Riding lessons good idea?

RetroThruster

Total newbie here.  I have a KS 16X in route to be delivered this week and I was told by a co-worker about an outfit locally that rents electric unicycles and has a 30 minute instruction/training course where they provide the wheel and gear, the cost is $40 but again, it's just 30 minutes.  I'm thinking that instead of possibly scratching up my shiny/new King Song, why not get some instruction and let them eat any potential damage from my lack of experience, good idea?  

I do have motorcycle and bicycle experience and a fair amount of trials motorcycle experience so I'm not totally new to wheels and I can ride a pretty good wheelie on a bicycle and motorcycle, don't know how much if any of this translates into e unicycles.  Anyways, glad to be here!!

• Like 2

I think it's a great idea.

But do bring your own wheel, too! Try both models. The main advantage of someone else helping you is that you can ride while holding on to the other guy. You learn extremely fast that way.

But you'll have to pad up your 16X anyways. The first ride outside is always the worst.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I have a feeling that you will be able to learn how to ride your EUC rather quickly. For most traditional (pedal) unicyclists there is no learning curve whatsoever (just hop on and go), or if there is a learning curve for some pedal unicyclists, it seems to be quite minimal (5 - 10 minutes). Being that you can wheelie on a bicycle and motorcycle, I think your learning curve will be similar to pedal unicyclists. The easiest way to avoid damaging your EUC is to just loop some rope through the handle that you can hold on to as a leash. If you fall off, just pull some tension on the rope to prevent your wheel from falling over. So I don't think the rental is really necessary, but if you've got $40 to blow and want to be extra cautious, it can't hurt... and you may meet some cool people at that facility. Best of luck to you either way. You'll soon be having lots of fun! 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, all great advice, I appreciate it!!  I'll definitely add the rope thru the handle, that's a great idea.  I went ahead and reserved a spot for tomorrow, $40 isn't cheap but half of me wants to maybe hook up with others in the area and I'm hoping that they might have some insight on group rides.  Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm not sure why I'm getting so worked up about learning to ride, after reading the comments above, I certainly feel better.  Thanks again and I'll let y'all know how the lesson goes:) 

• Like 1

No problem. It's great to support local businesses in the EUC community and, like you said, it's worth the $40 just to meet some like-minded people and find out about great places to ride... and hopefully make some new friends. Chattanooga is one of my favorite cities and truly does seem like a fantastic place for EUC riding. I got a bit worked up about learning how to ride, too, as have lots of others, so it's not uncommon. These things are really cool and fun to ride, so they stir up emotions. Having read lots of comments on this forum about how much of a learning curve there is (and somehow missed any comments mentioning that pedal unicyclists don't have much of a learning curve at all), I had a decent amount of concern about learning how to ride before I got started. All my concerns melted away the day my wheel arrived. I'm very much looking forward to hearing how your lesson goes, so I'll look out for your post. My bet is that you may experience some pain... your face will be hurting from smiling so much! Post some photos if you can.

• Like 1

Hey @RetroThruster, I'm currently in Huntsville and have ridden in Chattanooga a couple different times before seeing online that they had one of the only places in the country with EUC classes (so random). Been wondering if there's a decent community with group rides and stuff there, but so far haven't seen any evidence of it online. (It might all be through their organization though and not represented on the enthusiast forums.) You'll have to let us know if you discover anything about group rides and I'd consider making the trip more often.

(I'd also be happy to teach/help you for free in exchange for getting to try a 16X if you happen/have reason to come this direction.)

Edited by AtlasP

Just completed my 30 minute class, it went pretty well, the room they have you riding in is pretty small so you're constantly turning, which might be a good thing, it took about 15-20 minutes before I could ride without holding onto the rails mounted to the walls, I turn better left than right, that's for sure, I still have a lot to learn for sure, all I can say right now is these things area  blast!!  Was it worth $40, for me it was because I don't know anyone that rides, I think a buddy could teach me just fine but I'm glad I did the lessons.

AtlasP, I'll be watching for group rides around here and will shoot you a DM to see if it sounds like something you'd like to do, I can't imagine it being any better here than Huntsville but sometimes a change of scenery is good, I know they do rides at Enterprise South by the Volkswagon plant, it's a really big area and maintained well.  

Now, I gotta figure out how to work the King Song, I can't even turn it on, this is the part that causes me the most anxiety, I'm terrible at this stuff...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RetroThruster said:

Now, I gotta figure out how to work the King Song, I can't even turn it on, this is the part that causes me the most anxiety, I'm terrible at this stuff...

