Gotway Monster V3 vibrating when idle?

Bri

I just received my new Monster V3 84 volt 2400Wh today and fully charged it. I went for my first ride and covered 50.5 miles. 15% battery on return and I was getting beeps for the last few miles.  I weigh 180 fully geared up. Was hoping for a few more miles but still happy with how it performed. I’m coming from a Kingsong 18L and the Monster is so smooth and quiet compared to my Kingsong.  

The only issue and question I have is when I returned home I noticed the wheel was vibrating slightly at idle and making light noise. The only thing I noticed on my ride was a slight vibration when stopped other than that it was silky smooth. Is this normal?

The other very minor issue I had was I pulled off the film covering the Gotway Monster sticker and pulled off a couple letters while doing so. I stuck them back on but I’m guessing all will come off shortly and I shouldn’t have removed the film covering. 

• Like 1

I hope not!  I watched his video before I got my Monster so I’m probably just paranoid.  Was hoping someone else with a Monster V3 would tell me minor vibration at idle is normal. Thanks

Vibration can be the board not sitting firmly in the shell and moving slightly against it.

Make sure the board and heatsink each are absolutely firmly in place. Just check that all respective screws are tight (but don't overtighten). Also make sure the "big" screws holding the plastic shell on the metal pedal hangers are tight so the shell doesn't slightly move against them. The board is behind the right side panel and the "big" screws are behind the side panels, too.

The idea is: if the board moves against the motor/pedal bracket/pedal assembly (either because the board is loose in the shell or the shell is loose on the motor), that makes the board move and therefore the wheel react even if it is standing still. That's where the vibration can come from.

(No comment about this happening with a factory new wheel...:facepalm: if the vibration doesn't go away after the easy step of checking some screws, contact your seller.)

Also please update your profile with the new wheel:)

Thanks for the input. At least I bought my wheel from EWheels so I know if I have any problems it will be taken care of!  I’m not ready to take the wheel apart at this point but will be paying close attention to any changes.  And I’ll take a look at my profile. 

thanks, cheers!

I recommend you do something. Either contact ewheels right away or open the right side panel and check the board is firm on the shell. Waiting to "see what happens" is a bad idea with EUCs and the problem won't go away on its own anyways, no matter how nice that would be.

I know dealing with a wheel issue is highly off-putting (especially with a brand new wheel!) and easy to delay and procrastinate over. But the sooner you go through this, the faster the good times start:) (and they're good)

• Like 1

it really depends where the vibration is coming from, could be a fan, could be a loose board, etc. 

A loose axle nut would result in a clunking noise when rocking back and forth with loose feeling mobility.

Sucks that it happened on a new wheel, but working on most aspects of the monster are reasonably easy (aside from axle shims). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:55 PM, Bri said:

I just received my new Monster V3 84 volt 2400Wh today and fully charged it. I went for my first ride and covered 50.5 miles. 15% battery on return and I was getting beeps for the last few miles.  I weigh 180 fully geared up. Was hoping for a few more miles but still happy with how it performed. I’m coming from a Kingsong 18L and the Monster is so smooth and quiet compared to my Kingsong.  

The only issue and question I have is when I returned home I noticed the wheel was vibrating slightly at idle and making light noise. The only thing I noticed on my ride was a slight vibration when stopped other than that it was silky smooth. Is this normal?

The other very minor issue I had was I pulled off the film covering the Gotway Monster sticker and pulled off a couple letters while doing so. I stuck them back on but I’m guessing all will come off shortly and I shouldn’t have removed the film covering. 

I get the same vibration on my Monster 84 volt 2400 wh, after i put on my trolly handle today you can really hear the vibration, mine wants to move very slow backward when propped up, even before i put the trolly handle on. Idk if it is normal, but at least im not the only one.

• Like 1

I have the 84 volt V3, when i took it at 20 or a little less I get around 80 to 90 miles probably a little more, when I do an average at 25 with it i get around 60 or 70 miles.  Ive noticed the noise when I first got it, but it works great, just feels like a lot of vibration from the motor, and now I notice it even more since I installed the trolly handle.

