KS-18XL Shut Down at Speed

Scott Dorand

Did you feel the pedals slowly (relatively) dipping or did they go limb suddenly? How many miles do you have on that wheel? Was this in the middle of aggressive acceleration? Any logs?

Sorry to hear you need surgery. 

7 hours ago, Dan Travers said:

Wow. I had my wheel beep and shut right off while I was waiting for a light to turn a few days ago. Same deal - full battery, no explanation.

please be very specific about this....
shut or loosing balance but otherwise powered on ?

Edited by Meserias

8 hours ago, Dan Travers said:

Wow. I had my wheel beep and shut right off while I was waiting for a light to turn a few days ago. Same deal - full battery, no explanation.

Mine used to do that too. I figured out it was the trolley handle sensor and disabled it.

The Trolley handle sensor won't turn off the wheel while its moving, so don't worry about it dumping you at speed. But if you don't use it, you can disable the feature in the app. You'll just have to remember to shut the wheel off before picking it up.

Edited by Scott Dorand
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Did you feel the pedals slowly (relatively) dipping or did they go limb suddenly? How many miles do you have on that wheel? Was this in the middle of aggressive acceleration? Any logs?

Sorry to hear you need surgery. 

No dipping, it just shut off and went limp. I was still accelerating yes. I was leaning into it pretty hard. The wheel is sitting at about 850 miles.

Edited by Scott Dorand

25 minutes ago, Scott Dorand said:

No dipping, it just shut off and went limp. I was still accelerating yes. I was leaning into it pretty hard. The wheel is sitting at about 850 miles.

Scary to hear this. I ride the same wheel. I can't think of any good reason for it. I would think accelerating too quickly and over powering the wheel would cause different symptoms. With those miles the battery should be as new. There's always a possibility of a single bad cell that could explain it. Have you been balancing the charge? If you find out anything please let us know. 

43 minutes ago, Scott Dorand said:

At (strong) acceleration missing torque (self balancing) feels exactly like a cutoff.

Best wishes for the operation and a good recovery!

15 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Scary to hear this. I ride the same wheel. I can't think of any good reason for it. I would think accelerating too quickly and over powering the wheel would cause different symptoms.

Unfortionately that's exactly the symptoms of an overlean, accelerating (hard) at high speeds. Available torque gets less with higher speeds until zhe wheel cannot balance one anymore (support the forward leaning rider). With enough acceleration/forward lean this feels exactly like a cut out.

If one accelerates strong enough this overlean can be "achievid" without any beeps/warning or tiltback.

Details: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/7855-anatomy-of-an-overlean/?tab=comments#comment-107721

Btw: @Scott Dorand - you did not lock this accident with wheelog?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Unfortionately that's exactly the symptoms of an overlean, accelerating (hard) at high speeds.

I think it would be interesting to know whether the wheel was actually off right after the accident. That could give some hint to which one it was.

11 hours ago, Scott Dorand said:

The wheel has a broken trolley handle and a few scrapes, but fired right back up.

Did you have to push the power button?

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Unfortionately that's exactly the symptoms of an overlean, accelerating (hard) at high speeds. Available torque gets less with higher speeds until zhe wheel cannot balance one anymore (support the forward leaning rider). With enough acceleration/forward lean this feels exactly like a cut out.

I agree generally. That's why I asked if he felt any pedal dipping before. My understanding is that you would first feel some dipping or tilting before it totally cuts out. But this could be difficult to notice so fast or remember after you recover from the ground. Too hard acceleration is certainly the most likely reason. But I think it's worth investigating if it indeed went suddenly limb without any tilting first. I've had a bad face plant and in my case the wheel did tilt forward first.  

7 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

My understanding is that you would first feel some dipping or tilting before it totally cuts out.

In an overlean there is not separate dipping in advance. It's a dipping that doesn't stop. The pedals just give way and that's it. Because it goes so quickly it may be impossible to differentiate from a so-called cutout.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mono said:

In an overlean there is not separate dipping in advance. It's a dipping that doesn't stop. The pedals just give way and that's it.

That's exactly what I mean. Versus pedals staying hard and level and suddenly go limb. 

Usually wheels cut power at some angle so it would stop even trying to balance after it's at 35 or 45 degrees. 

10 hours ago, Dan Travers said:

There is explanation as @Scott Dorand wrote: trolley handle sensor working incorrectly. Realign & calibrate sensor or just turn it off.

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

Did you have to push the power button?

I bet he put the wheel in vertical position and engine engaged as usual.

30 minutes ago, Mono said:

I think it would be interesting to know whether the wheel was actually off right after the accident. That could give some hint to which one it was.

It could give a hint, but while tumbling around after the incident the wheel can easily spin up to lift cut off speed and turn off, too giving a false hint...

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

It could give a hint, but while tumbling around after the incident the wheel can easily spin up to lift cut off speed and turn off, too giving a false hint...

You always have to interpret the hints in the right way :rolleyes:

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

Btw: @Scott Dorand - you did not lock this accident with wheelog?

No, sorry. I only have the King Song App. And it rarely connects on it's own. I have to manually open the app every time, and it usually disconnects again when I lock my phone.

If you use an Android smartphone, you have to give the app permission to stay active in the background (Allow background activity). Sometimes the function "Optimize battery usage" has to be deactivated for this app too. 

Thank God you had protective gear. It really saved your head. Of course we have some members here that could’ve just ran off the machine once it stoped at 25 mph and been just fine but the rest of us would have face planted like you. I have the 18XL also. I’ll be turning off the trolley handle sensor. let us know how your shoulder goes. Most important is you are overall OK.

• Like 1

I collided with a van last Monday and have broken feet and ankles, bruised ribs and whiplash to show for it. I was properly geared up and wearing Air Jordan high tops - it could have been so much wore. I have secured legal representation!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dan Travers said:

I collided with a van last Monday and have broken feet and ankles, bruised ribs and whiplash to show for it. I was properly geared up and wearing Air Jordan high tops - it could have been so much wore. I have secured legal representation!

That sounds horrible! What happened?!

On 10/6/2019 at 8:50 PM, mrelwood said:

That sounds horrible! What happened?!

I had entered a traffic circle on 18th and Heather - 9:20 am, no visibility issues. A van hit me, knocked me to the ground and ran over my feet and ankles. Not pleasant at all! Needless to say I have secured legal representation. Good safety gear made a huge difference in the outcome - could have been so much worse.