Jump to content
seage

So my Fan sounds like this now

Recommended Posts

My fan has been screaming for a while. I tried not to pay attention to it but lately, its just getting louder, it seems like. 
Today i recorded the sound because its quite annoying. Do you guys think its just a loose bearing or something? It went away after a nice bounce the first time it did this, but came back after the wheel took a few bumps on an offroad ride. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a defective fan to me. Unfortunately the KingSong fans are really integrated into the control board. I don't know if you can easily replace just the fan. Maybe you can?

The first step will be to open the wheel and inspect the situation. It's pretty easy to access the control board area without having to disconnect any wires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like a defective fan to me. Unfortunately the KingSong fans are really integrated into the control board. I don't know if you can easily replace just the fan. Maybe you can?

The first step will be to open the wheel and inspect the situation. It's pretty easy to access the control board area without having to disconnect any wires.

Sucks. I was just in there and i didnt see the fan while i was working on it. Should have taken a look then. Was told by @The Fat Unicyclist where to find the fan. Underneath the capacitors, which sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The fan, as loud as it is, is still working. It keeps the motherboard cool. Its never gotten close to overheating, even on our hottest days. But it really sucks, haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really hard to tell from the sound, but it could be a wire intruding into the fan area... If you are really lucky, a careful investigation may identify that for you.

I suppose really you need to remove the covers and then fire the wheel up and see what you can see. That sounds like an awesome wet-weekend acrivity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, seage said:

My fan has been screaming for a while. I tried not to pay attention to it but lately, its just getting louder, it seems like. 
Today i recorded the sound because its quite annoying. Do you guys think its just a loose bearing or something? It went away after a nice bounce the first time it did this, but came back after the wheel took a few bumps on an offroad ride. 

 

My fan also started to be loud as yours several months ago due to extreme offroad. Or maybe it fell down the hill and crashed against some tree ... Nothing relevant. I did 1000 km after that, sometimes it sounds louder, sometimes the volume is normal. The motherboard temperature is always low or moderate. No problem ... Do not worry about! We have a really strong EUC.

Welcome to the club. A few users reported the same symptom in other threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

It's really hard to tell from the sound, but it could be a wire intruding into the fan area... If you are really lucky, a careful investigation may identify that for you.

I suppose really you need to remove the covers and then fire the wheel up and see what you can see. That sounds like an awesome wet-weekend acrivity!

Next time i get in there, i'll take a look. Screwing the side panels into the white case is like doing fine dentistry with power tools. Its SO HARD. Need a clamp, 2 people, a priest. So im taking my time, although I do need to loosen the screws for the lift sensor so it actually works 100% of the time. As i tightened it all the way like a dunce and it doesnt always engage, lmao. 

But yeah, ready to get wet and wild with this wheel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

My fan also started to be loud as yours several months ago due to extreme offroad. Or maybe it fell down the hill and crashed against some tree ... Nothing relevant. I did 1000 km after that, sometimes it sounds louder, sometimes the volume is normal. The motherboard temperature is always low or moderate. No problem ... Do not worry about! We have a really strong EUC.

Welcome to the club. A few users reported the same symptom in other threads.

Haha, glad to be part of it! 

Actually i am happy that i'm not alone in it. Nothing more alarming than your wheel acting weird, since any failures and you're on your face. XD. And its funny that its the same thing that got us. Offroading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 3:46 AM, seage said:

My fan has been screaming for a while. I tried not to pay attention to it but lately, its just getting louder, it seems like. 
Today i recorded the sound because its quite annoying. Do you guys think its just a loose bearing or something? It went away after a nice bounce the first time it did this, but came back after the wheel took a few bumps on an offroad ride. 

 

My wheel sounds similarly. Keep me posted!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @The Fat Unicyclist. It sounds like something hitting the fan blade, or the saft is bend and coliding case with fan. I hope you solve the problem fast.

Edited by Fer9001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vote fan bearing (failed fan).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:41 PM, seage said:

Screwing the side panels into the white case is like doing fine dentistry with power tools.

Ah, so there's a thing... I only use old-school / manual / hand tools on all EUC models! It gives you a feel for when the screws are tight enough, without worrying about stripping a thread.

And it really builds up your wrist strength!   ;)   Which makes you less likely to damage them in a fall, of course. What did you think I meant?   :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Ah, so there's a thing... I only use old-school / manual / hand tools on all EUC models! It gives you a feel for when the screws are tight enough, without worrying about stripping a thread.

And it really builds up your wrist strength!   ;)   Which makes you less likely to damage them in a fall, of course. What did you think I meant?   :facepalm:

Oh, no i meant quite literally doing the dentistry with power tools, since its bulky and hard to handle, lmao. I use a screwdriver and my tired early 30's, not even midlife, complaining wrists to unscrew it too! But i needed help to get it back on. Its a bit of a fight! haha. 

8 hours ago, Fer9001 said:

I agree with @The Fat Unicyclist. It sounds like something hitting the fan blade, or the saft is bend and coliding case with fan. I hope you solve the problem fast.

 

7 hours ago, xorbe said:

I vote fan bearing (failed fan).

I'll keep you guys posted when i do get in there. Its getting cooler here, so the fan is coming on less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...