Funny, Rude or interesting things said to you while riding?

Blicky Te⚡️la

I’ve gotten a lot of looks and comments in my short time of riding and am wondering why some of the reactions the rest of you guys get.

”You look like the future” - jogger

”Damn you just skipped the 21st century” - female Boston Police officer

”Yo! Look, it’s a transformer” a middle schooler hanging out with his friends. 

• Like 2

I've been doing some "middle of the night" riding to get used to the roads where I live. Out the other night and passed some students coming the opposite way. They just stared. but one girl looked at me like I was an alien and just went "what....the...f**k.....is......that" pointing at me :efee612b4b:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Retrovertigo said:

I've been doing some "middle of the night" riding to get used to the roads where I live. Out the other night and passed some students coming the opposite way. They just stared. but one girl looked at me like I was an alien and just went "what....the...f**k.....is......that" pointing at me :efee612b4b:

Had the same thing at the local shopping center carpark to which I replied" The future baby "

• Like 2

4 hours ago, General Principle said:

Darn, I searched “comments” and couldn’t find a thread. I hate to redo existing topics.

Yeah, the search facility of the forum is the second worst feature (image space being the first).

I use Google, which I will assume you have heard of. in your search, include "site:forum.electricunicycle.org" and it will only search within that site URL...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

The middle aged Lycra clad male bicyclist seems the most prone to making the worst comments.

Lycra clad male to my GF and I fresh from 7AM training: "You guys should walk, you know!"

Just out for a ride while my wife was jogging.  Some older lady looked at me and yelled "I hate that thing" as I approached at less than jogging speed. There are no other local EUC riders that I know of in the area so this is probably the first she had seen.  I mentioned to her it was quite, took up less sidewalk than a bike ride and asked why?  She said because it is going to kill me....  Her husband looked at me, shrugged apologetically as if saying "welcome to my world"....  all other comments that day were extremely positive and enthusiastic.

• Like 3

Guest PogArt Artur

In my experience the people are rather positive, looking at it, recording me out of their cars windows too...

Unfortunately there are the opposite people too.

A week ago I saw the car in my mirror,approaching from behind, I've heard his horn first, then while taking me over,he tried to scare me off by attempting to push me to the side of the kerb...

He stopped at the traffic lights then, so I passed his car.

Honesty, I were tempting to bang his window and ask him "what the %", then on my second thought -> I don't know who is it,might be some thug,drug diller or anybody else...

And I'm riding illegal vehicle on the public street.

That's looked up my mouth and calmed the emotions down...

I just understood, some people, no matter who they are, might don't like us, EUCs riders on their way at all.

I live next door to a retirement home and I must say the older people there (I say older, but you need to be 55 or older to get a flat there, and I'm 55 myself :efee612b4b: ) have been nothing but curious. The only questions they ask are .. "how does it balance?" and "how much did it cost"

Other than that they have been either completely oblivious, or just look on in wonder :) 

• Like 3

On 9/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

One thing that you have to try... When you see a couple of people looking stunned as you approach, pull up right next to them, lift your goggles off (if you wear them), turn to look at them very seriously and ask, "What year is this?"

Yo, LOL! I'm doing this and recording it. Thats hilarious!

• Like 3

I will point out that riding an EUC gets significantly more respect than riding a bicycle.

Being a bicyclist is basically being a cockroach, both pedestrians and drivers dislike you. I've been honked at furiously while standing on one of those bicycle symbols that they paint on the road, at a red light. Which is all ridiculous, because no matter how slow I bicycle through that stretch, I'm way faster than the cars hitting the three red lights (timed perfectly to piss off drivers).

Taking an EUC, especially a big fast 18 incher, is a relief from contemptuous and careless driving that riding a bicycle gives you.

A lady commented “What’s that between your legs?  Normally I would just answer “An electric unicycle” but she was referring to my ink stained crotch caused by a leaky pen in my pocket. :facepalm:

• Like 3

The funniest I had was an old lady when I was practicing "outward" one-footed riding, like when the left foot stands on the right pedal (and hence the right foot without a pedal to stand on), like

She was approaching me with question marks in her eyes and I started to explain that this is an electric unicycle etc etc and she goes: yes, I know, but why are you standing on it in such a strange way?

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

Showed it to my cousin yesterday

Him: "how does it work, how do you balance"

Him: "how far can you go on it? "  oh I reckon about 30 miles or so, not tried yet

Him: "how fast does it go?"

Me: "supposedly 28mph"

Him: jumps up out of the chair "28 miles an hour? 28 miles an hour!! 28......I thought you were gonna say something like 8-10 mph....28 mph! How the f**k do you stay on it at 28mph? You're gonna die" :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

How the f**k do you stay on it at 28mph? You're gonna die

Though I have the same gut feeling even after four years of riding. To keep the risk of severe injury within reasonable limits, self-balancing PEVs should better not be operated above 15-or-so-mph.