After having ridden Gotway & Kingsong, is there anyone who actually prefers kingsong?

photorph

38 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

"flawless."

I wonder if you guys ever ride the beeps on the 18XL... my experience has not been flawless at those speeds. Not bagging on the XL but it has some flaws when you ride it with a purpose.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, erk1024 said:

For what it's worth, I like my Monster V3 better than my 18XL. But I've taken it apart twice to address build quality issues. I haven't had to fix anything on the 18XL--it's been flawless since day one.

You make me wanna buy that monster asap, lol. Btw, what did you have to open it up and fix? I think i vaguely remember you posting about opening it on your thread, but  I cant remember now. Nor can i remember the name of the thread. 

Way too much flame-bait in that OP for me to use energy on arguments. We’re lucky not to have much fanboy wars in the community, and I prefer it to stay that way.

People have different priorities and preferences.

Edited by Mimolette
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I wonder if you guys ever ride the beeps on the 18XL

If you hit tiltback on the 18XL it's unpleasant and unnerving. I used "flawless" in the context of not having any build quality issues. No wheel is perfect obviously. But @Flyboy10 what did you run into when riding it at top speed?

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, seage said:

You make me wanna buy that monster asap, lol. Btw, what did you have to open it up and fix? I think i vaguely remember you posting about opening it on your thread, but  I cant remember now. Nor can i remember the name of the thread. 

Stuff I had to fix on the Monster:

• When flipped up, the right side pedal would fall down with any kind of movement of the wheel. I took off the side panel, and the magnet had been glued in tilted (with solidified hot glue in between the magnet and the body) and it was close to falling out of its hole. So I pulled off the hot glue and re-installed it correctly this time with epoxy. That magnet is never coming out!
  • The lift cut-off button could get stuck. I'd turn on the wheel and it wouldn't auto-balance, and didn't know why. Then if I monkeyed around with the button and made sure it was in the full-out position, the wheel would work. Yikes. I unplugged that button and taped down the wires.
  • The wheel had a slow leak in the tube from the factory. The leak was in the inner seam of the tube next to the rim. Just a defective tube. Probably not Gotway's fault, but QA probably should have noticed the flat tire and replaced it.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Stuff I had to fix on the Monster:

• When flipped up, the right side pedal would fall down with any kind of movement of the wheel. I took off the side panel, and the magnet had been glued in tilted (with solidified hot glue in between the magnet and the body) and it was close to falling out of its hole. So I pulled off the hot glue and re-installed it correctly this time with epoxy. That magnet is never coming out!
  • The lift cut-off button could get stuck. I'd turn on the wheel and it wouldn't auto-balance, and didn't know why. Then if I monkeyed around with the button and made sure it was in the full-out position, the wheel would work. Yikes. I unplugged that button and taped down the wires.
  • The wheel had a slow leak in the tube from the factory. The leak was in the inner seam of the tube next to the rim. Just a defective tube. Probably not Gotway's fault, but QA probably should have noticed the flat tire and replaced it.

my tune was covered in fine machine dust, metal dust, i dont think they spent any time looking over. its all put together fast and shipped out.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, erk1024 said:

If you hit tiltback on the 18XL it's unpleasant and unnerving. I used "flawless" in the context of not having any build quality issues. No wheel is perfect obviously. But @Flyboy10 what did you run into when riding it at top speed?

The build quality is excellent, I agree. On both my 14D and 18XL when I climb a hill or hit near top speed, often times the wheel loses balance for a split second and just when I think this is the end, the pedals straighten up again. I've had some low speed tiltback issues with the XL as well. Might just be the 100v MSX and the bigger tire but I don't feel any bumps when I ride the MSX. The pedals stay flat no matter what bumps I hit.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

often times the wheel loses balance for a split second and just when I think this is the end, the pedals straighten up again

Sounds terrifying! I haven't experienced that yet. As far as low-speed tiltback, I had that exactly once. I was riding on a super bumpy trail near the beach, and it was raining at the time. But out of the blue I got tiltback, and it stayed tilted back until I had to get off the wheel. It's never happened since though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I used "flawless" in the context of not having any build quality issues.

I used "flawless" in the context of the 18XL being flawless. After reading here about some of the "underpowered" "pedal dipping" and otherwise bad 18XLs out there, I'm glad I got one of the good ones.

20 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I wonder if you guys ever ride the beeps on the 18XL... my experience has not been flawless at those speeds. Not bagging on the XL but it has some flaws when you ride it with a purpose.

I do, all the time.  No issues for me at all.  I tend not to hit the tiltback, though, since once I get the triple beep, I tend to back off slightly to two beeps.

7 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

I used "flawless" in the context of the 18XL being flawless. After reading here about some of the "underpowered" "pedal dipping" and otherwise bad 18XLs out there, I'm glad I got one of the good ones.

I wonder how much of that is down to firmware, as I've stuck with 1.11 (IIRC) because of the pedal dip reports, and I've never experienced it.

Now, to answer the original question:  I wish I could frankenstein a wheel that was the combination of KingSong's frame, shell and pedals, and Gotway's motor, control board, and battery.  There are aspects of Gotway wheels that I hate (the pedal mounting, the axle shims) and there are things I can't stand about KingSong (the speed limiting and the app).  Wish I could have the best of both worlds.   If only I owned a CNC...

Edited by neurokinetik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

The build quality is excellent, I agree. On both my 14D and 18XL when I climb a hill or hit near top speed, often times the wheel loses balance for a split second and just when I think this is the end, the pedals straighten up again. I've had some low speed tiltback issues with the XL as well. Might just be the 100v MSX and the bigger tire but I don't feel any bumps when I ride the MSX. The pedals stay flat no matter what bumps I hit.

Ive felt that when going around 48km/h. Terrifying. Your heart just kinda goes "yeah, its over" and you prepare to fall, then it catches you. Not something i enjoy, thats for sure. But thats why my next wheel is going to be gotway. I still love my XL, but like...im never pushing it to tiltback, ever. Those speeds are no no zones for me. 

My Kingsong app never works. I get that same error so I force close the app. I strictly use wheellog, it's the best app. I could never get the Gotway app to even open though so Kingsong has a leg up on that to :D:mellow::(

Surprisingly, my kingsong official app close to ALWAYS works, and never needs to be force closed. Its more stable than wheel log. 

Btw, are the XL pedals tilted in at all? Or are they totally flat? I know the 16X are slightly tilted, which people seem to like.

Does that aggressive angle lead to better control but more foot fatigue? Is that the tradeoff you get with more aggressive wheels?

Many serious riders here in the Bay have swapped out their Nikola pads for something thinner and firmer. Makes a huge difference in comfort and control. I use surf stomp mats using the kick tail as a speed wedge. Highly recommended. 

20190920_213149_resize_18_crop_18.jpg.438ce9a1512acc5f92369c25c10a558f.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, who_the said:

Many serious riders here in the Bay have swapped out their Nikola pads for something thinner and firmer. Makes a huge difference in comfort and control. I use surf stomp mats using the kick tail as a speed wedge. Highly recommended. 

20190920_213149_resize_18_crop_18.jpg.438ce9a1512acc5f92369c25c10a558f.jpg

Can you please provide a link to the material they look very functional and awesome looking great job.

3 hours ago, seage said:

Btw, are the XL pedals tilted in at all? Or are they totally flat?

They are tilted up slightly... But not much. I think something in between that and the MSX would be perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

Can you please provide a link to the material they look very functional and awesome looking great job.

Go on Amazon and search "surf stomp mats" pick your color of choice and order it. :thumbup:

• Like 1