Shoes?

GMan

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Rubber laces sound like they would give in easily and make the shoe feel a bit unstable. I made zippers for my shoes!

FA25708B-69E2-4CA7-988E-E39BC4CCE3BE.jpeg.87bfdded431c355a885bd93fad93f8f9.jpeg

kind of, but i like loose shoes.. those look handy

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I swear by cheap roofing boots which unfortunately are no longer carried by my local MartWal. I don't like riding in athletic shoes anymore. I don't feel they protect my feet from 50lb+ wheels and obstacles at high/moderate speeds.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

I swear by cheap roofing boots...

Totally agree with boots, especially boots that cover the ankles to provide some support. I used to just wear normal steel toe work boots that I got during my previous job, liked wearing those a lot more than regular sneakers.

Last year, a buddy of mine had an old (~5yrs old) set of motorcycle boots in my size that he hadn't worn in years, so he let me have them. Unfortunately, they were so old that the glue holding the soles and fittings to the boot came loose after a few weeks of use. I liked the feel and piece of mind riding in them, so I kept repairing them myself until eventually it was enough of a hassle that I decided to just buy a pair myself.

Now I have a pair of Alpinestars SMX-1R vented, and I've loved them so far. Despite being vented boots, they were also warm enough for me to wear in snowy conditions so I'm using them year round. I really like the added security from the stiff soles and ankle/heel protection, but for those who want more "pedal feel" I don't think you can really get that with stiff soles.

• Like 1

I used to ride with MC boots as well, but the complete lack of any and all shock absorption (in the models I tried) ended up being too much for me.

Then there were the basketball sneaker period, but after the second ankle sprain last year I moved on once again.

Then there was the combat boot period. Unfortunately I chose a model that didn’t reform to my foot the way I had expected. 

I’ve been very happy riding with Salomon hiking boots for a good while now. They support the ankle, are rigid enough to suit very long rides, and can fit the cushiest of insoles.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Since my preferred model is no longer stocked I am going to give the Calceus DX a try.

Looks like these are a drop shipping model, just searching them on google shows an identical cheaper shoe with Arillwe branding. Digging a little deeper, they are just one of the colorways of this shoe from Aliexpress available for $30 free shipping. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001623113460.html

Not saying they're necessarily bad shoes, just there's no reason to overpay some dropshippers who have nothing at all to do with the product.

Edited by omuretsu
  • Like 1