20 hours ago, Bri said:

Thanks Joe do you have the V3?  What kind of range are you seeing? 

So I notified EWheels today, and sent a video of the Monster doing the same thing you were saying, and they sent the Video to Gotway, ill let you know what there opinions are about it.

Same here, I have a lot of loyalty toward Jason and his team. They have great customer service and are very responsive with any issue you have with your product you purchase from them.

On 10/27/2019 at 7:46 PM, Bri said:

Nice thats why I will never buy another wheel from anyone else!  

I talked to Jason today, and sent him a video of my issue, he is thinking it might be a faulty control board.

1 hour ago, Bri said:

Interesting keep us posted. I had another experienced rider take a look at mine and he didn’t think mine was vibrating enough to cause worry. 

Mine was vibrating at idle and rolling backward, the only time it stopped rolling backward is when i calibrated to an extreme forward tilt.

• 6 months later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:13 PM, Ben Kim said:

it really depends where the vibration is coming from, could be a fan, could be a loose board, etc. 

A loose axle nut would result in a clunking noise when rocking back and forth with loose feeling mobility.

Below are real speeds (using pebble watch, Wheellog set at -6% speed correction, speed always matches speedometer on my commute). 

At +28mph/+45kmh I started to sometimes feel my Monster 100v v3 3108wh slightly rocking forth and back, not aggressively, but noticeably, however I can't hear any noise when that happens, I just slow down a small bit and it stops. 

I doubt it's due to lack of power at that speed with 70% battery under load (+90% under no-load) (I also have custom battery settings on Wheellog, 100.8v is 100%, instead of 100v).

So I'm wondering if that could be the start of developing the axle issue (but I don't notice any click when hard accelerating or braking yet). 

Something to note is that the 3108wh is back heavy. Also I've done 2000km on it already, usually at constant top speeds between 30-35mph (bus lane smooth wide road, cars still overtake me on another lane at 40mph/65kmh), never noticed this rocking before on the Monster. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks, Jean. 

On 10/24/2019 at 6:23 PM, Joe78 said:

I get the same vibration on my Monster 84 volt 2400 wh, after i put on my trolly handle today you can really hear the vibration, mine wants to move very slow backward when propped up, even before i put the trolly handle on. Idk if it is normal, but at least im not the only one.

yes, this is totally normal.. the monster is a very back heavy wheel.. as is not uncommon with gotway wheels they are often not balanced well and are front or back heavy.. OP you should post a video because its impossible to say without.. you may just be overly sensitive as if often the case when someone gets a new wheel especially of a different brand.. many people have been freaked by the low speed/idle gurgle that a lot of gotways make, as well as the obnoxious fans lol... and as for the stickers, they are garbage.. they were garbage on the nikola and they are garbage on the monster.. the clear film is not meant to stay on that is just how it is applied.. they will always fall off, better to just take them off now lol.. ewheels doesnt even ship the wheels with them xD

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2019 at 3:23, Joe78 said:

Obtengo la misma vibración en mi Monster 84 volt 2400 wh, después de que me puse el asa del trolly hoy realmente se puede escuchar la vibración, el mío quiere moverse muy lentamente hacia atrás cuando se apoya, incluso antes de poner el asa del trolly. Idk si es normal, pero al menos no soy el único.

Yo tengo la V3 3108wh y decir que estoy enamorado de ella.

He tenido varias Gotway y es normal en ellas que tengan a veces pequeñas vibraciones del motor(imanes).

Sobretodo si vienes de otras marcas Ninebot, inmotion, Kingsong que no tienen tanta vibracion del motor.

Que se desplace atrás es "normal" al tener 3 baterias y una queda fijada en la parte porterior del eje central; por eso el ligero movimiento hacia atrás; sobretodo al pararla suele caer hacia atrás.