Important part about riding is not being afraid. That makes you tense, which in turn makes you ride bad and learn slower. Learning to relax is part of it.

You switch your wheel on by long-pressing the power button.

Pad your wheel up and wear at least some wrist guards, and get to some open space with nothing in the way and no reason to fear for you, the wheel, or other things. Then enjoy. You only get the learning experience once, but it's great fun:wub:

Man,  I just spent an hour riding around my yard, that is after I figured out how to unlock it, good grief this hobby you guys have is just the coolest thing ever, I can tell now that I'll be happy when this thing will unlock to higher speeds, don't know if that's a good thing or not, my yard is sort of bumpy and while mostly flat has some high and low spots that makes it entertaining, then I drop down on my neighbors gravel driveway and let her rip, I'll shut up now, but man, it's cool as anything I've experienced in my 49 yrs.  Oh, talk about a core workout, I go to the gym and stuff but damn, this thing will zap that core!!

About my motorcycle experience I mentioned earlier, I'm sure it helps but imo like andrew900 said, unicycles seem to be the closest in mechanics, I can't ride one but it makes sense now.

Atlas, I forgot about the Riverwalk, that would be killer, I'll def be there!!

• Like 3

You can sign up with " Adventure Sports Innovation"  for future rides. They are trying to get enough people together 

Places in Chattanooga to ride:

1) Chattanooga Riverwalk ( follows the Tennessee River from the Thrasher "Hixson" dam past Chattanooga to the base of Lookout Mountain. 

2) The Greenway (connects to the Riverwalk 2 miles south of the dam and heads towards Camp Jordan ) The word Greenway is misleading. It is largely a roller coaster  boardwalk through the trees following Chickamauga creek.

3) Battle field parkway 10-13 mile runners loop ( roads that cross through a Civil war park with many monuments)

4) Volkswagen bike trails paved and mountain bike ( isolated very hilly network of roads originally built to service munition bunkers)

5) Camp Jordan. small flat 3 mile circle with trail across the levy ( will soon connect to the Greenway ) paved path that circles convention center and recreation fields. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

You can sign up with " Adventure Sports Innovation"  for future rides. They are trying to get enough people together 

Places in Chattanooga to ride:

1) Chattanooga Riverwalk ( follows the Tennessee River from the Thrasher "Hixson" dam past Chattanooga to the base of Lookout Mountain. 

2) The Greenway (connects to the Riverwalk 2 miles south of the dam and heads towards Camp Jordan ) The word Greenway is misleading. It is largely a roller coaster  boardwalk through the trees following Chickamauga creek.

3) Battle field parkway 10-13 mile runners loop ( roads that cross through a Civil war park with many monuments)

4) Volkswagen bike trails paved and mountain bike ( isolated very hilly network of roads originally built to service munition bunkers)

5) Camp Jordan. small flat 3 mile circle with trail across the levy ( will soon connect to the Greenway ) paved path that circles convention center and recreation fields. 

Yeah, I took the course as stated above, well worth the $35, it was only a half hour but enough to get me going, I was riding around my yard that afternoon, I've been riding at a park down the road but I believe I'm now ready for some of the areas you mentioned, I'm baby stepping my way into it, at 49, I don't heal the way I used to, that and I had major shoulder surgery last December, don't want to screw that up.  Excited about the hobby, been looking for something new to do and this really fits the bill:)

• Like 1

49 ? That is close to the average age here. 50 is the new 30. 

After my wife learned to ride well enough to get around I brought her to the Soddy Big Gulf. 

https://outdoorchattanooga.com/mowbray-mountain/ 

It is a 1.25 mile flat dirt road that passes one of the Soddy Blue holes. It was an old railroad bed. So it is very flat. It is located under the 27  and HW 111 split. It is an easy ride. It was good to get her used to riding around people.

Beware of the thick gravel at the very end of the trail. The picture shows a drop off beside the trail. Most of the trail is not that bad. 

Shoulder surgery !!  When failing never put your arms out to stop your forward motion. Instead only use your arm to direct your landing. Below is a great video on that. 

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

49 ? That is close to the average age here. 50 is the new 30. 

After my wife learned to ride well enough to get around I brought her to the Soddy Big Gulf. 

https://outdoorchattanooga.com/mowbray-mountain/ 

It is a 1.25 mile flat dirt road that passes one of the Soddy Blue holes. It was an old railroad bed. So it is very flat. It is located under the 27  and HW 111 split. It is an easy ride. It was good to get her used to riding around people.

