Mten3 arrived today

M640x

That's weird.  You would think if you can go 30-40 feet that you should just continue what you were doing in the first place?  Do you have noticeably uneven leg lengths moreso that on the average?  What happens after 40 feet?  Do you consistently veer off in a certain direction?

Sometimes on pathways with a marked yellow line I will practice roll on the line without deviating off as if I was trying to ride on a tightrope to see how far I can get.  If you haven't tried it, it's kind of fun.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

1 hour ago, xorbe said:

I'm getting both an MTen3 and KS-16X later today.  Maybe I'll try the MTen3 first.  I thought the bigger one would be easier to learn on.

Remember, this is only my opinion.  I am brand new to this so I don't have any long-standing built-in habits from doing three or four hundred miles on different wheels.  I only have the little bit that I have picked up and that my brain and  body have gotten used to over two weeks.

The best way I can explain it is this. When you're new to this like me, you have to make a lot of corrections in the beginning because the brain in the body are still learning how to ride a unicycle.  And making those corrections on my king song 14 in wheel has been happening on a regular basis. Sometimes I make it through sometimes I fall  or jump off.  With the mten3, making those corrections is easier and I'm also able to come through every single correction without having to jump off or fall. Flicking the mten3 around is easier, turning is easier and most of all going straight is easier for me.  So I will be spending the next 100 to 200 miles on the mten3 getting very familiar with riding a small electric unicycle and then I'll jump back up to my king song.

9 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That's weird.  You would think if you can go 30-40 feet that you should just continue what you were doing in the first place?  Do you have noticeably uneven leg lengths moreso that on the average?  What happens after 40 feet?  Do you consistently veer off in a certain direction?

Sometimes on pathways with a marked yellow line I will practice roll on the line without deviating off as if I was trying to ride on a tightrope to see how far I can get.  If you haven't tried it, it's kind of fun.

I agree with you. I have picked up the EUC pretty quickly. I actually was able to ride straight a little ways across the yard within 10 minutes of being on the wheel.  I was able to start cornering by the end of couple hours. Starting and stopping were the easiest to pick up.  Naturally as you start feeling more confident and your skill level increases you start taking it out on longer rides.  I know I need to put the time and the miles in so the first thing I want to do is get out on the road or the track and put some miles in. I'll explained what happens in this way. I will step up on the wheel start going forward one or two seconds of wobbly and then I straighten it out and I start cruising along at about 7 to 10 miles per hour. All of a sudden it's as if my brain and my body forget how to balance and everything just shuts off. The wheel goes one way and I go the other.  It may very well be that everything is not intuitive enough yet and I have to really think about it still.  Maybe the point at which I lose it is when my brain stops thinking about it for a second. Know this, I'm not complaining about it because I know I'm brand new and I have a lot to learn. I just thought it was a bit odd that I can scream through a corner and I mean some pretty tight ones, but I can't ride straight. I'll keep at it.  I'm not going to stop this.  I absolutely love it.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, mten3 just became my favorite wheel.  Rode for an hour this evening.  Riding straight, no more  problems, figure eights in the street, no problem.  Step on and off, no problem.  Gonna put at least 100 miles on this before going back to 14" wheel.  Maybe more.  Definitely fast forwarded my ride training and confidence.  Once again if ur a beginner, try this wheel.  It may seem squirrelly to a veteran but to a beginner like me it accelerated the learning speed.  

I wanted to add a note.  The mten3 isn't easier than my 14", I should use the proper word, different.  Let me explain.  We have a certain way we ride and a certain skill level.  When we ride we make adjustments to stay upright, turn, start, stop, etc.  I make the same adjustments on the 10" as I did on the 14" wheel it's just that because of the size and weight of the 10" wheel the adjustments happen faster and may at times be less obvious.  That in turn makes it seem easier but it's actually just the speed of adjustments that's changed.  Once I've honed the adjustments on the 14" wheel it will seem "easier".

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 1

Did I break my MTen3 already after 5 minutes?  I bundled it up with a towel and masking tape, then went between my house and a tree in the yard.  It fell a few times in the yard.  What happened is that the beeping went from loud to barely audible.  It's not supposed to get quieter automatically, right?

4 minutes ago, Senior Coffee said:

Maybe the towel/tape covered the speaker?

Nah.  Besides, the buzzer is like inside the unit.  I guess it failed already.  Bummer, that sucks.  Lol lasted 5 minutes.

17 hours ago, xorbe said:

I'm getting both an MTen3 and KS-16X later today.  Maybe I'll try the MTen3 first.  I thought the bigger one would be easier to learn on.

