Looking Extreme - Solowheel Xtreme

MvM

Completely agree MvM ;)

My concerns, due have never tried a 18" wheel, are about the agility in fast turns and zig zag among people against a smaller size wheel as a 14"...

While a 18" size is more comfortable on long route or on tricky street surfaces, maybe could be more difficult to control in fast 90 degrees turns or in short and fast zig zag among people on sidewalk. .. :huh:

Must be absolutely tried ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the rules are pretty confusing, but you definitely can check in a device that has a 160Wh battery in it, the FAA document says "Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage."

The reason they don't allow spare batteries in checked luggage is they are worried the contacts may short against metal if they're moving around in the luggage and start a fire. If you had a 160Wh removable battery installed in a wheel you should be able to check it with the battery installed. Then you could carry on another 160Wh in your carry-on luggage. At least that's my understanding from the words there.

I checked it here (Switzerland)

:

Check In: Max. 1 x 100wh built in Battery (no battery only allowed)

Carry on: unlimited 100wh (one built in) or 2 x 160wh (at some point you get a weight problem)

It was sounding like, no built in over 100wh battery allowed

NO battery more then 160wh allowed

I think motor power is VERY important, much more than most people think.

To give an example: 

Today was the first day of this year at which the weather was nice enough to go out and ride my Solowheel through town without the need of a jacket or coat. 

So here I was on my 1500W Solowheel on a busy shopping streets with Really Lots of People. And I am zig-zagging in between those people, overtaking them, literally slowing down and accelerating all the time, while at the same time making tight turns, sometimes coming to a complete stop while waiting for an opening, then zooming forward again with speed to slip through a gap.

Got (as usual) lots of surprised looks and remarks and Wows! and for about 6 km.

I have ridden the Airwheel and even the older 1000Watt SW, but I think those models all lack the agility and finesse needed for such agility. I think the extra power act is simply necessary when you want (or need) extreme agility.

I hope the new SW Xtreme will be able to do that at least as well and maybe even better than  the old model :)

Why does a "500w" gotway mcm climb steeper slopes than a "1500w" solowheel?  This is with the solowheel case edge angle expanded by being sawed off.

Source video: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/770303923067573/

In my case the problem is my personal weight. ..

With a 500watt, I must risk to approach the ramp with more fast speed and in any case often the wheel stops after max 10 meters from the ramp beginning, forcing me to put my foot on the ground and dismount the EU...

A 1500watt, instead, even if you approach the ramp really slowly, as it feels the resistance and the tendency to stops, it use the muscles power and carry you on the ramp permitting either to gain in acceleration and exit the ramp at a good speed ;)

Keep in mind that the gotway 18 comes in 3 versions with the same wattage motor. One has insane climbing ability but lower top speed, one has insane top speed but lower climbing ability, and one is between both. The wattage on the motor is the same, what's changed is how many windings on the motor. Remember that while watts does have an impact on torque, they are not the same. A lower watt motor can still produce more torque than a higher watt motor, if its designed for torque. As for hill climbing ability, and sudden acceleration, thats all torque, NOT watts.

EDIT: think like this. Torque is how hard the wheel is turning. I.e. more energy devoted to each rotation. The reason more torque = lower top speed is if each rotation per minute is consuming more energy, you will reach your batteries limit to supply energy at fewer overall rotations per minute than a more efficient motor.

Right ! This is also true ;)

Anyway, at now, with my 90 kg + clothes and backpack for a total of almost 98 kg, I still fail into climb some ramps with several 500watt EU where my son (30 kg less than me) has no problems even over more slopes !!!  :o  :rolleyes:

agreed.  Considering that on paper those $700 competitors beat solowheel in every way.   While in real life, specs are not everything, and don't mean anything for ride quality, on paper is what people look at for their first wheel.  And until someone has ridden their first wheel, ride quality is an abstract concept to them.  However, the 2 specs that matter the most to the most people on here, even after you have your first wheel, seem to be range and speed.  And Solowheel's competitors beat them by quite a large margin there.  So people see 3X the price, for 1/3 the range...

I don't agree.  The competitors only beat solowheel on two specs:  Max Speed + Max Distance on a single charge.   Solowheel beats all (or at least most, but its debatable) competitors on raw power which for me is the single most important spec.  

