How do you lunatics ride super high PSI?!

seage

20PSI???? holy shit.  The tire says right on the side 35-45psi.  I weigh 260 and was running around 40psi on an 18XL.  You're crazy to run lower you will dent the rim.  Don't listen to the lighter guys, they can run a higher pressure than heavier people.  They will not rebound as much or put as much weight into the ground.

2 hours ago, seage said:

Oh man, im glad you're okay, but damn, i laughed a bit because I almost died in the city the other day due to that stupid construction, im sorry. Toronto is so shit and yet I love it too, loll. Funny though, 35 isnt even low for me. I was at like 17psi. 35 i could throw around like a toy. Theres no resistance to how you push and pull it. And at least for me, it was super stable. For me, unstable is going 45, hitting some rough ground and the wheel is bouncing side to side between my legs. When your wheel is basically flat on the bottom, first off, you're barely bouncing, and second, itjust....stays flat. But not by itself. It doesnt pull itself upright like a more inflated tire. 

Anyways, have we met? I also ride in toronto. Are you part of the crew?

Howdy, I don't think me meet yet, as I'm not at any meeting, and I have yet saw any guy with an 18" wheel flying around :)
Everyday, I travel 5km to and from Union station, I've spotted a V10F and KS-14D so far.

Since I'm a new rider, my range is only limit around the area and from/to works, hopefully I can meet some of you guys later on :D 

31 minutes ago, Jason Ramsey said:

20PSI???? holy shit.  The tire says right on the side 35-45psi.  I weigh 260 and was running around 40psi on an 18XL.  You're crazy to run lower you will dent the rim.  Don't listen to the lighter guys, they can run a higher pressure than heavier people.  They will not rebound as much or put as much weight into the ground.

I didnt know it was 20, lmao. I pumped it to 35. It was wobbly, so i "let a little air out". I wasnt hitting the rim at all for a gooood while, but obviously the thang was deflating over time, and then the other day i finally felt the rim hit. So i pumped it up and thats when i saw it was so low. Anyways, i can read, ma boi, I saw what it said on the side lmao. Its at 40 now XDD

4 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

Howdy, I don't think me meet yet, as I'm not at any meeting, and I have yet saw any guy with an 18" wheel flying around :)
Everyday, I travel 5km to and from Union station, I've spotted a V10F and KS-14D so far.

Since I'm a new rider, my range is only limit around the area and from/to works, hopefully I can meet some of you guys later on :D 

Ah, you should meet ussss, haha. The season is ending soon so the group rides are going to slow down for the winter. But everyone is really nice. Lots of newer riders. Even i started just in january now i think? So this is my first season. The moment it got warm i came to my first group ride. At the time, i was too scared to ride faster than 25km/h, and they were super nice about it. But of course, if you're not ready to ride with people, dont worry about it, move at your own pace! But once you are, know that the group out here is super supportive and nice. I may know who you saw. The person on the 14 just upgraded to the 16X. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've run my Z10 at 32 psi since I got it.  Feels pretty good but a bit harsh on certain bumps.  Tried decreasing it a little to 26 psi yesterday and didn't like the ride at all.  Felt very loose and squirrelly.  Going back to 32psi.

For turns, I love the upright stability of the Z10 and from what I have read the 18" wheels are similar.  I literally just lean and my outside leg grips the wheel very similar to gripping the tank while turning on a motorcycle.  I then proceed to pull the wheel into the turn with my leg as needed.  I also have a KS14S and turns have always been a good effort in focus and concentration.  It doesn't like staying upright.  Lol

Edited by Senior Coffee

Out of curiosity what are most tyres on EUC's actually designed for? I'm guessing mopeds/motorbikes initially? I can't imagine it is cost effective to make tyres for the number of wheels they must sell?

If they are indeed made for mopeds and the like, then I'd suggest that just trusting what it says on the tyre wall is misleading, as usually it is intended to hold up half the weight of a motorbike as well as a person?

I weigh around 210 pounds, maybe a bit less, and on my Z10 (which I know is an anomaly. And has that wide stiff tubeless tyre) I am settled on between 15psi and 20psi at the moment, just fine tuning it. If I went close to what the tyre recommends on the wall, I'd rattle my body to pieces I think!

Here's what I've learned and why you can't just compare people's pressures or just jump on any euc and ride.

A certain tire size has a finite amount of air volume. The same amount of air can't hold all ranges of load. So what can you do? Change pressure.

You can't compare pressures of different size tires. They won't be the same.

Ideally the tire should compress by a certain amount when it's loaded to achieve a balance between mobility/rolling resistance/suspension. This measure remains quite fixed between wheels. On road bikes they say 15% of dropped height when loaded means you have the right pressure. On euc's I don't know if 15% is right but it could be a good place to start.

So lets say your friend weighs 20kg more than you. Then he'd need more pressure to achieve similar compression. The preferred rate of compression can differ between riders/terrain/road quality.

I like pretty high pressure because I can feel it's more power efficient and I've learned how to cope with it. In fact I hate low pressure situations more than I hate high pressure situations. There are risks with both but at least high pressure can be dealt with by experience.

Edited by alcatraz

9 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

Out of curiosity what are most tyres on EUC's actually designed for? I'm guessing mopeds/motorbikes initially? I can't imagine it is cost effective to make tyres for the number of wheels they must sell?

If they are indeed made for mopeds and the like, then I'd suggest that just trusting what it says on the tyre wall is misleading, as usually it is intended to hold up half the weight of a motorbike as well as a person?

I weigh around 210 pounds, maybe a bit less, and on my Z10 (which I know is an anomaly. And has that wide stiff tubeless tyre) I am settled on between 15psi and 20psi at the moment, just fine tuning it. If I went close to what the tyre recommends on the wall, I'd rattle my body to pieces I think!

electric bikes or scooters or mopeds.. definitely not motorbikes

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 10:12 PM, Mrd777 said:

All true,

Relax, and relax... these wheels love a higher psi, like anything new give it time and you will see the light.

I have been running my Z10 at 32 psi since the first time I rode it and found that to be a good pressure as the Z10 rides well for me with that.  I was curious as to how the Z10 handles different tire pressures so I tried dropping from 32 to 26 psi.  Felt different enough that I was no longer comfortable on the wheel.  Similar to my motorcycle with less tire psi, it felt squirrelly and loose.  I tested the lower psi on the same surfaces that I had ridden on just a day prior so I could tell the difference immediately.  I put the pressure back up and felt more comfortable.

I think it comes down to a lot of variables as to the different psi levels that people like and use.  Road surface, experience, riding style and weight of the rider are just a couple.  I'll keep testing to see if there is another psi level that I like.  It may end up that I stick with 32 psi.  I hope to get plenty of opportunities to rack up the miles since I just got the Z10 last Friday and don't have a lot of miles on it yet.

• Like 2

Also... tires obviously keep their round profile with more air, which makes the EUC more nimble, people aren't used to the sensitivity so they drop the pressure.. its a matter of learning a bit again. Its synonymous with seat height on bikes, I cringe looking at riders with low seat heights. Riders just don't want to be uncomfortable to "try" something different. 

I can't ride my KS16x with less then 40 psi., and I weigh 165lbs.  Our wheels zip with higher psi!

Monster v1 with 12 lbs pressure and 145 body weight . Been riding like this for 4100 miles . How do you stay on your euc when you ride on terrible streets at high speeds. Roads are all torn up in illinois . Only 1 flat in 2 years and jt was near valve stem , only problem with running such low pressure . To each his own