Full face helmet: TSG Pass vs Shoei rf-1200

Looks like I'll be riding a bit longer than expected this wet season 💦. And the Nikola 💥, has delayed all the fun videos I was planning on shooting :(

With that said, I'm looking into full face helmets. Main reasons:

• rain: it stings getting hit by nigh freezing 30+ mph raindrops
  • wind noise: need something quiet for setting up a lav mic.

With that said, I've narrowed it down to the Shoei rf-1200 and the TSG Pass.

For those that have tried both - is there anything you *don't* like about the TSG pass? What are its quirks?

NJjvFYw.jpgdnrlOKh.jpg

Edited by chrisjunlee

@Stephen. I placed an order for the Steelbird air 2. It ships from India. I don't think it has MIPS or any kind of rotational impact technology. But $85 is a good deal. 

I really thought long and hard about the TSG Pass Carbon. But it's really hard to get one. Has to ship from the UK. 

Edited by greentung

6 hours ago, greentung said:

I don't think it has MIPS or any kind of rotational impact technology. But $85 is a good deal

You'll be surprised at the quality my head feels safe its padding is top class👍🏻

What colour did you get there's so many options

6 hours ago, stephen said:

You'll be surprised at the quality my head feels safe its padding is top class👍🏻

What colour did you get there's so many options

I got the white helmet for visibility. Too bad they don't make a wood grain color to match my wheels. 

• Like 1

I have two TSG Pass helmets and tried motorcycle helmets similar to the Shoei. I can already tell you that the TSG pass has the best peripheral vision of any helmet, and that the Shoei you’re thinking about has garbage peripheral vision much like most moto helmets. Peripheral vision is extremely important especially if you want a helmet that blocks out sound. 

With the warning beeps that you WANT to hear on your wheel I don’t think you want to filter that much sound out as the Shoei will filter out. The TSG pass mutes the world a bit but I can still hear my Nikola beeping. 

Weight is important too. The TSG is 1.5 pounds lighter than the Shoei. That’s significant. Neck fatigue is real. 

The Shoei is overkill for EUC riding. 

• Like 3

hey @chrisjunlee I actually just decided on the TSG Pass myself and am going to head by Motion Boardshop tomorrow at lunch to buy it. Just called them and they have the last Large in stock currently on hold for me. :D

They do have a couple of mediums they said.

I tried doing the googles or wider glasses on my Fox Proframe but just wasnt cutting this morning haha.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, prasket said:

hey @chrisjunlee I actually just decided on the TSG Pass myself and am going to head by Motion Boardshop tomorrow at lunch to buy it. Just called them and they have the last Large in stock currently on hold for me. :D

I tried doing the googles or wider glasses on my Fox Proframe but just wasnt cutting this morning haha.

If you need a few tips on whst not to do with TSG Pass to avoid scatches on the visor let me know.... Can get to be a long post....

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, prasket said:

Nice! I dropped by their store weeks ago to try them out. 

I decided to go with a weebed out rf-1200 - things are just better thought out on a moto helmet.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

Peripheral vision is extremely important especially if you want a helmet that blocks out sound. 

Track school drilled us to look with our heads, not with our eyes - I don't mind the loss in peripheral since I go full swivel head. I know it sounds crazy :)

On 10/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

Weight is important too. The TSG is 1.5 pounds lighter than the Shoei. That’s significant. Neck fatigue is real. 

That's the only part that appeals to me about the TSG. Everything else, moto helmet is superior:

• pinlock: the best fog free system by a long shot
  • tool less visor swap outs: literally 100x faster, and can be done without even taking off your helmet
  • replacement parts: cheaper and more available
  • way more after market accessories
  • quieter: mainly picked it up so I can provide clear commentary while cornering at 40 on the Nikola 💥

And for the safety minded: I wouldn't really trust the TSG to handle getting hit by a car at 60 mph. Personally, I don't really care about that, and would take the thinner foam any day.

Edited by chrisjunlee

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

And for the safety minded: I wouldn't really trust the TSG to handle getting hit by a car at 60 mph. 

