My cyclist friend

Mike Sellmeyer

Ive met them down in Toronto. The worst people. It sucks because i used to be a younger, but lycra clad cyclist, and had i seen an EUC on a trail id try to catch them just to ask what it was about, because id be sold immediately, lmao. Myself and a friend from our crew out here went on a 60km tour. We stuck in the front with the crazy fast cyclists and endured the elements together. It was fast and fun and they respected us and we respected them. They were super nice to us and we made a lot of jokes and complimented them on their skill. I think if they ever see us around, they'll be happy to greet us or even chat. I think its just those high adrenaline junkie morons who think they own anything paved or unpaved that go nuts. But a lot of riders are super cool. 

• Like 1

Gain some weight, lol. In my travels cyclist usually don't have much criticism for a 270lb EUC rider... 

I am a polite rider, but I have run across a few people who I could tell wanted to give me earful.

I mentioned this in another thread, but bear in mind that these guys aren't pissy at just EUCs.  They're pissy at pedestrians.  You know, the people they're supposed to be yielding to?  There've been incidents in Seattle where pedestrians were killed by bicyclists going 40mph on multi-use trails.  Zero regard for other life on any other form of transport.  I think Lycra was originally designed in a lab as a bizarre indicator of sociopathic behavior.

Edited by leadfeathers

2 hours ago, leadfeathers said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but bear in mind that these guys aren't pissy at just EUCs.  They're pissy at pedestrians.  You know, the people they're supposed to be yielding to?  There've been incidents in Seattle where pedestrians were killed by bicyclists going 40mph on multi-use trails.  Zero regard for other life on any other form of transport.  I think Lycra was originally designed in a lab as a bizarre indicator of sociopathic behavior.

I wasn't able to find a single incident of a bicyclist killing a pedestrian in Seattle, although I did find two in NYC.

On the other hand, I found several scores of pedestrians and bicyclists killed by drivers each year.

Perhaps it's not Lycra but the automobile that allows monsters to hit and kill people.

1 hour ago, who_the said:

A bicyclist killed a pedestrian in San Francisco in 2012 and became the first to be convicted of manslaughter. Years later, he still blames just about everybody else except himself.

https://sfbay.ca/2018/08/01/bicyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-circles-back-on-deadly-crash/

Not quite the menace to public safety if you and I had to reach back in time to find a few examples of errant bicyclists who killed pedestrians.

On the other hand, over a million people per year get killed by drivers. It seems to me that while MALM's may be annoying, the same MALM, along with the careless MILF driver texting, is a far far greater threat.

The person who kills you while you're riding an EUC will be a driver texting while driving. That is, by far, the greatest danger to you.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

Unless you are endangering someone needlessly I don't understand the temptation to lecture a stranger. These know it all busy bodies need to shut the hell up.

Carry a water bottle and get ready to spray the dude back next time he sprays you. Otherwise be polite and kind to everyone.

I'm a cyclist more than I am an euc rider, and I've only gotten mad at cars that don't look where they are going. The kind that like to take risks to save 1 second. The kind that can only see where their own nose ends and no farther. The kind that endangers me just to get past only to have to stop at a red light 5 seconds later.

These people are the scum of the earth.

• Like 2

@LanghamP  Elderly Renton Woman Hit By Bike Rider On Cedar River Trail Dies From Injuries

Also there are several San Francisco articles citing that the use of the Strava app among bicyclists as the reason for reckless speeding.

And you're right, the number of pedestrians killed by drivers is far higher, but we as EUC riders typically (are supposed to) ride on sidewalks and trails, not in the main road.  Thus, bicyclists would be the greater relative threat imo.

Edited by leadfeathers

On 10/5/2019 at 2:49 PM, leadfeathers said:

anghamP  Elderly Renton Woman Hit By Bike Rider On Cedar River Trail Dies From Injuries

Also there are several San Francisco articles citing that the use of the Strava app among bicyclists as the reason for reckless speeding

That woman was killed in 2010. Almost a decade ago. Pedestrians being killed by bicyclists is rare, and with an EUC I think just one.

Reading the article, I wonder if this is an ironic case of safety, that is, according to accounts (but not photographic evidence) she stepped left into the trajectory of the bicyclist when they called out "on your left". I've noticed this happens frequently, enough that I simply don't call out when passing pedestrians.

