What are you Flexmeter folks using for hand protection?

Up until now, I have been wearing Solo Thermal gloves in winter.

But I have just received some GyroRiderz EUC Gloves (to use and to sell), and these are looking like a good alternative...

I will be reviewing these soon.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2019 at 12:12 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Up until now, I have been wearing Solo Thermal gloves in winter.

But I have just received some GyroRiderz EUC Gloves (to use and to sell), and these are looking like a good alternative...

I will be reviewing these soon.

Shall stay tuned on these and how they perform, they look exactly what the Flatland3Ds should have been! :D

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

I use a long fingered pair of cycling gloves under mine.  They're thin enough that they fit pretty well underneath.  Similar to these https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-iZUMi-Cyclone-Gloves-Black/dp/B01BETMI8M  I've had a fall at around 25-30 MPH (slid out in a tight corner while going downhill on a bike) in a similar pair of gloves and they protected my hands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2019 at 6:17 PM, Gaz Bon said:

Under my wrist gaurds

Ninja gloves ,very soft and thin super tough on Palm and fingers 

ninja-gloves.com.au

Bought these on your recommendations. Was very inexpensive and thin. Fit right under flexmeters perfectly. The outside lining is nice and grippy as well.

I will, however, be needing to buy a pair of gloves for the winter as these are not warm.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, Gaz Bon said:

Ah yes in Darwin No winter as tropical climate we have 2 seasons wet and dry 

Avg temp 27-33 C yr round

We can only be so lucky. It was -1C the other day.

For my review/contribution:

I wanted touchscreen gloves - a pair for warmer weather and a pair for colder weather. When I'm bored, I like to do some courier activities so I can have fun riding and exploring the city without the feeling of aimlessness. I also did not want to break the bank ~20 budget. The gloves have to fit under flexmeters. I'll upload pictures if requested.

Ninja Gloves - $4.10 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069UBYYG/ - recommended by Gaz Bon

Extremely thin and light. Fit felt a little loose, but was comfortable. Almost like a second skin with full mobility. Extremely easy to fit under flexmeters. I was riding the other day (without my flexmeters on - because I was being lazy) and took a spill. I have a few red dots on my hand, but no road rash. The gloves look untouched.

These are GREAT for riding in warm weather. Using your phone with these on is a bit touch and go, I'd say it works 80% of time with some errors. In colder weather, these are not recommended as it will feel like you have nearly nothing on.

Glider Gloves Winter Style - $16.99 - https://www.amazon.com/GliderGloves-Copper-Infused-Screen-Gloves/dp/B005WT0266/

These gloves are a bit thicker and tighter to put on, but once they're on they feel extremely comfortable and snug. I still have good mobility. There are two layers of gloves  (it's like wearing two pairs of the typical knitted gloves). It's a minor squeeze into flexmeters. Using them on touchscreen is great and it feels 100% accurate for me. These gloves are comfortable to 4.5 C /40 F. It will feel decently warm. Higher than that, it feels toasty. At -1C/30F, you can feel that there is a chill. - This is all personal experience and YMMV.

• Like 3

I use MX gloves like these - had them on today in fact for the first time at lows of 9 deg and they were fine. Work well under Flexmeters. They are thin but have a sorta suede/alcantara palm and fingers which should be fine for abrasion resistance. I don't have a touchscreen finger on mine but I am sure you can get some with one.

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/kit/motocross_gloves/thor_motocross_gloves/thor_draft_gloves/thor_draft_black_white_gloves?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq6nMgpHt5QIVi7HtCh20ewPmEAQYBSABEgJuX_D_BwE

The (in my opinion) most important feature of wrist guards is that they must slide along the ground instead of ram your arm into your shoulder. So if the snowboarding gloves have plastic slide plates on the palms, great. If not, I'd be worried about being abruptly stopped by the friction of the fabric on the ground in a crash, which is exactly what you do not want.

Wrist guards really act as palm and arm and shoulder guards with EUCs. Your wrists aren't really in danger, as you don't bend your wrists in a crash. That's different from snowboarding, I believe there breaking the wrists by overbending is the main concern.

-

Sowing some plastic slide plates on snowboard gloves might be a nice compromise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wrist guards really act as palm and arm and shoulder guards with EUCs. Your wrists aren't really in danger, as you don't bend your wrists in a crash. That's different from snowboarding, I believe there breaking the wrists by overbending is the main concern.

Very true, and is why Flexmeters are sold both with and without the slider pucks. The snowboarders use them without, us and everyone else on the hard stuff needs the sliders :)

8 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Very true, and is why Flexmeters are sold both with and without the slider pucks. The snowboarders use them without, us and everyone else on the hard stuff needs the sliders :)

But they are attached in such a flimsy way that several riders (including @Marty Backe) had them completely tear off on impact (with hands saved only by D3O backing underneath).

• Like 1

Thanks for the concern, but I think I will stick with my flimsy Flexmeters  :)

I also suspect that there are more than a few people who have gone down hard with them and *not* ripped a slider off, and saved their delicate wrist and hand bones in the process.

I can't speak for the mechanics of Marty's fall, but I maintain that Flexmeters offer the best overall protection against bone damage for EUC use.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Frankly, any safety gear can get destroyed during a bad fall and need to be replaced. I'm OK with that if it saves my skin and bones.

I fully agree with @Marty Backe & @Planemo. I never ride either of my EUC's without wearing my Flexmeters and already have a brand new spare pair in case (hopefully not!) my current pair get trashed in a spill!

A new pair is only money spent, lost skin or broken bones means I'm off work and unable to earn/pay the bills and worse still unable to ride - Flexmeters for the win, I say!  By the way, I have 2 pairs of thin leather gloves that fit very comfortably underneath the Flexmeters, to respond to the O.P.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2