Full face helmet: TSG Pass vs Shoei rf-1200

On 10/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, GMan said:

Just ordered the same helmet from a US skateboard shop. Looking forward to using it. Not DOT certified but I decided light weight was more important at the speeds I am going. Probably overkill for me but all the talk of face planting on this forum has gotten me a bit paranoid.

Been using it on my commute. Very light and comfortable and great visibility. The only negative is it’s more cumbersome than a regular bicycle helmet on the train. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 11:34 AM, greentung said:

Hey @photorph. The TSG Pass Pro Carbon runs small compared to the regular TSG Pass. I have a large Pass Pro and it fits me perfectly. My bike helmets are size medium. So if you can't find a medium Pass you should try out the the Pass Pro Carbon in large.

I gave the motorcycle helmet a try (Klim). But it is heavy, FOV is narrow, and feels constricted. DH helmet is the way to go.  

Greentung, thanks for the review of the TSG Pass Pro Carbon, especially the size. I heard the carbon runs smaller, since I was at the upper limit of the medium (58cm) I went with the large. I just ordered the same color you got. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cuba Gonzalez said:

Greentung, thanks for the review of the TSG Pass Pro Carbon, especially the size. I heard the carbon runs smaller, since I was at the upper limit of the medium (58cm) I went with the large. I just ordered the same color you got. 

Cool. You won't be disappointed. The TSG Pass Pro Carbon is my favorite EUC helmet. It is the best compromise to a heavy bulky full face motorcycle helmet. I use the TSG daily for my commute. I measured my head size at 58-59cm. The large fits perfectly. The full visor is great for riding in the wind. It is very quiet and comfortable with the visor down in the wind and rain. 

I added a Insta360x camera to the top and some reflector dots. I will eventually replace the D-ring strap with some kind of magnetic latch. Right now, I ride without strapping in. The helmet is a snug fit already. 

tsg_pass.thumb.jpg.d38aa6ea0728d6b3389fe8c6ac445659.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 8:15 AM, greentung said:

Cool. You won't be disappointed. The TSG Pass Pro Carbon is my favorite EUC helmet. It is the best compromise to a heavy bulky full face motorcycle helmet. I use the TSG daily for my commute. I measured my head size at 58-59cm. The large fits perfectly. The full visor is great for riding in the wind. It is very quiet and comfortable with the visor down in the wind and rain. 

I added a Insta360x camera to the top and some reflector dots. I will eventually replace the D-ring strap with some kind of magnetic latch. Right now, I ride without strapping in. The helmet is a snug fit already. 

tsg_pass.thumb.jpg.d38aa6ea0728d6b3389fe8c6ac445659.jpg

I am wondering if you ever post your video on youtube? I just want to see how the 360 camera's view when it's on top of your helmet without extension arm. if so can you provide a link? thanks

@newbie101. I do have a few videos of my ride with the 360 camera. But it is not posted on YouTube. I've taken a few screenshots from a ride with the 360 mounted on the helmet. The setup works great and doesn't look too weird since it is just a few inches above the helmet. Someone at a coffee shop did mention that at a distance it looked like I got knife handle plunged on top of my helmet. 

Snapshot_201712365_171200.thumb.JPG.7d0f2d3c012c1d4e1b753165bb508bd3.JPG

This is the normal level view when rotated to the back. 

1744644232_Snapshot_201712365_1712002.thumb.JPG.615cce0a9b11f8a8c01536d4360ca0a6.JPG

This view is pointed directly down. I am carry returned box. 1014102655_Snapshot_201712365_1712004.thumb.JPG.1e432fde667d578526903d3aa35ba462.JPG

This is front view. You can't even see the helmet. 

Edited by greentung

• 4 months later...

I have the TSG Pass. It’s great. Though...

I find myself traveling home in the evenings during my westward commute with one hand raised to shade my eyes. I’m actually thinking of putting electrical tape on the inside of the visor so that I can give my hand a break.

My other main use for my wheel is shopping. The trouble with a full face helmet is that I can’t ride home while snacking on that chocky bar I bought in the impulse aisle. I’m married to a dietitian, so that means lurking outside the door after I get home, finishing my sinful treat before making my appearance :(

I’ve looked into flip up helmets but they seem to be only available in motorcycle helmets. I’m not sure it is worth riding around carrying an extra 500g on my head just so I can scoff a sneaky snack on the go.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Why are the sizes so small on the TSG and the Predator DH helmet?
I am looking at the  TSG and the Predator, but I find it infuriating that the sizes are so small. I usually use size 64 in helmets, but none of these helmets go over 59-61, why is that? Are these low-ball numbers or are they simply not made for people with grown-up heads? (Read BIG heads)