Help with kingsong 16s, cannot unlock 12 mph speed on iOS

photorph

I need help unlocking speed!  Can not believe kingsong are such a pain.  I have a kingsong 16s I bought to teach others to ride.  It has 2 km on it only, original owner purchases a year ago and never used it.  I’m using iPhone and I downloaded the newest app, when I go to speed settings I cannot click the “confirm” button.  I click but nothing happens.  Getting tired of 12 mph speed limit!  I have 3 Gotways and an inmotion and never had issues like this.

I tried deleting and re installing app already.  I tried using a different iPhone.  Circled is the confirm that doesn’t exist because nothing happens when I tap it!

UPDATE:  using a borrowed android phone I was able to unlock speed.  

So basically the iOS app doesn’t work for 16s in terms of adjusting speed.

06E64659-2E4F-4E02-8046-21B26A88D80B.jpeg

Edited by photorph

All KS wheels are speed limited for the first 5-10 km... This is to allow time to ensure there are no mechanical issues.

I know it is painful, but ride it until you have over 10 km on it and you should be able to change it then.

4 hours ago, december11 said:

Try to setup max speed in DarknessBot https://apps.apple.com/us/app/darknessbot/id1108403878
Settings/Device/Max speed 

Doesn’t that mess things up?  I was always knew to monitor speed with DarknessBot, and not change settings.

My new KS16s isn't speed locked but the handle on mine broke after less than a week :(

I'm starting to wish I'd kept my V5F, first the firmware jammed up and left my machine unrideable for a day till I sorted it,  then a day later the trolley handle snapped so it's now unrideable again.

Edited by Gasmantle

16 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

My new KS16s isn't speed locked but the handle on mine broke after less than a week :(

I'm starting to wish I'd kept my V5F, first the firmware jammed up and left my machine unrideable for a day till I sorted it,  then a day later the trolley handle snapped so it's now unrideable again.

Im highly disappointed with kingsong.  My inmotions and gotways never had any of these issues.  The kingsong app is horrible.  Also the pads on the ks16s are hard/uncomfortable.  Just wondering why anyone would buy kingsong when there is Gotway.

@The Fat Unicyclist there was no indication of the 5-10km anywhere.  Does the “confirm” just not work for the first 10 km? I’ll report back after 10km, but it will take an hour to ride that.

Edited by photorph
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

Yea, I considered an Inmotion V10F before I bought the KS16s and starting to think that may have been a better bet.

Yeah I have a v8 and have ridden the v10, wayyy better than a ks16s.  I have 3 gotways, the MSX is my favorite still.

• Like 3

Just went through this last night on my new KS16x

Two things for unlock speed 

1. Have to ride more than 10km. (You can check your total mileage/km in all the diff apps)

2. Have to make sure the device is registered with the KS app AND you’re signed into KS app. (Can’t say illegal device at the top  of the Ks app)

I didn’t have to deal with this in my KS16S because the dealer removed it with a code when he delivered it.  

I will agree with the previous fellows.

Normally you have restriction antil you have traveled over 10 km. There is an unlock code you can use to bypass the restriction. And last it must be set to expert riding mode. On my ks16s it worked out so it cept my speed changes.

Happy riding!

53 minutes ago, Fer9001 said:

I will agree with the previous fellows.

Normally you have restriction antil you have traveled over 10 km. There is an unlock code you can use to bypass the restriction. And last it must be set to expert riding mode. On my ks16s it worked out so it cept my speed changes.

Happy riding!

There is no where to enter the the unlock code.

thanks for the 10 km tip.  I haven’t gotten there yet as I’m mainly using this wheel to teach others in parking lot 

Update I did more than 10 km and I still cannot unlock the speed on this wheel.  I’ve tried using 2 iPhones.  The confirm button just does work when pressed.  Yes I’ve registered and I’m able to get to the speed setting.

i don’t want to be stuck with a 12 mph wheel!  What can I do?  I bought this used but the first owner never used it for a year.  

I’m posted 2 videos, showing how I can’t get to speed settings on one iPhone and how I can’t click confirm on the other.

i can’t update firmware because it says I have the latest one already.  So frustrating!!

3BD41786-3AC8-4BD0-85A1-63CAC014859B.jpeg

FA1747F8-D4FE-41CC-9C1C-0BBD36FDBFBE.png

24 minutes ago, Fer9001 said:

Once I came over some poste he stated using its phone had problems with the app setting up his EUC. He borrowed an android phone and sorted it out.

Will try that next

16 hours ago, photorph said:

Also the pads on the ks16s are hard/uncomfortable.  Just wondering why anyone would buy kingsong when there is Gotway.

I understand the frustration. But each model has it’s quirks, from every manufacturer. When choosing which one to buy, one just has to choose the model whose quirks one can live with. Luckily (other than app related ones) the quirks are not present in all models from a manufacturer, which is why being frustrated with a 16S wouldn’t necessarily make the 16X a bad choice, for example.

V10F is a nicely riding wheel. But the pedals may crack clean off after a few thousand kms (never fixed), and a few units have literally burst into flames (issue since fixed). Personally I’d prefer a broken handle (issue since fixed) and app issues (being fixed).

That’s why people buy KS. Just not many buy the 2.5 year (or something) old 16S anymore.

The 16S handle has since been upgraded to a much more durable one, so if you’ll be replacing it, make sure you get the latest one.

KS always has issues with every major new version of the app. While they eventually get sorted out, it seems the latest iOS version has trouble getting accepted in the App Store, so the latest bug fixes are only available for Android.

• Like 2

New lower end Android smartphones can be found for under $20. Might make sense to have one just for your 16S. No cell plan needed, only a Wi-Fi signal. In a crunch, you could always pop into the nearest cell phone store and borrow a display model to make changes to your 16S settings.

King Song has safeguards so new owners won't be going too fast initially, such as requiring a rider to successfully travel a few miles first. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to avoid putting any of the speed settings at a higher number than permitted, which results in the Confirm button rejecting the setting by doing nothing. If you're not sure what that limit might be, start low and slowly raise the speed setting until it is rejected.

Granted the King Song app isn't perfect, but at least it works. I've never been able to get the GotWay app to work even once! Installed it on three different Android devices and it would only attempt to open and instantly crash every time before it opened. Also, I find both the older and newer 16S designs to be more comfortable than a GotWay MSX--I've had them all.

Sounds like you may have an earlier King Song 16S. The pads have since been refined to be more comfortable. All EUCs are undergoing tweaks regularly. If your 16S is a year or so old, it's not exactly the same as the 16S now, even if the model name has remained the same.

A trolley handle doesn't just snap, unless it is being misused. An extended handled is not intended to carry the full weight of the wheel, just to guide it while rolling when dismounted.

Edited by 3euc
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 3:21 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

All KS wheels are speed limited for the first 5-10 km... This is to allow time to ensure there are no mechanical issues.

I know it is painful, but ride it until you have over 10 km on it and you should be able to change it then.

I have an 18XL that I've ridden over 200 km and I can't get the app to unlock it. Do I have to borrow someone's android phone?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dan Travers said:

I have an 18XL that I've ridden over 200 km and I can't get the app to unlock it. Do I have to borrow someone's android phone?

If you are unable to get to the speed settings in the app or if the confirm button isn't working then yes you will have to.  That's what the issue was for me with the 16s.  

• Like 1