Retrovertigo

How effective are helmet rear view mirrors?

Looking to buy a rear view mirror for me helmet, but they seem a bit small? Also don't they vibrate a fair bit as well?

I am technically blind in my right eye and so looking over my shoulder here in the U.K is quite difficult as I really need to twist around, which at my level of riding at the moment, almost throws me off balance. Cheers

I tried those when I was cycling never liked it.  

I have an adjustable mirror on my left wrist which I saw a local rider use and made sense. I picked it up off ebay for $9 shipped. 

Just now, prasket said:

I tried those when I was cycling never liked it.  

I have an adjustable mirror on my left wrist which I saw a local rider use and made sense. I picked it up off ebay for $9 shipped. 

Oh cool....will have a look for those. Cheers

I have a helmet mirror since a few months and it does the job. You're not going to be watching the scenery in it but it is enough to see if there is someone behind you (car or cyclist). It also have the benefit of always being there, compared to the wrist mirror.

Edited by Mimolette

I use a helmet mirror, both with EUC and scooter. It took me a couple tries to find one I liked.

The problem with a helmet mirror for us older riders is the difficulty/inability focusing at that close distance. I got a wrist mirror so I can hold it at a distance that I can focus at.

I DIY installed a mirror designed for bicycle handlebar ends on my helmet’s sun shield/flap/fixed visor. The mirror is short and sturdy, so it doesn’t vibrate. I absolutely love the mirror, and got so used to it that I feel naked and insecure whenever I use my other helmet that doesn’t have a sun shield. Having a rear view in the corner of one’s eye at all times is a magnificent aid in getting a full spectrum grasp on what happens around me.

A wrist mirror that has to be separately positioned every time one wants to have a look didn’t do it for me, since I have found it quite valuable to have a view even when one doesn’t know to actively have a look.

I have a helmet mirror and you're right, it's kind of small and does vibrate a little but is still OK for me.  My struggle is remembering to check it, but I wouldn't ride without it now.