Carrying your wheel

Chuts

Anyone recommend an easy way or product to carry your unicycle especially if you need to go into a large store / shopping area?  My unicycle weighs 13.4kg and that pretty heavy to lug around with you.  For the moment I use the learning belt as a make-shift shoulder strap but feels rather clumsy and impeeds my walking and digs into my skin.

Today I packed my unicycle in a camping backpack and secured it so that it wouldn't fall out/off.  After about 30 minutes of walking around it was a killer on upper back and shoulders.  Don't know if it was because it is not an official unicycle backpack but I have gone off the idea of carrying it this way. 

In my journey around the shops I did see something that I need to look into further.  It is a backpack that you can wear as normal however it has an extendable handle in the middle of the back and wheels at the bottom.  Thats right it doubles as a trolly.  The reason why I need to look into it further and didn't buy the one I saw was because the zipper down the sides stopped at mid point and the bottom half of backpack was hard so this would mean the unicycle wouldn't actually be resting at the bottom.  It didn't have any of those plastic clip fasteners either so wouldn't hold the unicycle in place.

• 1 month later...

I actually bought a trolly handle for my wheel just to see what it would be like, as I was oppose to the idea earlier but so far it is the best solution.  Really good too when cycle lanes become really busy on Saturday and Sundays here in Hong Kong as everyone and their dog goes cycling on the weekend.  When you need to hop off for a few moments because the cycle lane is so congested especially right next to bicycle hire shops.

The trolly handle works quite well too when the EU is turned off.  One of my main worries about having to keep the unit on even when spending 30+ minutes in a shopping area.  I would highly recommend this method, be aware though if you are going to go down this route that you check to see if your EU is compatible because a lot of EUs don't allow for it because of the shell design.

Archived