Traditional unicycle skills seems to transfer to EUC

PJM

New member here with the purchase of a Glide 3 from Jason.  I have ridden  traditional unicycles both on road and trails for many years.  Wasn't sure how skills would transfer to my first EUC that arrived this week.  Here is how it went:

After fully charging spent 15 minutes in a narrow hallway getting the feel of the glide 3.

Then to the grass backyard 15 minutes on two occasions practicing onboard and off boarding. 

Finally to paved trails for a six mile ride feet up the entire paved ride.

Today, 15 miles at the same park with one minor jump off at speed.

I think the traditional unicycle was a significant factor in the above.  Love this sport.

• Like 3

I would hazard a guess that a traditional unicycle user who also spent some time on a hoverboard would almost instantly be able to ride an EUC.

Now I actually met such a guy, and it took him a surprisingly long time...5 or so minutes...to ride my EUC. He just wasn't getting it until very suddenly he did. I was curious (extremely so) to see how long it would take him on his own, so I gave him no help whatsoever.

And yet...and yet...once he got it he rode far better than almost any of us could. Certainly way better, with way more control, than I could.

I'm guessing an EUC is probably one tenth as hard to learn as a unicycle. Maybe at least 1/20th, 15 minutes versus 5 hours...

although I must confess I have ridden a unicycle around 10 years ago a few times.....after many injuries of course!

Yep, it translates well. :-) 1 minute for SpeedyFeet.

It's incredible that brain remembers skills after so many years!!!

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 1:32 PM, PJM said:

New member here with the purchase of a Glide 3 from Jason.  I have ridden  traditional unicycles both on road and trails for many years.  Wasn't sure how skills would transfer to my first EUC that arrived this week.  Here is how it went:

After fully charging spent 15 minutes in a narrow hallway getting the feel of the glide 3.

Then to the grass backyard 15 minutes on two occasions practicing onboard and off boarding. 

Finally to paved trails for a six mile ride feet up the entire paved ride.

Today, 15 miles at the same park with one minor jump off at speed.

I think the traditional unicycle was a significant factor in the above.  Love this sport.

Yes I've found that regular unicycle riders are by far the quickest to learn how to ride an EUC.

0048eb92-55b0-4aa1-9bf2-a72cb25414f0.thumb.jpeg.c6e1caca0e0835d02fd68234cc4da201.jpeg

i bought a super cheap 24 inch unicycle thinking that my EUC skills will be easily transferred, guess what, it is exactly the opposite, that damn seat just wouldn't balance itself like EUC, you will either fall behind or fall to the front, it is now sitting at my backyard for almost a month already :P 

I was never an expert on a regular unicycle, but I could ride one reasonably well. When I got my EUC I wasn't sure at first, so was practising up and down my long hallway inside my home. But I kept using the walls too much for stability, and because they were so close!

After a couple of days I ventured outside and just went for it, and rode it along first time of asking. I just somehow instinctively knew how to balance, which must have been because of riding a regular unicycle.