Italian Dealer, instead, still insists to confirm me he'll receive the Xtreme at the end of April and will be ready  for the Italian event presentation on the 9th of May :o

Where's the thruth ??  :lol:  

Obviously, I hope really so much he tells the truth  :D so I'll be able to try and buy the Xtreme during the event B)

I don't agree.  The competitors only beat solowheel on two specs:  Max Speed + Max Distance on a single charge.   Solowheel beats all (or at least most, but its debatable) competitors on raw power which for me is the single most important spec.  

as I understand it, (though I could be wrong) solowheel lists the motors peak power, not sustained.  while competitors list the sustained, not peak.so that particular spec is a bit harder to compare. But when you consider how much torque that motor is actually supplying, things become more clear. With the solowheel classic 1500 watt version, the max climbing angle listed on their site is 15 degrees.  gotway and rockwheel and others, easily blow past that, which would require that the gotway 14 I use have considerably more torque than the solowheel classic. (considering I have climbed a hill next to a reservoir damn that is much steeper than 15 degrees)

Keep in mind the 3 motor types of the gotway 18 all have the same motor power listed, 1000Watt (2400-3000W peak).  However the difference in torque produced is due to how the motor is wound. high torque for low speed, vs low torque on the high speed.  Bottom line is the power of the wheel cant really be even measured with just watts of the motor.  Another example is the solowheel classic lists 1500 watts to get 15 degrees of climbing,  and the solowheel extreme lists 1800 watts and 30 degrees of climbing.  doubling the climbing potential when the watts on the motor are only increased by 20%?  (300 watts being 20% of 1500)  odds are that inventist realized they have no plans on making a high speed version, so they copied gotway's idea on the high torque gotway 18 :D  would make sense.  if they aren't going for high speed, than a motor wound for high torque makes perfect sense.  Quite a good idea actually.  They should do the same for the classic.  since that wattage on the motor isn't being used for high torque, and the max speed is already limited.  would probably get them a lot more power :D

as I understand it, (though I could be wrong) solowheel lists the motors peak power, not sustained.  while competitors list the sustained, not peak.so that particular spec is a bit harder to compare. But when you consider how much torque that motor is actually supplying, things become more clear. With the solowheel classic 1500 watt version, the max climbing angle listed on their site is 15 degrees.  gotway and rockwheel and others, easily blow past that, which would require that the gotway 14 I use have considerably more torque than the solowheel classic. (considering I have climbed a hill next to a reservoir damn that is much steeper than 15 degrees)

Keep in mind the 3 motor types of the gotway 18 all have the same motor power listed, 1000Watt (2400-3000W peak).  However the difference in torque produced is due to how the motor is wound. high torque for low speed, vs low torque on the high speed.  Bottom line is the power of the wheel cant really be even measured with just watts of the motor.  Another example is the solowheel classic lists 1500 watts to get 15 degrees of climbing,  and the solowheel extreme lists 1800 watts and 30 degrees of climbing.  doubling the climbing potential when the watts on the motor are only increased by 20%?  (300 watts being 20% of 1500)  odds are that inventist realized they have no plans on making a high speed version, so they copied gotway's idea on the high torque gotway 18 :D  would make sense.  if they aren't going for high speed, than a motor wound for high torque makes perfect sense.  Quite a good idea actually.  They should do the same for the classic.  since that wattage on the motor isn't being used for high torque, and the max speed is already limited.  would probably get them a lot more power :D

No.  Solowheel lists sustained wattage not peak wattage.   Not sure about other brands.   Michael on the facebook group reports seeing spikes of 2100 when he rides the SW 1500.

In terms of climbing the solowheel classic can do a lot more that 15 degree, there was recent video showing it easily climbing one of those staircases in china.  Perhaps the 15 degree was due to the casing limitation.  Anyway, power is useful not just for climbing hills but all kinds of acceleration.   Its true that the Gw18 probably has more power than the Sw16, but thats very different to saying that SW is being outstripped my competition in general.

No.  Solowheel lists sustained wattage not peak wattage.   Not sure about other brands.   Michael on the facebook group reports seeing spikes of 2100 when he rides the SW 1500.

In terms of climbing the solowheel classic can do a lot more that 15 degree, there was recent video showing it easily climbing one of those staircases in china.  Perhaps the 15 degree was due to the casing limitation.  Anyway, power is useful not just for climbing hills but all kinds of acceleration.   Its true that the Gw18 probably has more power than the Sw16, but thats very different to saying that SW is being outstripped my competition in general.

Fair enough,  I stand corrected :D and yes I am aware that power is important for all kinds of acceleration.  it's just easiest to quantify it with incline degrees,  considering that there is no numerical value for "weaving past people on a sidewalk"  though there should be :D  perhaps it should be measured in the loudness of the surprised gasps from the people behind you  :blink:

When I run the Gotway 4.0 app and do a very hard acceleration on my MCM2s by going backwards first then suddenly switch to forwards (in Madden Mode) I often see a burst current of over 70 amps on the app.  That translates to over 4500 watts at 66 volts.  Not sure if that burst current measurement was accurate but that's a very high burst wattage if true.

Wow, that is huge.   I'll hopefully be using the Gw14 more over the next few weeks so I can do some side by side comparisons with solowheel and report back.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried the Xtreme last Saturday 9th   :o  B)

Great Great Great !!!! 

A must buy by my side ! ;)

Great acceleration, great Power, Great Control ! but sweet and kind when you need... Seem like to wear a pair of comfortable shoes. . !! 

You wear it !! NOT ride it only !!

Great !!

Meet there, in Naples, Shane Chen, his daughter and Joalene the Marketing director !!

Great experience !!

