Freewheeler

Layover details updated 9-25

Sunday September 29th at 8 am

Meet up at El Dorado Basketball
2760 E Barrios St, Long Beach

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZqJzDoKzGmJyYyFq9

We will be departing at 8:30 sharp

Route:

Roll down to Seal Beach, through Surfside, Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach and Newport Beach to Balboa Peninsula. The Fun Zone on Balboa Peninsula is the charging opportunity. Plenty of photo opps and cruising to be done. Charge up, drink up, act up. 

Time:  2:00+/-    Miles: 29+/- 

Layover: Approximately 60-90 minutes

After lunch we'll take the Balboa Ferry ($1) to Balboa Island and cruise over to Corona Del Mar then back to Balboa, through Newport Beach and then on back to Long Beach

Time:  2:00+/-    Miles: 29+/-

This is a massive beach ride that includes major portions of the OC Beach Cities Trail Ride. It should be an absolute blast.

There is a short stretch on PCH that I mapped at 1.6 mi. This bike lane along this stretch is just about as wide as a car lane. I've ridden it four times and I feel okay about it but still, I want everyone to know about it.

@1Wheeler @3euc 

@Alsayyad @Ando Melkonyan @Austin 

@Ben Richards @BlackOutEX @Blueman 

@captainwells @Chairman S 

@Dave Frear @Dave U @downtown @Dzlchef 

@enigma35

@Ferreal @Flyboy10 @Flying W @Freewheeler

@Gizmo Dork

@HeavyGoing @Heyzeus

@IRK 

@Jambo @John Wood @Jon Sawa @Josh Morgan @JomMas @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

@Kens @Kimosabi @kingkong18XL @Klin  @Kyle K

@M22 @maltocs @mango_fpv @Marty Backe @Marvin Ong @Mike Hanna @MikeV @Mushuukyou

@n2eus @NBC44  @ndmcc @Nick McCutcheon @NightRider @noisycarlos

@Peter Q 

@Rama Douglas @roghaj

@serfy @Shawn Johnson @Sketch @Stan Onymous @Sven @swvision

@Tanabe @TedTheAtheist @Terenig @tihoa @Tjtripp  @TomM 

@Unosolo @unowheel @UpDownGo

@Questor

@who_the @Williepimpin 

@Yellowman @Yunicyle @YoshiSkySun

@zentype

Edited by Freewheeler
Added layover location and details
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Sunday September 29th 

Meet up at El Dorado Park Basketball Courts

8:00 a.m. (departing at 8:30 sharp).

General path:

From El Dorado Park head south to Seal Beach. Roll through Surfside, Sunset Beach, Huntington Beach and Newport Beach to Balboa Peninsula. 

The Fun Zone on Balboa Peninsula is the first charging opportunity. Plenty of photo opps and cruising to be done. Charge up, drink up, act up. 

Time: +/- 120 mins  Miles+/- 22 Layover: appropriately 60 mins. 

Take the Balboa Ferry ($1) to Balboa Island and cruise over to Corona Del Mar then back through Newport Beach and Huntington Beach to Harry's Grill in Sunset Beach. 

Harry's will be a full stop for lunch (drinks upstairs). 

Time: +/- 120 mins  Miles: +/- 22 Layover: appropriately 90 mins

From Harry's we go back through Surfside, Seal Beach, Belmont Shore, Alimitos Beach and finally, Long Beach. After a little loop in Long Beach we'll head back along the beach toward Alimitos Bay to Ballast Point Brewery for our final pit stop. Then, a short ride back up to El Dorado Park. 

Time: +/- 120 mins  Miles: +/- 22 Layover: appropriately 60 mins

This is a massive beach ride that includes major portions of the OC Beach Cities Trail Ride. It should be an absolute blast.

There is a short stretch on PCH that I mapped at 1.6 mi. This bike lane along this stretch is just about as wide as a car lane. I've ridden it four times and I feel okay about it but still, I want everyone to know about it.

@1Wheeler @3euc 

@enigma35

@Gizmo Dork

@HeavyGoing @Heyzeus

@IRK 

@M22 @maltocs @mango_fpv @Marty Backe @Marvin Ong @Mike Hanna @MikeV @Mushuukyou

@Peter Q 

@Rama Douglas @roghaj

@Questor

@who_the @Williepimpin 

@zentype

I'm in!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave U said:

I'm in!

Sweet! :thumbup: 

It was great riding with you and Brian today.

Too bad he can't make it for this one. I even calculated it so that you guys could even skip Ballast Point and get back to your car by 5:30 if you wanted to. Anyway, it'll still be okay riding with you. :P. See ya Sunday!! 

Edited by Freewheeler
  • Like 1

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, there's just too many stops for me. I know, I know, but I'm a long distance guy. It's only been recent that I've been willing to break for a lunch, sometimes.

I'm more of a "let's ride for 50-miles" kind of guy :ph34r:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, there's just too many stops for me. I know, I know, but I'm a long distance guy. It's only been recent that I've been willing to break for a lunch, sometimes.

I'm more of a "let's ride for 50-miles" kind of guy :ph34r:

I am like you but the ‘physics’ prevent me from not breaking. Until I get a better wheel, I won’t be hardcore as you :)

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Yellowman said:

I think Brian can make it with a fast charger and the first 2 stops where he can recharge back.

He was going to take the KS18L, at his weight of 110 lbs he would of only probably just need 1 fast charge but its the actual time the ride will end that won't be possible for him. There will be other rides he could attend. Thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave U said:

Hmm :confused1:  I thought this ride was going to start at Long Beach? and head down to all the beaches we can reach in 30+ miles before returning back.

