V8 won't turn on

Cmscrew

Was riding around today around 80% charge, after about 4 mins of riding, started to go up a grass hill, a hill I've climbed plenty but need to be a little careful doing so as it is a little bit on the steeper side. Not too bad tho. Anyways, the wheel cut out on my way up, at first I assumed the grass was just a little moist and I lost traction but that wasnt the case, the wheel didn't spin, it just cut out. I can't remember if I heard a noise or not, but it will not turn back on again at all. Appear completely dead. I plugged it into charger and nothing lit up, so after reading some threads here, I opened the side and disconnected the batter for 2-3 mins and plugged it back in, still no changes. No sign of life. The wheel is not hard to move, or stuck in anyway, there was no impact on the wheel, the battery connection was solid when I opened it up. Sent an email to ewheels, not sure what to expect. Just bought the wheel from them maybe 2 months ago. I love this thing and it's my 1st euc I've owned, please please help me. Not sure if I want to dig further into this, as to not void the warranty, curious if anyone has an idea of what it could be or not. Very nervous, going through euc withdrawals please send help!

• Like 1

Ewheels just emailed me back and asked that I check for blown fuses, would this void my warranty? Here is the response

Hello Connor,  

Sorry to hear that the Wheel failed. Could you take off the side panel & check to see if the fuse has blown (discoloration in the fuse)? This would be an indication of a general controller failure. If you plug in the charger, is there any sign of life on battery meter indicator? 

Thanks Connor

46 minutes ago, Cmscrew said:

Ewheels just emailed me back and asked that I check for blown fuses, would this void my warranty?

I don't know the legal situation, but it seems very unlikely to me that Ewheels would be using this as an excuse to claim a void warranty.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

okay heres an update, as you can see the ewheels rep pointed me in the direction of the "fuse for the general controller" as the culprit. his next email told me to look for visuals of it being blown, of wich i could see none, BUT after testing it with the 'ohms' option on a multimeter, it appears to be blown. after letting ewheels know all of this. there response was this "The fuses are symptomatic of another component failure, we'll Express you out a replacement controller on Monday, tracking number is xxx-xxx-xxx" 

I hope this helps some people. ask me questions if you fall into the same boat and ill try to help if i can! ill attach some pictures too! 

https://imgur.com/ZZyneCB

• Like 1

here is his final email for the time being, will update this post after i install the new board.

Thanks Connor, I'm the owner of the business, which I guess is why you're getting a response over the weekend, looking for more staff to help with the workload... 

In regards the question about the causation of the failure: we've sold many of these V8s, there doesn't seem to be a particular rhyme or reason that causes them to bork in this way. Based on my many years experience of working with the product, the closest theory I've been able to derive is that the manufacturing process of some of the chips has a 1:1000 probability of a weakness that may only be manifested after weeks/months of using, fortunately, in nearly all cases, this has not resulted in cut-out or injury to the Rider, happens when trying to turn on again. 

Have a good weekend,

Jason
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cmscrew said:

is there any way to avoid that :(

The obvious is to switch the pedals back. Otherwise, we can't quite know. Never going down a curb may help (not an option for me). Soft knees may help (my mantra, wasn't sufficient in my case).

i have rather unfortunate news, after receiving this board from jason at ewheels, and installing it just now (appreciate the very quick shipping). i triple checked to make sure all the wires were in the correct spots. i like to think im fairly decent at things like this since my occupation is repairing furnaces and air handlers, which often times need replacement mother boards, this felt like a walk in the park compared to that. after finishing the replacement, i went to power it on, only to be suprised by a loud popping noise, and now the wheel no longer moves freely like it did before, its a little tougher to roll and has a jagged feel to the roll. also the unit still does not power on. i fear this replacement board has only made more problems and am growing upset. i dont know that i can find an answer from you guys here. but am willing to answer all questions if you want to pick my brain.

Edited by Cmscrew

What fried the first board also fried the second? I don't think this is a problem we can solve. I'd assume you may get a replacement wheel (or at least a motor and another board) from ewheels. Certainly you need to contact ewheels again. Don't be upset, you were unlucky with the wheel, but you can consider yourself lucky with your after sales service availability.

Edited by Mono

On 9/25/2019 at 11:53 PM, Cmscrew said:

after finishing the replacement, i went to power it on, only to be suprised by a loud popping noise, and now the wheel no longer moves freely like it did before, its a little tougher to roll and has a jagged feel to the roll

Wheel doesnt move freely cauce mosfets goes to shotcut maybe there is another problem with this wheel, it can be Hall sensors in motor or motor wiring, If you unplug motor coil cables wheel should moves freely.