While passing a pedestrian, you should never be moving fast enough to kill someone, even if they purposely jump out in front of you.  When I'm biking, I slow down when passing pedestrians, slow enough that I'm barely overtaking them.  It's not that hard.

Yes, I have a beef with fast riding cyclists.  It's because I've nearly been hit by them, 3 out of the last 6 times I biked casually along one of the most popular multi-use trails in Washington State.  Cyclists hauling ass 25 mph over the speed limit.  Lol there's even freaking pedestrian lobbying group that formed to address this kind of frequent behavior.  It's unreal.

Car statistics may have higher pedestrian deaths, but at least there's some semblance of enforcement on roads.  Nothing for trails.  There are little kids walking on these trails with their parents.  It's dangerous.

Not every lycra cyclist is an asshole.  But every asshole I've encountered on a trail has been a lycra cyclist.

• Like 3

I've spent much more time as a cyclist here in Seattle. Reflecting on every encounter I've had with an entitled cyclist or car-driving twat, "I looooove you!!!" is the response I wish I had given.

I think I'm going to try that next time.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 7:22 PM, who_the said:

A bicyclist killed a pedestrian in San Francisco in 2012 and became the first to be convicted of manslaughter. Years later, he still blames just about everybody else except himself.

https://sfbay.ca/2018/08/01/bicyclist-who-killed-pedestrian-circles-back-on-deadly-crash/

I just read that story. Wow, that guy's a piece of work!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leadfeathers said:

While passing a pedestrian, you should never be moving fast enough to kill someone, even if they purposely jump out in front of you.  When I'm biking, I slow down when passing pedestrians, slow enough that I'm barely overtaking them.  It's not that hard.

Yes, I have a beef with fast riding cyclists.  It's because I've nearly been hit by them, 3 out of the last 6 times I biked casually along one of the most popular multi-use trails in Washington State.  Cyclists hauling ass 25 mph over the speed limit.  Lol there's even freaking pedestrian lobbying group that formed to address this kind of frequent behavior.  It's unreal.

Car statistics may have higher pedestrian deaths, but at least there's some semblance of enforcement on roads.  Nothing for trails.  There are little kids walking on these trails with their parents.  It's dangerous.

Not every lycra cyclist is an asshole.  But every asshole I've encountered on a trail has been a lycra cyclist.

WARNING: Below is a controversial post from me. It's mostly my own thoughts about traffic safety. Get ready to disagree.

Can the cyclists ride in the car lanes where you live?

If not then the nanny state has kind of dug its own hole there. I hate to be blunt about it.

In China where I live roads are quite wide, even "trails". It helps so that there is some dispersion between speeds. A faster vehicle has space to pass on the left. Pedestrians stay right. People see different kinds of vehicles daily so they learn (slowly but surely) to watch for unexpected things. 

You know those videos on youtube of a pedestrian crossing an insanely busy street in asia without incident by just walking out. It's the power of life long practice of expecting the unexpected. Everyone adjusts without any drama. Their brains are processing busy environments very relaxed. This is something not developed in super safe countries (like the one I grew up in).

What's stupid here in China is the inexperience of car drivers and the ridiculous amount of cell phone use in the driving seat. It's too easy to get a license. People copy others without thinking. Sheep mentality.

Yes if the roads are narrow you have to slow down. Cyclists are exposed too and don't want to be injured.

If you isolate traffic sure you avoid some accidents but you take away a reason to be careful. Cars are not the only things out there harmful to people. Better teach the kids that on narrow roads you need to be extra careful.

It's best if we accept that the future is going to contain new types of vehicles traveling at different speeds and try to accomodate without isolation (apart from sidewalks) by widening roads for example, mixing traffic with big warning signs where roads are already narrow, push for slow right, fast left.

Don't assume a trail being safe for kids to run around unattended. 

Slow incremental exposure to more and more traffic is a valuable lesson in life. 

"Close calls" are educational. We should allow for some exposure to close calls, and be understanding to the other party.

Laws are not going to keep interesting useful inventions from entering our environment. You can stop one temporarily but you can't stop a trend. If it wants to come it will come sooner or later.

• Like 1