Yeah, I tried thinking of good, safe, free parking spaces in downtown LB and came up empty, primarily because I had little planning time. Yoshi's ride started at El Dorado and seemed like a good launching off point. Besides, I always wanted to do a pub roll. :cheers:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Freewheeler said:

Yeah, I tried thinking of good, safe, free parking spaces in downtown LB and came up empty, primarily because I had little planning time. Yoshi's ride started at El Dorado and seemed like a good launching off point. Besides, I always wanted to do a pub roll. :cheers:

Drake/Chavez Soccer Field Or Drake Park could of been a possibility? :whistling: , 1 mile away from Long Beach. Its all good. See you on Sunday :cheers:

Ok, so the park has a 4 hour limit for parking but there is parking alongside the park. I Googled it in Street View and I couldn't see any restrictions or meters. The ride would then be two legs of about 29 miles each. The first leg would look like this except we stop at Balboa Fun Zone for 90 minutes before continuing on to Corona Del Mar. We would then retrace our steps back to LB. 

Maybe we could get @Marty Backe on board by cutting two stopovers? :cry2:

What are your thoughts? @Dave U, @Yellowman, @YoshiSkySun, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

LB-CDM-09-29-19.thumb.png.ba59a0fc491942733786c6fd594d2c75.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

24 minutes ago, Freewheeler said:

Ok, so the park has a 4 hour limit for parking but there is parking alongside the park. I Googled it in Street View and I couldn't see any restrictions or meters. The ride would then be two legs of about 29 miles each. The first leg would look like this except we stop at Balboa Fun Zone for 90 minutes before continuing on to Corona Del Mar. We would then retrace our steps back to LB. 

What are your thoughts? @Dave U, @Yellowman, @YoshiSkySun, @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer"

LB-CDM-09-29-19.thumb.png.ba59a0fc491942733786c6fd594d2c75.png

This route looks much better, plus only one stop to do a fast charge if needed.  

@Marty Backe  only one stop now to relax and refuel :popcorn::eff00eab1e:, what do you think? :efef77eaf5: just do it! :facepalm:

• Like 2

Wish I could go on this one, but I'm riding a motorcycle in the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride to raise money and awareness for prostate cancer research and men's health issues. But my motorcycle is electric, so it will be like I'm riding two electric unicycles! I ride a Zero DSR electric motorcycle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YoshiSkySun said:

Count me in! :roflmao:

Woo hoo! :clap3:

4 hours ago, Kens said:

Is there any open outlets in The Fun Zone?

Absolutely. There are at least 7 I can think of in the courtyard seating area. And, I will be bird dogging more options at watering holes and restaurants tomorrow when I do my semi-weekly afternoon roll through that area.

I downloaded some particularly appropriate theme music just in case @Marty Backe comes in his full regalia and can tolerate 90 minutes of being stationary. :efee8319ab:   It would be a blast to roll behind him with these songs blaring! And @Dave U looks like a storm trooper, too! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Ok, I believe I found an excellent layover location today. Booze, brews, plugs and grub. A patio for vaping, charging, smoking, hoopin' and hollerin'.

Details up in the first post. Awesome reviews and great service. 

And just to make sure everyone knows about the new details.... I'll tag our people again. 

@1Wheeler @3euc 

@enigma35

@Gizmo Dork

@HeavyGoing @Heyzeus

@IRK 

@Peter Q 

@Rama Douglas @roghaj

@Questor

@who_the @Williepimpin 

@zentype

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 8:23 PM, Freewheeler said:

Meet up at Jenny Oropeza Community Center ~ 801 W 4th St, San Pedro, CA 90731 at 8:00 a.m.

So where are suppose to park? The near by park and one side of the street say 4 hour parking. The community center parking and the street adjacent say permit parking only. :confused1:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave U said:

So where are suppose to park? The near by park and one side of the street say 4 hour parking. The community center parking and the street adjacent say permit parking only. :confused1:

Street parking? I do a quick search for street parking rule on Long Beach and it did not give me anything. You just cannot do oil change on the street :efee612b4b:

17fo4ns.png

The area in the red marker seems safe enough to park until evening. No special marking except street sweeping on weekdays.

When you park please double check if there any sign and look it up. I think I wont be joining this one because it's too long for me. I will be busy for a few month until December maybe? :confused1:

Oh and @Freewheeler it seems like the address it wrong on the first page?

It should be this one: 401 Golden Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave U said:

I thought that at first, too but I looked closer and I saw that they require a permit only for vehicles over 85 inches high, 80 inches wide or 20 feet long... like trucks and RVs.

573516801_Screenshot_20190925-2116142.thumb.png.756e33d489b90f7616a29aca746eb68f.png

1 hour ago, Kens said:

Street parking? I do a quick search for street parking rule on Long Beach and it did not give me anything. You just cannot do oil change on the street :efee612b4b:

The area in the red marker seems safe enough to park until evening. No special marking except street sweeping on weekdays.

When you park please double check if there any sign and look it up. I think I wont be joining this one because it's too long for me. I will be busy for a few month until December maybe? :confused1:

Oh and @Freewheeler it seems like the address it wrong on the first page?

It should be this one: 401 Golden Ave, Long Beach, CA 90802

Thanks Kens. I edited that. Good catch. Hope to ride with you again soon!

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

Have fun guys! I'll be in the Bay area working...

Cheers, Rama. See you a soon!

• Like 2