses 2 pins.

Anyone attempted to mod their GX16-4 socket to support 4 pins? :smartass:

11 minutes ago, euccommuter said:

@Planemo according to Levi/Donald from Gotway a small production of MSX had 4 pins wired (while the others only 2):

My brand new 84v MSX came to me with all 4 pins wired.

I cannot confirm if Gotway did this or Intelligent Walking Store (as it was the upgraded 1860wh version) but my money is on Gotway, simply because the transparent heatshrinking and general appearance of the soldering looks identical to the rest of the wheel.

Others have said theres no way it came from Gotway like that.

I can't prove it one way or the other.

@Hansolo thanks for the video! I think that the Tesla has a JST socket, to be honest I only remember 2 wires going into a white silicone blob but I'd say the socket underneath was too small to be a XT30. Do you have a video installing the T-PLUG socket?

After reviewing @Hansolo's video I was a little bit puzzled when he said that the JST connector supports up to 3A (on the Monster v2), so I checked the JST models and there is a version that supports up to 10A (JST-VH) and uses 2 wires, an example. The datasheet also features them.

I believe that there are some people here using fast chargers (5A) with EUCs that have a JST socket. I haven't found any complain related to boards with JST connector burned due to fast chargers (or maybe I am not using the right keywords on the search bar), so I deduce that all the JST connectors on the EUCs must be JST-VH (supporting up to 10A).

Can anybody confirm this as I am now reluctant to buy a fast-charger? :rolleyes:

On 12/03/2020 at 14:42, buell47 said:

É um conector Lenovo. Mas tenha cuidado, o King Song tem um layout de pinos diferente. Apenas no caso de você querer usar um conector Lenovo com um cabo configurado para laptops. 

ok, tks

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I have same charger and Ive just changed my battery pack to 10s from 14s. Now I need to change voltage to 42V(10S) instead od 58V(14s). Ive tried to turn pots but I can set voltage only small range. Is it possible to trim it down by changing pot for example? I have 3 pots there : VR1 VR2 VR3. Any ideas how to make it? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Jir Ka said:

Hi there. I have same charger and Ive just changed my battery pack to 10s from 14s. Now I need to change voltage to 42V(10S) instead od 58V(14s). Ive tried to turn pots but I can set voltage only small range. Is it possible to trim it down by changing pot for example? I have 3 pots there : VR1 VR2 VR3. Any ideas how to make it? Thanks.

You are in the wrong forum?

Here is nothing with 10s or 14s... :(

... and a 84V charger is definitely the wrong thing for this kinds of batteries. Would need extrem luck if one could regulate the voltage this much down with the pots...