MCM5 sudden acceleration/cut out at 23 or 24 mph

maltocs

Ouch! Great job on the perfect California roll! Most of us were not so lucky when that 'oh crap' moment happened..

The first thing comes to my mind was maybe because of battery degradation or unbalance battery? My second thought was maybe because you used to 100v Nikola power?

P.s. Sorry for off topic but I'm curious about you getting kicked out of Griffith Park.. Did the park ranger kicked you out? What the reason? On which road trail?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Everyone needs to ride a little more conservatively for each of the wheels that they ride. And personally, I like to remind myself of the dictum that speed kills (not literally for us, fortunately), and thus I'm just going to stick with ~25-mph max regardless of how fast my wheel can go.

I don't know much about the msm5 but i agree with you about the riding safe speeds, i also try keep in the safe speeds but sometimes go above that safe zone but it doesn't last long but I'm still not at the maximum ,i don't think I'd ever ride a tilt back on any top performer wheel , keep safe have fun ,i do like to push my wheel but that's on a track to see what it can do safley then I'm feel more confident when out and about 👍

2 hours ago, maltocs said:

Someone was watching over me as even I was wearing shorts, a T-Shirt, and no protective pads or Helmet and did perfect roll fall. I have very minor scrapes on my hands, my elbow looks like pizza, and there is a little road rash on my shoulder. I KNOW, NOT WEARING PROTECTION IS STUPID. I USUALLY DO.

Glad you rolled the fall out reasonably good 👍 I'm sure you'll remember protection next time or be more conservative on speed

Take care guys

• Like 3

Hello,

Glad you made it out of this fall in one piece !

Like @Marty Backe said, I also think there was nothing wrong with your MCM5. I guess you either didn't have time to or didn't hear the 80% alarm beeps at all. I think on gotways because the tilt back can only be set a a specific speed, it is not a good idea to trust in with your life, because if you set it at 23mph, it'll be good for the first 30% battery, then the limit motor power output speed might be close or under that tilt back speed.

Also as many EUC riders said, the tilt back demands power to lift your pedals so it can also be dangerous in some rare situations.
I rode my MCM5 to 26.8mph full battery and perfect conditions (flat road, nobody around, 20°C T°..), while being very cautious and immediatly decelerating when hearing the beeps. For my weight the safe speed is the speed where I don't hear the beeping, but mostly under 20mph, max 22mph up to 50% battery.
I agree with you @maltocs that the MCM5 is a great EUC, love it too, plus now it's full black in its newer versions !

All EUCs have their limits, on more powerful EUCs it's just a higher limite.

• Like 3

It took a while for me to understand the MCM5, over leaning from a slight roll would trigger the alarm, due to the small 14 inch diameter. I gradually realised that to accelerate, I had to apply the power gently at the start, and in a way that was very different to the other wheels. The MCM5 can literally accelerate to 25mph in 2 to 3 seconds from a roll, here is my video of it. 

I rarely hear the final alarm on mine. 

Edited by ED209
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I have to correct myself, there's no emergency speedup on Gotways. That must have been the 48kph tiltback still enabled back when I tested it. Just tried it again and the wheel just gets faster regularly, beeping futilely, till it switches off.

sorry, not really understanding. what do you mean by emergency speedup? you mean speeding up to tilt back?

37 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Love the mcm5. That chart from ewheels seems wrong. My third alarm comes on at 23.5 mph usually with a fairly full battery.. so that’s it ,I don’t go past 24mph. The beauty of this wheel is not top end speed, it’s about off the line acceleration , and cat like agility.  Glad you are ok Moltocs! 

Yeah, I don't buy that chart either based on my personal experience, which seems to match yours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maltocs said:

With everyone's advice, I did more tests. Turns out, IT WAS THE TILTBACK SETTING. It seemed to be turned ON to the max 36km/hr. I know I was accelerating during the fall, it probably tried to tilt me back by accelerating even more but because i was leaning forward with about 210lbs that day. Instead of tiltback,  all it did was accelerate to a cut out. I find this really disturbing and dangerous! 

On my new test on the stand (about 85% battery), I turned off tilt back. It functioned as it I thought it should. It can get all the way to 34mph with zero load and the beeps coming in at about 25mph.  25mph seems reasonable if zero load cutout is 34mph to be able to slow down manually. 

I suppose tiltback would work if i was accelerating up a hill or accelerating slowly on flats, but on a wheel that accelerates so fast, it would be inevitable that the wheel would try to tilt back and only end up doing another hard acceleration to cutout. From now on, i'm just going to leave the 2nd speed alarm on and turn tilt back OFF. Oh yeah, and again, WEAR MY PROTECTION. I would suggest for everyone else to turn off tilt back as well if you ever want to hear that 3rd alarm!

Thanks very much for everyone's input. 

image.thumb.png.979e79ecb59774c429e505a13bca6dec.png

btw, here are my injuries. and I already know, I got off really lucky.

Ouch. I'm still amazed that's all that happened at that speed. Luck was on your side for sure.

Guess you've confirmed some of our suspicions that it's best to leave tilt-back off unless you have it set to a much lower value. Don't depend on it at the higher end of the speed envelop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

sorry, not really understanding. what do you mean by emergency speedup? you mean speeding up to tilt back?

Never mind. I thought the behavior shown in your video would also happen with tiltback disabled, as the wheel would rapidly spin up above a certain speed. But that isn't the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Ouch. I'm still amazed that's all that happened at that speed. Luck was on your side for sure.

Guess you've confirmed some of our suspicions that it's best to leave tilt-back off unless you have it set to a much lower value. Don't depend on it at the higher end of the speed envelop.

I think I naturally fall to my strong side, my right side, and I naturally want to roll. I had two other falls early in my EUC days, last summer, where I pretty much did the same. I don't remember any of the actual falls, it always happens so quick. I just look at my pads, injuries, and holes in my shirt to realize what happened. Maybe all those years of red man training actually did me some good. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Could you post a screenshot of the beep and tiltback settings to use on MCM5? 

hard to post a screen shot since setting it is only an INPUT and you only get a confirmation with a beep, so the screen shot won't show the actual settings. But just watch that last video, I actually set the alarms and tilt back. On the alarms part, i'm  going to push OPEN ALARMS, then TURN OFF FIRST ALARM (leaving the 2nd one on). The difference should be the 2nd alarm will come even before the 3rd "80% Cut off warning alarm" giving me more of a buffer. 

• Like 1

On the wheellog output file spreadsheet my MCM5 peaks at over 7000w (7kw), definitely enough power.

On the alarms, is it best to set in wheellog or the gotway app , are the settings stored in the wheel or would they change to whats in the wheellog app.