Nikola Plus Tire Change - What I learned...

I just did my tire change to CYT from CST.  Here are some things to take note:

1) There are screws on each side under the LED strip, I missed one broke it.  You can't take the screws all the way out.  The LED strip is preventing it from falling out.  

2) There are three pieces of duct tape.  two are at the top where the top battery is and one to the side hole.  Almost impossible to remove.  WTF

3) there is a LED connector that is almost impossible to reconnect unless you take off the LED strip or use a long needle nose pliers.  

I spent 3 hours changing the f'ing tire.  I did it without taking the pedal hanger side, with the control board, off.  I just had to remove the cover.  It is definitely more difficult to remove the tire with half the shell still on.  I didn't want to remove the cable and reapply silicone.  

Caution, this is 100V, you will get shocked if not careful.  disconnect the main battery connection to the control board, then press the power button to discharge the capacitors.  When you reconnect later, there will be a huge spark when the capacitors draw power.  

You have to remove the top battery before removing the f'ing duct tape holding the shell together.  There is another piece in a small hole.  So f'ing stupid.  Might be used prevent dust from getting into the shell.  JK.  I have no idea what is is for. 

What you will notice is Gotway cutting away at the shell to make the top battery fit.  lots of foam padding.

All in all compared to KS, a total f'ing nightmare to change.  Not much though has gone to putting this together, design and manufacturing.  

The top shutoff button is actually two buttons.  Think they made it like that because it is so wide.   My CST tire was mounted on backwards.  Same in the Ecodrift video.  LOL

Anyone want to attempt this get ready to waste lots of time.  

@Patton250, good luck.

Now on to how the tire rides.  I think with multiple times I had to take it off and put it back on, i must have warped it.  There was a noticeable bump when riding it initially and spinning the tire by hand.  i had to release the air and try to massage it so it would be more round.  The ride characteristics of the CYT compared to the CST is that it is more nimble and rides better in my opinion.  I got the tire to a point where it there isn't too much bumping when riding.   Imagine initially it is not a round tire, more elongated or oval, so you can feel the ups and downs when going fast would shake.  For the most part I've gotten ride of that.  Will ride it some more tomorrow to see.  

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 3

I changed the tire and it was easy. Of course I popped the first inner-tube but that won’t happen again. I got everything back together very neatly and perfectly and when I started it up the machine violently shakes. There’s no way I hooked the wires up incorrectly. I labeled them and everything. I PM’ed Marty and he saved the day.  Apparently even though I labeled the wires because I’m color blind I hooked them up wrong. That’s all the problem was.  Thank you Marty. 

I really didn’t think this was difficult at all. Took me about 1.5-2 hours and that’s because I had to take it back apart to change the wires. 

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, redfoxdude said:

Yeah, it was a real pain in the ass to separate the halves. And that ridiculous LED connector, I couldn't believe it. Come on, man!

@Patton250 Here is the video of my notes on how to do it without separating the halves, a lot easier. Unfortunately I figured it out after I started the painstaking process...

By the way this video did come in handy. It caused me to be careful with the hall sensor plug, and it also showed me how to remove those bottom plastic pieces so I could slide the tire out. Thanks man 

• Like 1

Ok CX successfully installed on my Nik+ with much appreciated help from here.  I tried several different tire pressures from 15 to 35 PSI. I settled in on 18 psi. All wobbles are now gone. I can easily cruise up to 30+ miles per hour and carve the entire way. This wheel is absolutely awesome.  I haven’t gotten the balls to go 40 mph yet. LOL 

By the way  I did not have a screw in the center of the shell beneath the GW sticker. There is definitely a place for one there but I didn’t have one on either side. 

Edited by Patton250
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Ok CX successfully installed on my Nik+ with much appreciated help from here.  I tried several different tire pressures from 15 to 35 PSI. I settled in on 18 psi. All wobbles are now gone. I can easily cruise up to 30+ miles per hour and carve the entire way. This wheel is absolutely awesome.  I haven’t gotten the balls to go 40 mph yet. LOL 

Wow, I was thinking of going with the CX as well! You’re the first to do this :) 

Do you notice a difference besides the wobbles?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Awesome! I'm glad you got it swapped without too much trouble.

And mine didn't have those center screws, either. 🤷‍♂️

Weird. I’m glad though. 

2 hours ago, chrisjunlee said:

Wow, I was thinking of going with the CX as well! You’re the first to do this :) 

Do you notice a difference besides the wobbles?

It has the gyro feeling for sure. The original CST is definitely more nimble between 5-10 MPH but they the CX is equal after that and is better for control IMO

• Like 1