Beware of the thick gravel at the very end of the trail. The picture shows a drop off beside the trail. Most of the trail is not that bad. 

Shoulder surgery !!  When failing never put your arms out to stop your forward motion. Instead only use your arm to direct your landing. Below is a great video on that. 

Great video, I will try to keep that in the back of my mind, I have/had plastic anchors holding two rotators in and a bicep tendon repair, certainly don't want to go thru that again.  I've only fallen once in my yard and I tumbled a bit but did avoid banging my shoulder, didn't bother anything but it still lingers in my mind, good tips, I appreciate that!!

It's funny, that Big Soddy Gulf gravel road by the creek is about 2 miles from my house, I'm headed down to the ball fields nearby there today to ride in the parking lots.  I'd say we could ride together but right now, I'd bore you to death, maybe when I get my sea legs better, I'm glad to hear someone local is riding:)  I should edit my profile, I figured Chattanooga would be a good location indicator for me but I actually live in Soddy Daisy and carry mail for that Post Office.

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RetroThruster said:

It's funny, that Big Soddy Gulf gravel road by the creek is about 2 miles from my house, I'm headed down to the ball fields nearby there today to ride in the parking lots.  I'd say we could ride together but right now, I'd bore you to death, maybe when I get my sea legs better, I'm glad to hear someone local is riding:)

We are few around here. Maybe 10 or 15. I only know of 8 people and 5 of them are family and friends. The other three work at Adventure. 

I would not practice in paring lots too long open spaces can hold you back.  Doing figure eights around two things in a parking lot helps. (I used my van and the SDHS band trailer at the high school)  Keep in mind that your wheel could cave in the side of a car.  Learning to ride is something your lower brain learns and your thinking brain tends to screw up. Following a trail gives the lower brain a reason to turn and you just do it.  Thinking that you are going to turn and then turning does not work as well.  Have you learned that you can't turn right?  That is unless you are left handed then you can't turn left. It is just a mind game that you will learn to overcome. Don't overthink it. 

Note:  The River walk south of Walnut street bridge to the foot of Lockout MT is patrolled by the city, not the Park service. I think that we have taught them the laws on EUC's over the last two years but you might run into a new guy. You might want to keep a copy of State code on your phone. I have always been respectful and simply offered to show them my understanding of the law as stated by State code 55-53-105.  The UTC police are very aware of EUC's and are mostly just jealous of them. I had a  City police officer stop me on MLK that only said " I don't know what that thing is but the speed limit is 20 MPH in the bike lane. Slow it down!"  

6EBE2BAA-C084-4C77-B87E-02488D7F8C1C_zpsaezcw1oq.thumb.jpeg.4d253f0bb7bb56b0b6ab41d549554d55.jpeg

Thanks RockyTop, all great info, I also appreciate the State Code info, I'll definitely keep that with me.

Yeah, I started out again in that big parking lot and after riding a loop around my yard so much, I found that I needed borders or apexes to steer around so I scooted over to the walking track, I know, but no one was there so I rode 3 laps one direction and 3 the other, no falls all day so that's good.  I have been overthinking after you mention it, my last loop I just rode and didn't think so much it's starting to feel more natural, I'll try to remember that.  Thanks again for all the info!!

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 1

none of it translates.. you will absolutely drop your own wheel no matter how much training, but by far the worst of it is the initial learning stage so i would 100% be willing to pay that amount of money to damage someone elses wheel instead haha.. they are not cheap it would be cheaper in the long run, plus you can keep your wheel pretty

I'm willing to give FREE lessons locally, so one wants to learn haha.  I got my wife on one and she was doing decent after an hour...if I can teach my wife, I can teach ANYONE.  

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Yes, lessons are mentioned in the FAQ section.

https://adventuresportsinnovation.com/faqs/

• Private or semi-private lessons of Personal Transportation Devices such as mini-Segways, e-unicycles, and Hovershoes.
  • Rentals of a variety of Personal Transportation Devices such as scooters, mini-Segways, e-bikes for teens & adults to explore Chattanooga

4 hours ago, Tangn76 said:

Can somebody provide the name of this place in Chattanooga for lessons? A website and phone number would be great too.

Im over here near Hot Springs, NC(Asheville). Maybe closer to you than Chatt? I'd be willing to spend an afternoon showing you how to ride. Granted, you may decide my style is the exact opposite of your wants, but it is what it is. I have a couple wheels to use. Just figured I'd toss that out there. Fwiw, Retro rides lke a madman nowadays, so it seems the Chatt. lessons were a success for him up there...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Upvote 1