gotway tesla battery burning up

So the other day I started charging my gotway tesla like normal with the fast charger. The next day I turned it on and the unit started doing this tilting forward and tilting backwards as I'm standing next to it holding it up. I noticed it wasn't charged it was showing one bar, I then tried turning it off but it would not turn off so I had to lay it on its side and unplug the battery pack. well when I opened the side panel and I saw the battery had burned up but only a piece. I would love to insert the image but it's not letting me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eddie Hea said:

So the other day I started charging my gotway tesla like normal with the fast charger. The next day I turned it on and the unit started doing this tilting forward and tilting backwards as I'm standing next to it holding it up. I noticed it wasn't charged it was showing one bar, I then tried turning it off but it would not turn off so I had to lay it on its side and unplug the battery pack. well when I opened the side panel and I saw the battery had burned up but only a piece. I would love to insert the image but it's not letting me.

upload on flickr or instagram and link it here. 

also. not good :(

Really bad luck. It would be great to see a picture. You must upload your picture to a public picture hosting site (there are too many to list - Google it) and then insert the link here. That's what everyone does. As @EUC GUY suggests, Flickr offers free accounts.

1 hour ago, Eddie G. said:

20190921_184959

Really bad luck. Any kind of battery failure appears to be very rare from my experience. Fortunately EWheels will be able to get you a replace battery pack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EUC GUY said:

my guess is that a component on the BMS board blew. not the actual cell itself. :)

Agree. If the battery itself had caught fire, the whole pack would have gone up, and the fire dept. would have been involved...

yes both battery failed jason said 500 a piece for a replacement battery. I think this tesla will be sitting for a while I still have my msx and v10f. My msx is my main wheel for commuting to work anyways. But is there a way to repair the bms on this battery pack?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie G. said:

But is there a way to repair the bms on this battery pack?

You could replace the BMS. There are videos on how to build your own packs. You have to be careful though, as those batteries are live and have a lot of power. 

Edited by erk1024

18 minutes ago, Eddie G. said:

yes both battery failed jason said 500 a piece for a replacement battery.

That should definitely fall under warranty!! What else if not a crazy double failure of the exact same component in both battery packs counts as warranty-justified?!

Also this is the strangest wheel failure I've ever seen. Just for safety I'd replace the board, too. Looks to me like some external reason is responsible for the battery pack damages. That would have to be from the board, there's barely any other components.

47 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Agree. If the battery itself had caught fire, the whole pack would have gone up, and the fire dept. would have been involved...

Not necessarily. Even @YoshiSkySun's rough tumble over rocks into saltwater only had the damaged cells and (maybe?) some of their immediate neighbors go up. Some other cells directly next to them didn't ignite at all.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Just for safety I'd replace the board, too. Looks to me like some external reason is responsible for the battery pack damages.

This is a really good point. The odds of one BMS failing are small. The odds of two failing at the same time is close to zero. Probably there is some issue upstream of the battery packs that caused the problem. So I agree you want to replace the board, and take a good look a the wiring. 
OR
Send the whole thing back to Jason and let him sort it out under warranty.  ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eddie G. said:

yes both battery failed jason said 500 a piece for a replacement battery. I think this tesla will be sitting for a while I still have my msx and v10f. My msx is my main wheel for commuting to work anyways. But is there a way to repair the bms on this battery pack?

So this is an old, out of warranty wheel? That really sucks. I've never heard of such a failure.

At that cost I'd be buying a new wheel. Unfortunately replacement batteries are just too expensive.

Repairing batteries and/or BMS boards is certainly possible, but that's next-level work IMO. Something that I personally would not tackle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, erk1024 said:

Send the whole thing back to Jason and let him sort it out under warranty.  ;)

Honestly, that's the way to go forward. With the important bolded (otherwise buying a new wheel would be cheaper and safer).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
spelling
  • Like 1

If it's originally from ewheels (as you mentioned ewheels) and <1 year old (I think that's his warranty time) Jason should still honor the warranty.

If it's not from a warranty dealer, unfortunately it looks like this is a total loss:( Board + batteries are the price of a new wheel (also check out Aliexpress prices) and then you at least know the wheel is good (and have spare parts from the old wheel).

Unless you want to go into electronics repair - as Marty says, that would be next-level and you must know what you are doing. You should be able to get the appropriate Gotway BMSes from Ali (or somewhere) and repair the packs (if it is really only the BMSes that were damaged) with the right skills (no idea what those skills are... soldering, spot-welding(?), ...).

• Like 2

yes this wheel is from jason so I'll see what he says but I'm trying to contact the original owner because I follow him on Instagram. thank you guys for all the options you've given me. 

Edited by Eddie G.

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You should be able to get the appropriate Gotway BMSes from Ali (or somewhere) and repair the packs (if it is really only the BMSes that were damaged) with the right skills (no idea what those skills are... soldering, spot-welding(?), ...).

BMS' often use a plug for all the balance wires (whatever those are called). So replacing the BMS would probably require cutting open the shrink wrap, cutting or de-soldering the main power and charge wires, unplugging the balance lines. Then do the reverse to add the new BMS. And then re-shrink wrap it. TIMES TWO. But the problem remains of how they failed in the first place. So new board. Maybe new fast charger? Could be a good "learning project". 

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 2

i think that burnt mosfet is for charging, could it be that your fast charger is too powerful ? Theoretically, replacing it with a higher ampere mosfet should solve the problem but be careful, i think everyone of us, hands one guys here sure have experience it before, that accidental short circuit spark is really terrifying & dangerous :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yuweng said:

i think that burnt mosfet is for charging, could it be that your fast charger is too powerful ? Theoretically, replacing it with a higher ampere mosfet should solve the problem but be careful, i think everyone of us, hands one guys here sure have experience it before, that accidental short circuit spark is really terrifying & dangerous :P

There's no such thing as a too-powerful charger. A charger doesn't push amperes into the wheel. It simply makes available the amperes that the BMS consumes. You can plug a 2000-amp charger into a wheel but I assume the BMS will limit it's maximum ampere draw to some value much less than 2000-amps.