Woah where are you riding that you are worrying about cars at 60 Mph? :) 

For me it has the same DH certs as my Proframe and I rarely go over 25 or on busy streets. 

However if I did ride on the road more and longer distances I do think I would go for a motorbike vs dh helmet. :) 

4 hours ago, prasket said:

Would love them in a thread or PM  :) 

I will give the thread some though to a catch title :P and make a post about it. It seems that this helmet keep coming up from time to time. So your idea might be a good thing to do for others looking into this helmet. I have a feeling this will be a long post be the end of the week end I have posted something. get your :popcorn:ready :D

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 2:21 AM, greentung said:

@Stephen. I placed an order for the Steelbird air 2. It ships from India. I don't think it has MIPS or any kind of rotational impact technology. But $85 is a good deal. 

I really thought long and hard about the TSG Pass Carbon. But it's really hard to get one. Has to ship from the UK. 

Have you received your steebird yet?😁

7 hours ago, stephen said:

Have you received your steebird yet?😁

I received the SteelBird night version. It looks futuristic.

Unfortunately, it's quite painful to get the Steelbird on over the ears. The paddings inside is pretty loose and basic. I made sure to size up. It's not worth the hassle to return to India.

I should be receiving the TSG Pass Carbon from Germany next week for comparison. I'll keep the Steelbird as a backup helmet or for dress up as The Last Starfighter. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, greentung said:

Unfortunately, it's quite painful to get the Steelbird on over the ears. The paddings inside is pretty loose and basic. I made sure to size up. It's not worth the hassle to return to India.

I should be receiving the TSG Pass Carbon from Germany next week for comparison. I'll keep the Steelbird as a backup helmet or for dress up as The Last Starfighter. 

Have you got a pic of it😁 .i find mine ok once it's on ,i like the snug fit

36 minutes ago, greentung said:

Told ya not to trust Indian goods :) 

Join the weeb masterrace with me:

image.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, stephen said:

Have you got a pic of it😁 .i find mine ok once it's on ,i like the snug fit

I'll take a picture tonight. The Steelbird is fine once it's on and I slide my hand inside to readjust the paddings around the ears. Just a hassle for short rides where I am taking it on and off all the time. I mainly use a cruiser bike helmet or a Troy Lee Stage helmet. We'll see if the TSG Pass replace them. 

Edited by greentung
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Told ya not to trust Indian goods :) 

Join the weeb masterrace with me:

image.jpg

That looks like it was painted by the Jackson Pollock of manga artist. Hurts my eyes looking at it. But can't seem to look away.

TSG Pass Carbon update: 

I wore it on work commute this morning. The temperature was about 40 degree. The visor fogged a little but quickly cleared up once I got moving. It's very quiet with the visor down. I don't like wearing full face helmet. But this one is light, comfortable, and has excellent field of view. I would wear this daily.

I mounted an Insta360 X on the top. I find fellow trail riders (aka militant bikers) are less aggressive if they know they are being recorded. 

tsg_5.thumb.jpg.671685248c661387a3ab368afa2fffdd.jpg

11 minutes ago, greentung said:

TSG Pass Carbon update: 

I wore it on work commute this morning. The temperature was about 40 degree. The visor fogged a little but quickly cleared up once I got moving. It's very quiet with the visor down. I don't like wearing full face helmet. But this one is light, comfortable, and has excellent field of view. I would wear this daily.

I mounted an Insta360 X on the top. I find fellow trail riders (aka militant bikers) are less aggressive if they know they are being recorded. 

tsg_5.thumb.jpg.671685248c661387a3ab368afa2fffdd.jpg

If it fogs up for you in either very warm or cold temperatures, the simple trick is to open the visor just a tiny bit. Once you are riding with 20kmh+ the ventilation should clear fogging with visor closed. 

In dense traffic having a few cm open visor let's more traffic sounds in too. If that help to keep you alert of your surroundings. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the same helmet from a US skateboard shop. Looking forward to using it. Not DOT certified but I decided light weight was more important at the speeds I am going. Probably overkill for me but all the talk of face planting on this forum has gotten me a bit paranoid.