Definitely start with the lighter wheel! It'll boost your confidence as you get accustomed to riding. Although my size 11 feet were ridiculous on the stock pedals, so you may consider an aftermarket option to feel more sturdy on it. (All gotway pedals are interchangeable)

I find that all the beginners I teach are riding the mten3 in a couple minutes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

Definitely start with the lighter wheel! It'll boost your confidence as you get accustomed to riding. Although my size 11 feet were ridiculous on the stock pedals, so you may consider an aftermarket option to feel more sturdy on it. (All gotway pedals are interchangeable)

I find that all the beginners I teach are riding the mten3 in a couple minutes

Replaced Mten3 pedal with ACM pedals and it feels like its got a power boost.  Very nice...

• Like 2

I basically conquered the MTen3 as my first euc in about 4 hours today.  I spent the last hour going up and down the street and u-turns and figure eights with only a few dismounts (no unit tumbles) and without any padding on the unit (I needed the headlight).  The local kids kept running their kick razors in front of me, lol.  Good obstacle course.  Man the inside of my lower legs are nearly raw.

Basically what I did is pad the unit with a towel and tape, then hail mary from my garage door about a dozen times.  EUC is all or nothing, you can't "kind of" do it, hah.

My precision and speed suck though, all in good time.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

Guess I should asked the guru @meepmeepmayer well what's the news in new battery will it improve Mten3?

I'm not an expert or guru (but thanks:)). And we know nothing certain about the 21700s other than Gotway is apparently planning to switch and use them. Unknown what the new cells will do. Unknown if there will ever be a 21700 mten3 (maybe a freshly designed mten4... one can dream). The new cells also have to physically fit the battery space, whether that works well or not can change from wheel to wheel. On the tightly built mten3... maybe not?

Speculation: the 21700s allow less aggressive speed throttling as the battery charge drops. So no top speed difference, but more safety against overpowering a battery in general and higher safe speed at lower battery percentages.

Or not, who knows;) Experience shows all the theory goes out of the window with EUCs and you just have to test and see what actually goes on.

20 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I'm not an expert or guru (but thanks:)). And we know nothing certain about the 21700s other than Gotway is apparently planning to switch and use them. Unknown what the new cells will do. Unknown if there will ever be a 21700 mten3 (maybe a freshly designed mten4... one can dream). The new cells also have to physically fit the battery space, whether that works well or not can change from wheel to wheel. On the tightly built mten3... maybe not?

Speculation: the 21700s allow less aggressive speed throttling as the battery charge drops. So no top speed difference, but more safety against overpowering a battery in general and higher safe speed at lower battery percentages.

Or not, who knows;) Experience shows all the theory goes out of the window with EUCs and you just have to test and see what actually goes on.

Never a disappointment Guru... Can't wait I think my next money is on new MSX where I like to ride it dominates.

12 hours ago, xorbe said:

I basically conquered the MTen3 as my first euc in about 4 hours today.  I spent the last hour going up and down the street and u-turns and figure eights with only a few dismounts (no unit tumbles) and without any padding on the unit (I needed the headlight).  The local kids kept running their kick razors in front of me, lol.  Good obstacle course.  Man the inside of my lower legs are nearly raw.

Basically what I did is pad the unit with a towel and tape, then hail mary from my garage door about a dozen times.  EUC is all or nothing, you can't "kind of" do it, hah.

My precision and speed suck though, all in good time.

I took mine out for a longer ride today.  Rode up to the middle school track and did laps.  I also rode on the sidewalks around the outside of the school. The laps on the track definitely helped hone my skills as far as going straight and increasing speed.  I feel so much more comfortable now.  I was able to get up to 15 miles per hour.  I also went out into the parking lot and used the parking spots to do right and left turns.  It's coming along. I'm hoping after I put about a hundred miles on this wheel that I can go back to my 14-inch wheel and carry on where I left off.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 12:13 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I would not be willing to compromise on durability (if that ever became a question) I beat the absolute hell out of my mten3 and she purrs on strong (600 miles so far). The grr's and grunts are honestly adorable.

• Like 1

I love my mten3.  I choose it over my 14" wheel all the time now.  I have some observations on the m.

When we ride, we make adjustments to stay upright.  In my short experience with the mten3, the adjustments whatever type they are, take much less effort.  So whether I swivel or lean or whatever, they are reduced so much because of the size and the weight that it makes riding the mten3 a breeze.  For turns on the mten3, I hold everything from the hips down still and just lean a little from the hips up, it works perfectly.  The amount of lean determines the tightness of the turn.  For going straight I lean forward of course and my corrections for "falling" one way or the other are reduced to simply tilting my head and sometimes my shoulders in the direction of the fall.  Once again it works perfectly and it makes riding the mten3 a joy.

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 1