Thanks to Luigi of Solowheel-Italia for IASI Technology that has made all this possible having organised this Special event  B)

I've pre ordered 2 units.. one White for me and one Black for my son !  B)  must be delivered in 20 days at last here in Italy :D  B)

Tried the Xtreme last Saturday 9th   :o  B)

Great Great Great !!!! 

A must buy by my side ! ;)

Great acceleration, great Power, Great Control ! but sweet and kind when you need... Seem like to wear a pair of comfortable shoes. . !! 

You wear it !! NOT ride it only !!

Great !!

Meet there, in Naples, Shane Chen, his daughter and Joalene the Marketing director !! 

Thanks to Luigi of Solowheel-Italia for IASI Technology that has made all this possible having organised this Special event  B)

I've pre ordered 2 units.. one White for me and one Black for my son !  B)  must be delivered in 20 days at last here in Italy :D  B)

​WOW !

I am really jealous of you right now! I have mailed the Dutch importer and he is going to get it soon (I hope).

I really want to try it and see if there is really much difference between the new Xtreme and the prevous 1500W Solowheel.

It's different IMHO ;)

The same day I deeply tried a Classic 1500watt both in Soft and Hard modes .. but it's different... you ride them... Xtreme is "wearable" like a glove! Great power for quicker accelerations but either better and smooth microcontrol Going slow among people or idling on a point !

Well, Try it !! LOVE IT ! 

B):wub:

It's different IMHO ;)

The same day I deeply tried a Classic 1500watt both in Soft and Hard modes .. but it's different... you ride them... Xtreme is "wearable" like a glove! Great power for quicker accelerations but either better and smooth microcontrol Going slow among people or idling on a point !

Well, Try it !! LOVE IT ! 

B):wub:

​Hmm, reading you're comment I feel I REALLY need to try the Xtreme!! :D

I am at a point now that I can almost come to a complete stop on my 1500W Solowheel when riding among people, sometimes so that some people don't even notice that I am on a Solowheel. And of course, it's fun to see the reactions of people when you suddenly surge forward without any real movement from your part. With my SW, I can be really very agile.

So, when you say the Xtreme is much better, it really makes me curious on how much better the EU can be... :):) 

With an 18" wheel you will not find slow speeds quite so easy, that's for sure. Wheel size makes a huge difference to low speed agility and balance as we've found now that we can select from 10", 14", 16" or 18" wheels.

I'm not saying you can't go slow on an 18" but you can definately go a lot slower on a 10".

Yep
18 inch seems like not need at all to balance the lateral direction.
It stays almost to himself even though it is in place.

And the smaller the tire size goes, the more it requires a balancing act.

Yep
18 inch seems like not need at all to balance the lateral direction.
It stays almost to himself even though it is in place.

And the smaller the tire size goes, the more it requires a balancing act.

​YEAH!!!

This is exactly what's happens!

Imagnate the great and smooth control of the Classic 1500w increased by this extreme comfortable and better balancing feature ! For example. . If you can rest stopped on a point for 2-3" without put a foot on the ground among people with a Classic 1500w, with the Xtreme you can easily increase this time by 2" more !!!

Plus tthe feet place is larger well designed and very comfortable!

Sorry to repeat but... Try it, LOVE IT !!

Only 1 drawback imho, the price is not for All.....

Unfortunately, I'll probably never get to try Solowheel Extreme.
I never buy, because for me the speed is everything.
I am using my one wheel only extreme sports. And Solowheel Extreme does not fit in it, as is unfortunately slow :(

Unfortunately, I'll probably never get to try Solowheel Extreme.
I never buy, because for me is everything.
I am using my Ed ne wheel only extreme sports. And Solowheel Extreme do not fit in it, as is unfortunately slow :(

​Well...

Even if all Solowheel are limited to 16 Kmh, We tried The Xtreme last May 9th and with a GPS application we got a SUSTAINED speed of 24 Kmh !!!! This means that we got an instant GPS speed of 27 kmh!!!!! :o I can't believe to my eyes !! Be careful it has 2 setting modes. ..be sure to set the correct one when you'll try it ;)

​Well...

Even if all Solowheel are limited to 16 Kmh, We tried The Xtreme last May 9th and with a GPS application we got a SUSTAINED speed of 24 Kmh !!!! This means that we got an instant GPS speed of 27 kmh!!!!! :o I can't believe to my eyes !! Be careful it has 2 setting modes. ..be sure to set the correct one when you'll try it ;)

​Are you sure about this speed?
After my only (but rather serious) fall last year, I have become a little more careful. Since I am riding for 98% on streets, pavements and sidewalk and I am not using any protection (except for my coat when it's cold), falling down at 24 km/h would be no fun.
When i  tried a GPS app on my phone, I found it to be very unreliable when displaying my speed.

I have not fallen down since that last time and have driven at another 1700 km since then. Nevertheless, when I am riding on a nice paved bicycle lane, it would be nice to have just a little more speed. Something like 20-22 would be nice enough for me and still be reasonably save.

PS: Are the picture YOUR Xtremes??

Archived